Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Replacement Windshield Availability Problems

28K views 167 replies 43 participants last post by  MDPharaoh 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys, can anyone confirm Alfa is having trouble supplying windshield replacements? My car's been sitting and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting...

Thankfully it's winter and roads are ice and salt most of the time, but still, how hard can it be to get a replacement windshield???

Can any of the resident dealers check with their parts department and find out please?

THANK YOU !

#139 ·
I got a nice quarter sized "repaired" nasty blemish from a ract at 75mph a few months ago. I thought about forking up the $1K. Dealership in San Antonio quoted me $3,987 w/o installation. Said that their system said it arrives in a week but he said the last one took 2 months. I have a buddy that works at dodge and his system had the winshield listed at $2,400 and some change lol.

#140 ·
Finally decided it was time to replace my windshield and the shop I choose can't get the windshield. They tried to order through the local Dodge, Jeep, Fiat, Chrysler....blah blah dealership and they can't get it. Buddy works in the parts department there and his system said "blocked for your market". They escalated the concern to Chrysler and they said too bad so sad, can't get it. Contacted @AlfaRomeoCares . Will fill you all in on the journey :crying:

The dealership sublets out to the shop I choose to do the repair and they said there is an aftermarket windshield, but they advised against it. No other details on it other than a price just under $1K for the aftermarket.

#142 ·
who would invest and take all the effort to make a new windshield sitting in their warehouse for such a small volume car?

The "aftermarket" windshield may very well be the OEM who made the one original one. If you look on the internet, majority of the windshield is made by the same company (or same group I should say)

I had mine replaced with an "aftermarket" one , and I am 100 percent sure it came from the same manufacturer as the one came with the car...

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9650 發送

#143 ·
who would invest and take all the effort to make a new windshield sitting in their warehouse for such a small volume car?

The "aftermarket" windshield may very well be the OEM who made the one original one. If you look on the internet, majority of the windshield is made by the same company (or same group I should say)

I had mine replaced with an "aftermarket" one , and I am 100 percent sure it came from the same manufacturer as the one came with the car...

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G9650 發送

Same thickness? (Or should I say 'thinness')

#145 ·
So, really going through some insurance BS right now, they haven't and won't add anything as a supplement until the part is ordered and replaced, and so I ordered the oem glass, and now they're telling me I have to use aftermarket after the fact as they won't pay out for OEM glass. It's bs because, if that's how they were going to do things, why tell me to procure the parts and install them before even approving the expense? Now they said as long as I can contact a glass company and get it in writing that they don't have aftermarket glass available, they'll pay out for the glass. Apparently safelite has it, so I can't reach out to them, do any of you know any other glass companies, similar to safelite I can try?

#147 ·
I'm with the lizard, and to my understanding while they will not force me to put non oem parts on the car, they will only cover the lowest cost alternative. I was told by the adjuster that if I can get any glass supplier to provide written confirmation that they do not make a windshield for my car that they will fully cover the OEM windshield, regardless if another provider (safelite) may have it.

#154 · (Edited)
I had to have the windshield replaced in the M4 once..... it had the special green glass for the HUD. They didn't want to pay for OEM BMW glass but a aftermarket windshield. It states they can use OEM quality replacement parts. So we met in the middle, they paid a bit more than the aftermarket glass and I made up the difference

#160 ·
If you guys are having trouble ordering. Lmk I can order it for you guys through my person. He also gives the list price as well as your actual paid price to the insurance pays the full amount while you only pay the actual invoice amount. It will save you roughly $1000

Attachments

#162 ·
So the glass shop in my shithole border town refused to do my windshield b/c the dont want to fork up the initial cost lol. Decided to go through Safelite in San Antonio. They immediately offered me an appointment for Friday which made me question if it was OEM. It wasn't. I told Geico aftermarket will void my warranty per an email from AlfaRomeoCares and they approved OEM after setting up my appointment. Attached is the invoice with a part number on the aftermarket. Problem is i'm trying to see if they can get the OEM windshield because I doubt they have it in stock and they lady didn't cancel my original appt.

#163 ·
Didn't we go through this topic before? The cars are still being sold new so ALFA must provide windshields for them. How is this any different than any other new car. When you buy a car you expect the manufacturer to provide OEM parts for it for a reasonable period....think by law that is 10 years but I may have the number of years wrong. Personally I would have no problem with an aftermarket version IF it met all the standards of ALFA OE but that includes the thinner glass. But in any case a CAR is something that we should be able to count on being available for our use. A windshield and other major parts should be available from warehouse stock in a reasonable amount of time. Here in the US a broken or badly damaged windshield is not unusual and to drive a car with major damage is against the law as well as a major safety issue. Perhaps they are available....the insurance just doesn't want to pay for it even though they accept our insurance payments for a car that has insurance costs applied appropriate for the type of car.

#164 ·
Hey guys, I got my windshield replaced and my car is finally back with me, I'm getting PPF and a windshield tint put back on tomorrow. As you guys see in the pictures the mic and sensor are not in their proper position. Could any of you guys who haven't replaced your windshields help me out by posting detailed pics of yours. I want to get it to pretty much original spec. Thanks!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.