Backup cameras - Alfa Romeo 4C Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Treetopflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 589
Backup cameras

I’m sure it’s been discussed here and there. But has anyone installed a Bluetooth back up camera? Lots for sale but require the standard 12V connection. On my Abarth, access to power through the trunk was super easy and accessible.
For those that have wired them in to their 4c, where’d you access the 12v power and ground from the trunk or rear area and how’d you remove the trunk itself?
I wondered if it could be wired into the reear lights power source somehow or if there’s a better way.
Very interested in your experiences.
Tom
Treetopflyer is offline  
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
RKBerta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 2,600
Garage
I have a Garmin GPS small model that has the option of receiving an image from their optional BC 30 wireless camera. The camera is easily mounted unobtrusively at the center of the grill portion right below the solid part of the bumper. It gets power from one of the backup lights which is easy to connect to. All wiring can be hidden in the shelf of the bumper under the car. Cars panels don't have to be removed either. When you shift into reverse it automatically comes on. The backup lights also provide more than enough light for lighting the rear view at night time too. I like that this provides an excellent GPS navigator, backup camera, and even wireless connection via USB to my Android phone. I just leave the phone in my pocket and when in the car it auto connects via USB. When a call comes in it runs through the Garmin including voice control. The mike and speaker of the Garmin are used rather than the phone. You have to make sure that your model of Garmin supports the wireless camera....these come in various sizes and models.

The one I have is the smallest size....DriveSmart 50 LMT 5". That LMT designation indicates it is the version that works with the camera. There are NO wires that run into the cabin....it transmits from the camera to the GPS via a small receiver block that is part of the power cable for the Garmin that comes with the camera. Very tidy setup and has worked flawlessly for me for about 3 years.
Scot_Douglas likes this.

LE#498/500 Rosso Red
RKBerta is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Treetopflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBerta View Post
I have a Garmin GPS small model that has the option of receiving an image from their optional BC 30 wireless camera. The camera is easily mounted unobtrusively at the center of the grill portion right below the solid part of the bumper. It gets power from one of the backup lights which is easy to connect to. All wiring can be hidden in the shelf of the bumper under the car. Cars panels don't have to be removed either. When you shift into reverse it automatically comes on. The backup lights also provide more than enough light for lighting the rear view at night time too. I like that this provides an excellent GPS navigator, backup camera, and even wireless connection via USB to my Android phone. I just leave the phone in my pocket and when in the car it auto connects via USB. When a call comes in it runs through the Garmin including voice control. The mike and speaker of the Garmin are used rather than the phone. You have to make sure that your model of Garmin supports the wireless camera....these come in various sizes and models.

The one I have is the smallest size....DriveSmart 50 LMT 5". That LMT designation indicates it is the version that works with the camera. There are NO wires that run into the cabin....it transmits from the camera to the GPS via a small receiver block that is part of the power cable for the Garmin that comes with the camera. Very tidy setup and has worked flawlessly for me for about 3 years.
thanks. I’ll have a look into that
krelubot likes this.
Treetopflyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
4Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,840
Garage
Moved to Electronics section.

Suggest a search of "camera" in thread titles - there are a number of really good suggestions.

I have this one:
https://www.4c-forums.com/13-electro...ew-camera.html

Seems to work OK, but not a lot of miles on it.

Canadian Tire carries it and occasionally it comes on sale. Amazon is another option.

There are a lot of other great options presented on the forum, depending on what you want, how much you wish to spend, and what kind of install you are prepared to make.
I really liked the 360' camera idea, but that thread died before the OP posted back about it.

APEX PREDATOR

Respect the Snake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4Canada is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Treetopflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Canada View Post
Moved to Electronics section.

Suggest a search of "camera" in thread titles - there are a number of really good suggestions.

I have this one:
https://www.4c-forums.com/13-electro...ew-camera.html

Seems to work OK, but not a lot of miles on it.

Canadian Tire carries it and occasionally it comes on sale. Amazon is another option.

There are a lot of other great options presented on the forum, depending on what you want, how much you wish to spend, and what kind of install you are prepared to make.
I really liked the 360' camera idea, but that thread died before the OP posted back about it.
thanks for moving to a more appropriate category.
I find the search function leaves a bit to be desired. I try to search but end up giving up since it either yields too little or too much (often unrelated) info. Maybe it’s just me though.
I ended up buying a Bluetooth camera that uses my iPhone. But it needs to be wired into 12v. I’m a bit nervous to operate on this car. Much more than I was on my Abarth. That car seemed very tamper friendly. The 4c not as much.
Anyone who can offer tidbits of good info on wiring into 12v and removing the rear trunk tub (if required) would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCC03463-D2EC-4215-A1C4-76853E7D72ED_1550785405395.jpg (30.6 KB, 39 views)
Treetopflyer is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
RKBerta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 2,600
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
thanks for moving to a more appropriate category.
I find the search function leaves a bit to be desired. I try to search but end up giving up since it either yields too little or too much (often unrelated) info. Maybe its just me though.
I ended up buying a Bluetooth camera that uses my iPhone. But it needs to be wired into 12v. Im a bit nervous to operate on this car. Much more than I was on my Abarth. That car seemed very tamper friendly. The 4c not as much.
Anyone who can offer tidbits of good info on wiring into 12v and removing the rear trunk tub (if required) would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
You can get 12 volt power directly from one of the two backup lights. Since they only come on in reverse they are ideal. Both light supply positive and negative connection right at the wires into the light. You don't have to remove the trunk, etc. Ideally if you remove the rear wheel and tire it gives a bit more room to work but you will need a way to get the car off the ground a few inches. I have a Ranger Quick Jack which raises all corners of the car and acts as jack stands too so very handy and safe. Since there is a bit of a shelf in the bumper under the car, there is space to stash any wiring, etc. out of sight. Worked great for powering my Garmin backup camera.
CJeazy likes this.

LE#498/500 Rosso Red
RKBerta is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Treetopflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBerta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
thanks for moving to a more appropriate category.
I find the search function leaves a bit to be desired. I try to search but end up giving up since it either yields too little or too much (often unrelated) info. Maybe it’s just me though.
I ended up buying a Bluetooth camera that uses my iPhone. But it needs to be wired into 12v. I’m a bit nervous to operate on this car. Much more than I was on my Abarth. That car seemed very tamper friendly. The 4c not as much.
Anyone who can offer tidbits of good info on wiring into 12v and removing the rear trunk tub (if required) would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
You can get 12 volt power directly from one of the two backup lights. Since they only come on in reverse they are ideal. Both light supply positive and negative connection right at the wires into the light. You don't have to remove the trunk, etc. Ideally if you remove the rear wheel and tire it gives a bit more room to work but you will need a way to get the car off the ground a few inches. I have a Ranger Quick Jack which raises all corners of the car and acts as jack stands too so very handy and safe. Since there is a bit of a shelf in the bumper under the car, there is space to stash any wiring, etc. out of sight. Worked great for powering my Garmin backup camera.
that’s great. That exactly what I’ll do.
Maybe I could tap power and ground from the rear red lights so the power would be on as long as the lights were turned on?
If not the backup light is a perfect alternative.
Treetopflyer is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Junior Member
 
crimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Clearwater FL
Posts: 24
I bought on ebay a license plate light with camera for a Fiat Punto. They are $24.


It fits where our license plate light goes (you retain the light). Then drill a small hole in the trunk and connect the camera to a small wifi transmitter also available on ebay for about $35. Wire the power for the transmitter and camera to the license plate light. When I need the camera I turn on the lights, find on the wifi signal on my Iphone and see the screen on the downloaded app. Works great and easy to install.

Launch Edition 4C
Stelvio Quadrifoglio
crimbo is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Treetopflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
I bought on ebay a license plate light with camera for a Fiat Punto. They are $24.


It fits where our license plate light goes (you retain the light). Then drill a small hole in the trunk and connect the camera to a small wifi transmitter also available on ebay for about $35. Wire the power for the transmitter and camera to the license plate light. When I need the camera I turn on the lights, find on the wifi signal on my Iphone and see the screen on the downloaded app. Works great and easy to install.
good info.
Do you happen to have the links by chance?
Treetopflyer is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Junior Member
 
crimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Clearwater FL
Posts: 24
Try these. I literally just searched ebay for "backup camera license plate light fiat punto" and "wifi transmitter"





https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Reverse...Phz3:rk:1:pf:0


https://www.ebay.com/itm/903W-Car-Ba...js0%2F5A%3D%3D
alfaguy likes this.

Launch Edition 4C
Stelvio Quadrifoglio
crimbo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backup Sensor. Not active until close? Superfluous Electronics 15 03-03-2019 02:32 PM
Single Din Unit with Backup Camera Screen (No Motorized Popup)? Superfluous Electronics 8 02-21-2019 01:14 PM
LED backup lights Treetopflyer Appearance & Body 4 11-19-2018 05:49 PM
rear view mirror with integrated backup cam psychofox Electronics 6 01-26-2018 09:52 PM
Backup Camera for 4C Spider ginaiorizzo Interior 5 07-26-2017 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome