NITRON R1 vs NOVITEC corse+ black série or novitec competition - Alfa Romeo 4C Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
NITRON R1 vs NOVITEC corse+ black série or novitec competition

for 90% mountain road & 10% track usage, fair price suspension upgrade < 3000€
any comparison (tests, Driving) between solutions in title ?
i exclude KW v2 as i feel too soft springs found here
jeannot is offline  
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
4Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,085
Garage
+1 for people's thoughts on this.

APEX PREDATOR

Respect the Snake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4Canada is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannot View Post
for 90% mountain road & 10% track usage, fair price suspension upgrade < 3000€
any comparison (tests, Driving) between solutions in title ?
i exclude KW v2 as i feel too soft springs found here
https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...on-ntr-r3.html

https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...se-please.html

https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...on-shocks.html

https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...ave-given.html

https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...a-alfa-4c.html

https://www.4c-forums.com/14-tires-w...a-alfa-4c.html

Last edited by Y Cymro; 05-11-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Y Cymro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Centerburg, OHIO USA
Posts: 2,217
I think its going to be a tad bit hard to find comparative insight.
99% of people stick with their initial choice of coilover and not swap/upgrade in the last 3+ years.
So you might get a few opinions on the Corse Blacks and even less on the Nitrons but I do not know of anyone including vendors who has done side by side comparison (except [email protected] who has tested all his Novitec models but then again not against the Nitrons).

The only true comparison will be whatever aftermarket coilover the owner went with compared to stock.
I believe even the most aggressive/progressive modder among us, Tom (CallMeAl) went straight from stock to Nitrons. Correct me if I’m wrong Tom.

Upgrading to Nitron 3-ways from my Novitec Corse is on my eventual to do mod list but I would like to do a Supersprint HFC exhaust system first which is almost the same amount of money.

But I think people can offer suggestions or recommendations of what their experience of upgrading their coilovers from stock given your description of where and how you drive.

Other simple things to consider if not already done which will positively impact your canyon carving is [email protected]’s Intermediate spacers and his rear suspension A arms. Hope this helps.
4Canada, Alfanut, CJeazy and 1 others like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OKADAs | EC E+D P2 | EC V2 CAI | EC Silicone | MF Stradale | BRAILLE 2317
NOVITEC Corse+ COs | S111 endlinks/rotors | RAYBESTOS ST45 pads | SS brakelines | AW Spacers
NOVITEC N11 & R888/RS3/MPSS | WORK VSXX & YOKOHAMA S.Drives
PIONEER AVH7700BT | U260 NAV | ND-BC6 camera | custom CF center console | RG ebrake boot |Alcantara A Pillars | Centerline paddle extensions | NOVITEC CF engine cover | 35% ceramic tint | XPEL Ultimate
[email protected]
Docron is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docron View Post
I think its going to be a tad bit hard to find comparative insight.
99% of people stick with their initial choice of coilover and not swap/upgrade in the last 3+ years.
So you might get a few opinions on the Corse Blacks and even less on the Nitrons but I do not know of anyone including vendors who has done side by side comparison (except [email protected] who has tested all his Novitec models but then again not against the Nitrons).

The only true comparison will be whatever aftermarket coilover the owner went with compared to stock.
I believe even the most aggressive/progressive modder among us, Tom (CallMeAl) went straight from stock to Nitrons. Correct me if I’m wrong Tom.

Upgrading to Nitron 3-ways from my Novitec Corse is on my eventual to do mod list but I would like to do a Supersprint HFC exhaust system first which is almost the same amount of money.

But I think people can offer suggestions or recommendations of what their experience of upgrading their coilovers from stock given your description of where and how you drive.

Other simple things to consider if not already done which will positively impact your canyon carving is [email protected]faworkshop’s Intermediate spacers and his rear suspension A arms. Hope this helps.
Good feedback Doc.....
ehagerty is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
DrPyro2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,267
Garage
@Docron is completely correct. The only person that I'm aware of (at this point) is Call me Al who has upgraded his Bilstein 1-way to Nitron R3. He spends most of his life on the track, so it made sense for that upgrade. Most of us have upgrade from the base suspension to some adjustable version. I have Ohlin's 2-way, and I would have a hard time recommending them (not that you can actually buy them anymore). They are "good", but noisy.

Personally, I would recommend the Nitron R1 for your use profile. In the US, it seems to have taken over as "most popular" 1-way version (I would guess the Bilstein was the most popular prior to that). The very nice advantage of the Nitron is that the canister on the front is attached to the shock so you don't have to try and attach the canister. My Ohlins are difficult because we "hid" the canister behind the fender liner.
4Canada and CJeazy like this.

2015 Alfa Rosso Coupe (SE) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EuroCompulsion V1 AIS | Pogea Silicone | Capristo Exhaust (Valved) |
Ohlin 2-way | S111 Swaybars & endlinks | Girodisc Rotors | PFC-11 pads | Rudi's UniBalls (Rear) |
S111 Harness Bar | Technocaft T2S Seats | Schroth PROFI II 6-point |
OZ ALLEGGERITA 17/18 - Falken RT615K+ | OEM 18/19 - Pirelli PZero | XPEL Ultimate (Full)
DrPyro2k is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro2k View Post
@Docron is completely correct. The only person that I'm aware of (at this point) is Call me Al who has upgraded his Bilstein 1-way to Nitron R3. He spends most of his life on the track, so it made sense for that upgrade. Most of us have upgrade from the base suspension to some adjustable version. I have Ohlin's 2-way, and I would have a hard time recommending them (not that you can actually buy them anymore). They are "good", but noisy.

Personally, I would recommend the Nitron R1 for your use profile. In the US, it seems to have taken over as "most popular" 1-way version (I would guess the Bilstein was the most popular prior to that). The very nice advantage of the Nitron is that the canister on the front is attached to the shock so you don't have to try and attach the canister. My Ohlins are difficult because we "hid" the canister behind the fender liner.
How do these all compare to the std race suspension option for mainly back road/mtn/light track days?
ehagerty is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Rainier G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 130
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro2k View Post
@Docron is completely correct. The only person that I'm aware of (at this point) is Call me Al who has upgraded his Bilstein 1-way to Nitron R3. He spends most of his life on the track, so it made sense for that upgrade. Most of us have upgrade from the base suspension to some adjustable version. I have Ohlin's 2-way, and I would have a hard time recommending them (not that you can actually buy them anymore). They are "good", but noisy.

Personally, I would recommend the Nitron R1 for your use profile. In the US, it seems to have taken over as "most popular" 1-way version (I would guess the Bilstein was the most popular prior to that). The very nice advantage of the Nitron is that the canister on the front is attached to the shock so you don't have to try and attach the canister. My Ohlins are difficult because we "hid" the canister behind the fender liner.
Are you using Alfaworks wishbones?
Rainier G is online now  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
DrPyro2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,267
Garage
I would say there are two main reasons to go aftermarket.

1) Adjustable - If you are skilled, you can adjust the suspension to the track and weather conditions. I basically have 2 settings for my Ohlin's (Road & Track). Once I get to the track, I adjust them fairly easily, then readjust to go home. One time I forgot to adjust and I noted the different ride the INSTANTLY in the first corner. More body roll, softer compression, etc... I wouldn't get them to adjust to a canyon road vs standard street road. I just don't think there is enough predictability in most canyons roads to "optimize" the suspension.

2) Ability to curb hop - This is where I think most track drivers will notice the biggest difference. The stock race suspension is not bad, but it tends to upset the car more than it could when you take a curb. My experience is that the aftermarket are much better about taking a curb without upsetting the balance of the car that much.

Frankly, I would do a good alignment (Jamie's Road or Intermediate blocks) with the stock suspension and call it "good" for mountain roads and very light track use. The biggest gains for track fun are 1) Alignment 2) Rudi's rear bearings and 3) Better seat support (CGLock). Until you get much more track serious, then 4) suspension and adjustable swaybars 5) Race harness and race seat.
4Canada and wrh3 like this.

2015 Alfa Rosso Coupe (SE) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EuroCompulsion V1 AIS | Pogea Silicone | Capristo Exhaust (Valved) |
Ohlin 2-way | S111 Swaybars & endlinks | Girodisc Rotors | PFC-11 pads | Rudi's UniBalls (Rear) |
S111 Harness Bar | Technocaft T2S Seats | Schroth PROFI II 6-point |
OZ ALLEGGERITA 17/18 - Falken RT615K+ | OEM 18/19 - Pirelli PZero | XPEL Ultimate (Full)
DrPyro2k is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
DrPyro2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,267
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier G View Post
Are you using Alfaworks wishbones?
I have Alfaworks front spacers & Race Alignment. The fronts are still stock bushings. The rears do have Rudi's Uni-balls installed (it makes a HUGE difference in feel). That said, Nimo's race shop has developed a new rear A-arm and is developing a new front A-Arm. Once completed, I will move over to those completely. This will give me more adjust-ability then I can currently achieve with the stock arms.
Nimo likes this.

2015 Alfa Rosso Coupe (SE) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EuroCompulsion V1 AIS | Pogea Silicone | Capristo Exhaust (Valved) |
Ohlin 2-way | S111 Swaybars & endlinks | Girodisc Rotors | PFC-11 pads | Rudi's UniBalls (Rear) |
S111 Harness Bar | Technocaft T2S Seats | Schroth PROFI II 6-point |
OZ ALLEGGERITA 17/18 - Falken RT615K+ | OEM 18/19 - Pirelli PZero | XPEL Ultimate (Full)
DrPyro2k is offline  
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Novitec Black 15mm Wheel Spacers & Lug Bolts DerwoodEE Classifieds 2 07-18-2017 09:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome