I have some questions to ask ...
- What is "Pops and Bangs" ? Is it the same as the back pressure sound some of "uncivilized" us called ... fart ? To be honest, I got these fart sounds more with the stock exhaust than the Corsa, while in general, the later is louder. See the Video we have posted, its essentially over-run created by altering deceleration timing maps. (No fuel dumps)
- I kind of like the idea of the intercooler. However, without the upgraded ECU, does it help in the ... pops and bangs ? The intercooler will benefit any phase, including stock. Calibrating the vehicle will take full advantage of the added components.
- Next, those Phase 1,2, 3 ECU upgrades. As I understand, is it required to have the upgrades for mid-pipe/exhaust, spark plugs, V2, intercooler before considering the Phase 3. I had Corsa and V2 already, so spark plugs and intercooler are next. However, while not yet talking about any ECU upgrade, will I see a performance gain ? Yes the car will take advantage to a degree of the modifications but to a lesser degree than having the car tuned. these cars are wide-band with adaptive logic.
- I did not have the EuroCompulsion ECU upgrade kit/whatever at any phase. So I understand, there are 3 phases now, or 3 "grades" right ? Yes correct. Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3.
For each phase, there are 2 options, one is for me to send you my stock ECU, you do your SW write over, then send it back to me. The second option is to buy from you an ECU with upgraded SW for the Phase I want, keeping my own stock ECU. The second option is much more expensive than the first option at any phase. (if that is the case, why do we go with second option, what is the trade off ? The clone allows you to preserve you factory ECU for warranty concerns, what people may not realize is that a New ECM for these cars cost $1600+, we need to purchase them to create the clone. Hence the price.
Car warranty get voided if we muck with original stock ECU ? - Technically yes but it would not be something that is generally looked for, unless the car was driven. It will also contain your VIN.
- another side question, when you mention pipe exhaust upgrade, what is that ? does that mean the catless pipe ? will that fail smog test ? Essentially we want the exhaust to able to flow better, the stock mid-pipe on these cars narrow to 1.6", after market systems such as the center-line & magnaflow systems run a 2.5" diameter throughout. These are cat-back systems that do not effect emissions. We do have the Supersprint and Notivec down-pipe options available, those will alter the cat.