Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the plane for a short while (this is a 22hr flight in two legs) and while looking through the movie list I was reminded of one entitled ‘The Art of Racing in the Rain’. The title grabbed my attention so gave it a chance. It’s not about cars or driving but the story involves a driver and his dog. A bit of tear-jerker if you’ve a faithful four-legged companion and/or illness in your family. A nice story with moments of sadness along with inspiration all told from the point of view of mans’ best friend. An enjoyable way to spend 100min while sitting in an aeroplane. Keep the handkerchief handy.

If you’ve seen it, what do you think? Anyone have any other obscure car/driver movies to recommend (and please not ‘Days of Thunder’)?

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Yeah, the Garth Stein novel / movie title is a bit deceptive. And a tear jerker. Bought the movie for my wife for a stocking stuffer. She got the book last Christmas. Some of the racing scenes were filmed at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (the old Mosport Formula 1 track).

How about Smokey and the Bandit (the original, not the trash for cash sequels)?

Cannonball Run?

Quasi documentary, Senna (2010)?

Bullitt?

The Italian Job (1969 Michaiel Caine version)?

For family, “The Love Bug”?

Le mans (1971)?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the Garth Stein novel / movie title is a bit deceptive. And a tear jerker. Bought the movie for my wife for a stocking stuffer. She got the book last Christmas. Some of the racing scenes were filmed at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (the old Mosport Formula 1 track).

How about Smokey and the Bandit (the original, not the trash for cash sequels)?

Cannonball Run?

Quasi documentary, Senna (2010)?

Bullitt?

The Italian Job (1969 Michaiel Caine version)?

For family, “The Love Bug”?

Le mans (1971)?
I thought you were busy? Having a slow day? 😁

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't want to be caught watching a film holding a handkerchief or any type of tissue. o_O
I told my wife I caught something in my eye.....then recommended the movie to her. She was a blubbering wreck. Misses our pup.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,771 Posts
Saw the movie when it first came out. Just so-so reviews and after seeing it I agreed. Wasn't so much of a car racing movie as a human/animal interest movie. The Ford/Ferrari movie was much better although it had a LOT of facts wrong. But highly recommended. I have seen most of the movies mentioned above. The most faithful car racing movie was the LeMans movie. Steve McQueen was a fanatic about getting the movie right and since he was a famous race driver also (that was more interesting to him than acting evidently) he had the chops to know what to show. There was a documentary about the making of the movie which was superlative also.
As far as other movie recommendations....how about "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo" ;-) That movie has a special place for me because it was filmed at Laguna Seca and my Bay Area Alfa Owners club supplied several cars and members as extras that were shown in the movie. Sadly I had to work so couldn't participate.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
My favorite car films are those such as Climb Dance or The RUF Yellowbird on the Nürburgring. Petrolicious has some nice short films, too.

I won't watch Ford vs Ferrari or other car/racing movies. I've tried; they all make me cringe. I can't stand movies, and those on topics I know about or care about make me physically ill. Actually, I have this thing against fiction or fictionalized events 'inspired by a true story.'

That's why Days of Thunder is awesome. It's so insanely stupid it's actually good.

Now let me go check my manifold temperature on my laptop and shift in 19th gear as I double clutch for speed.

😂 😂 😂

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts

That's why Days of Thunder is awesome. It's so insanely stupid it's actually good.

Now let me go check my manifold temperature on my laptop and shift in 19th gear as I double clutch for speed.

😂 😂 😂
Yeah, flying movies get me to gag for much the same reasons.

Meanwhile,

How about The Green Hell, documentary of the Nurburgring?

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Then, there's RUSH.

And when looking up the IMDB reference for The Green Hell, a few others I'd never heard of came up.

"1", a documentary about F1 in its heyday.

McLaren, about Bruce McLaren

So, that of course calls for one about Williams

Not to be outdone, Ferrari: Race to Immortality.
Love the description of this one: "Ferrari: Race to Immortality tells the story of the loves and losses, triumphs and tragedy of Ferrari's most celebrated drivers in an era where they lived la dolce vita during the week and it was win or die on any given Sunday."

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just arrived back in Oz to a surprisingly cool evening. As I said in my brief review Racing in the Rain, it isn’t about driving or cars, but for those with a particular love of dogs, it’s not bad, especially if you’ve been away from home for a while and miss your favourite fur baby.
When we arrived home this evening our beagle kept running around to each each of us, whimpering and tail wagging excitedly for minutes, so glad was he to see us. A lovely welcome home.

I know of all the mainstream movies mentioned, but are there any OBSCURE titles that anyone has viewed that has unexpectedly piqued their interest with cars or driving as a subplot? Not ones directly about racing or driving.....For motorcyclists, ‘On any Sunday’ was great in the same vein as ‘The Endless Summer’ was to surfing but too well known to be classified as obscure.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
American Graffiti (sorry, world) is (if I remember correctly) the first movie I remember where cars and the personal and cultural connection to them meant something to the movie.

If I recall correctly, one car guy went off to fight in Vietnam and didn't come home, and there was another part when someone died in a car accident. But cars where an essential component and big cultural component.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
American Graffiti (sorry, world) is (if I remember correctly) the first movie I remember where cars and the personal and cultural connection to them meant something to the movie.

If I recall correctly, one car guy went off to fight in Vietnam and didn't come home, and there was another part when someone died in a car accident. But cars where an essential component and big cultural component.
Great movie. I was teenager when it first came out and it reminds me of those times. There was a retro, back to the 50s movement that it inspired over here in the 70s, along with the first two series of Happy Days (forget the rest).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts