Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know... wth?!

So I don't plan on driving the car in winter, shipping is almost $2k and I just want to get the thing home.

It's about a 7 hour hwy drive away from me - Windsor to Ottawa.

Will these fit all around Ceco - Steel Wheel Wheels - Black - 17" x 6.5", 5 x 98, 58.1 mm, 35 mm - PMCtire Canada ?
PMCTire matches these to the car and does not present an 18" rear option.

For $1k I can slap some decent winters on these and use them for those emergency winter driving times (which will be few).

I have to travel to the dealer anyway for signing, etc., so I may as well bring the car back with me.

Other option is to wait for freak warm day of at least +4c and just drive on the Pirellis.

If I absolutely have to choke down the $2 shipping cost I will, but geez... seems like a lot for 700 kms.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
17,947 Posts
Yeah, I know... wth?!

So I don't plan on driving the car in winter, shipping is almost $2k and I just want to get the thing home.

It's about a 7 hour hwy drive away from me - Windsor to Ottawa.

Will these fit all around Ceco - Steel Wheel Wheels - Black - 17" x 6.5", 5 x 98, 58.1 mm, 35 mm - PMCtire Canada ?
PMCTire matches these to the car and does not present an 18" rear option.

For $1k I can slap some decent winters on these and use them for those emergency winter driving times (which will be few).

I have to travel to the dealer anyway for signing, etc., so I may as well bring the car back with me.

Other option is to wait for freak warm day of at least +4c and just drive on the Pirellis.

If I absolutely have to choke down the $2 shipping cost I will, but geez... seems like a lot for 700 kms.

Thanks in advance.
You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.

Surely the snows and rims aren't going to cost you much less than shipping would?
You're probably fine, but there's always that potential freak snow squall around Woodstock / Kitchener to contend with! If you can pick your day, I'd say wait and find some decent weather and just drive it as-is. There's nothing above freezing in the next two weeks (and some pretty effing cold stuff coming the week after next). Even if it warms up, that is usually accompanied by snow or freezing drizzle. I'd rather go in cold on a sunny day with dry pavement.

Good luck. Wave as you go by London!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.

Surely the snows and rims aren't going to cost you much less than shipping would?
You're probably fine, but there's always that potential freak snow squall around Woodstock / Kitchener to contend with! If you can pick your day, I'd say wait and find some decent weather and just drive it as-is. There's nothing above freezing in the next two weeks (and some pretty effing cold stuff coming the week after next). Even if it warms up, that is usually accompanied by snow or freezing drizzle. I'd rather go in cold on a sunny day with dry pavement.

Good luck. Wave as you go by London!
Thanks!

For reference.

4 x 17" Continental Vikings (winterIce) on the steelies mentioned shipped for $1065 all in.

I've been buying all my tires/wheels from pmctire.com for a loonngg time. A ridiculous number of wheels and tires for 1 person I'm sure.

·
Registered
961 Posts
FWIW, I've done my fair share of winter driving with sports or sporty cars over my years. Typically the issue is not the tires. Typically, the issue is weight and ground clearance with bad weather. Are you planning to use this setup going forward? If not, it seems like quite an expense for a single use when a transport might be a better option.

EDIT: Looks like you are considering just shipping it now...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought my 4C in the middle of Jan, from a dealer in Ohio. I live in Michigan, about a 4-hour drive from the dealer. The car had the stock Pirelli tires. I also worried about driving it to my home In the winter. I considered having it shipped but the dealer said I could leave it with him until I was ready to pick it up. I did leave it with the dealer and waited for the 1st decent day of weather. Ten days later that day came and I went to pick it up and drive it home. I did choose a route that was a little longer, but which I knew would be less traveled.
While at the dealer I wrapped the front of the car in some of that clear protective covering that is used to temporarily protect cars on long road trips. And then removed it when I got it home. I just drove very conservatively and was very aware of any traffic near to me. No problems.
One reason that I did not want to have it shipped is that I had heard of others that had problems with having their cars shipped. Wanted to avoid that.
Had no problems with the wheels or tires. I made a big deal out of all this and did a lot of worrying for no good reason.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I drove mine home in 2" snow on the cold day of purchase in Jan. 2016 (150 miles STL to DEC ). The blue DNA mode is awesome. Everybody was pretty careful around it on the interstate because I was taking it easy and they all slowed down to take a phone video! It must have been like spotting a live unicorn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove mine home in 2" snow on the cold day of purchase in Jan. 2016 (150 miles STL to DEC ). The blue DNA mode is awesome. Everybody was pretty careful around it on the interstate because I was taking it easy and they all slowed down to take a phone video! It must have been like spotting a live unicorn.
Brass ones for sure...

I don't think I'd want to go through that for 700km (420) miles - but the route for me is 99% major hwy which is always clean and clear. As long as it's a sunny day and I take it easy I should be ok, so I may just wait for 1 decent day to show up on the forecast and plan for that.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Need pics on steelies!
FWIW, you can get some interesting custom steel wheels made very cheaply. There is a company that makes custom steelies for race cars. I had a buddy get some for his RX7 many (many) years ago. It didn't look as bad as I feared it might:

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
390 Posts
Here is a different option if you plan on getting new summer tires later. Get a set of all seasons, or winters, installed on your car and enjoy the drive.

Decent chance that the current tires are old/worn and you will toss them anyway for new summer tires. Search the multitude of threads on the OEM tires +/-.

You can buy a second set of wheels or swap tires on one set. I have two sets of wheels. Bought the second set used for a good price. I am using General GMAX all seasons, they drive well.

Otherwise I’d probably just pick a decent weather day and drive it home as-is. I drove my car new with OEM tires below 0 degrees C, no issues for a highway drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a different option if you plan on getting new summer tires later. Get a set of all seasons, or winters, installed on your car and enjoy the drive.

Decent chance that the current tires are old/worn and you will toss them anyway for new summer tires. Search the multitude of threads on the OEM tires +/-.
Thanks. It's a good thought, but all 4 tires were replaced less than a year ago and only have about 4k km's on them so the rubber is basically like new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts