Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
We also have the same engine in a 4c in the workshop undergoing its pre delivery inspection, The Mito has been up and running with its 2.0 litre 4C engine since late last year and has been doing a lot of track testing since then including its first race last Saturday!

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
We also have the same engine in a 4c in the workshop undergoing its pre delivery inspection, The Mito has been up and running with its 2.0 litre 4C engine since late last year and has been doing a lot of track testing since then including its first race last Saturday!
How’d it go? (Mito in its race)

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Well we were in second place to a 4.0 litre supercharged GTV but some muppet did their sums wrong and..............we ran out of fuel, I was working on 8mpg, big mistake it does around 6 mpg at race speeds! With a bit more work we can get the top slot.
Oh dear. Sounds more than promising though. How many race miles do you intend doing before tearing it down and having a look at how the engine internals are doing?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wait!

A lot of credit has to go to ricky1750 on the forum who stepped in at two days notice to drive the car having only done 5 laps in it and never having driven the circuit before, well done Ricky! We think that he may be able to shave some time from his laps given a little more time in the seat!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 3 Ferraris + 6MT 997.2 RWB'd
651 Posts
The performance differential from oem and a true auto-manual (am I reading this right? Or are you actually saying I will row gears and have a third pedal?!?!) transmission, you're on rails to having another US customer for the 2.0 build. Track days see me taking a lap or two to pass cars like the atom, but your MiTo slides by in just one section after the corner! This is what the 4c deserved from factory.

·
Registered
651 Posts
On the Mito 2.0 we have a third pedal but on a 4C we use the auto box.
I wonder (for those of us that want pleasure rather than speed) if a 2.0 n/a build with ITB's can achieve the same or more power as OEM? Was there any way to generate an educated guess if that's realistic while wrapping your head around this project?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The most you will get out of a n/a engine is around 210-220 bhp
Is that an Alfa motor specifically?

If Renault can get 200hp out of their road F4r motors and Honda can get 250hp out of their production N/A S2000 motors, surely a worked race 2 litre could achieve similar power to the Honda?

·
Registered
651 Posts
The most you will get out of a n/a engine is around 210-220 bhp
Interesting... Maybe given the weight savings from the turbo/cooling, etc? The valvetrain I feel will be where our four will differ greatly with the F20C, and the cost of working/swapping/etc the turbo to make big power versus a higher revving and crazy lightweight n/a (despite the ~200hp) might make for two very different approaches but with similar budgets!(?) Subscribed

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
162 Posts
Peak horsepower numbers... meh... what really matters is mid-range torque. The above mentioned NA 4-pots all put out less than half the torque our turbo 1.75's produce on a Stage 1 tune. Until someone figures out how to shoehorn a decent displacement V-6 in here, forced induction is a pre-requisite.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Peak horsepower numbers... meh... what really matters is mid-range torque. The above mentioned NA 4-pots all put out less than half the torque our turbo 1.75's produce on a Stage 1 tune. Until someone figures out how to shoehorn a decent displacement V-6 in here, forced induction is a pre-requisite.
I had an S2000 for about a year (twice, AP1 and AP2) and I feel this... It felt too "teenager" where the 4c/Mountune Focus RS feels "adult". The S2000 leaves you wanting more in nearly most street situations, you know, the one's where you aren't breaking laws lol.
Now with most V8's dropping into v6-sizes again (~3L), makes sense to just look at a smoother, higher-revving power delivery in our OEM IMNO (in my new opinion), or otherwise give Zytec/the guy that welded two 'Busa fours a call and swap the whole deal. And then there's what Cosworth did with just three cylinders, and Koneigsegg's three cylinder in the Gemera, so maybe we'll be talking lobbing off some weight and hybridizing in five, ten years.
The experience shows, 2.0 and better turbo really is the sweet spot

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would be interested in a manual gearbox in the 4C as well!

Any TCM tune, hydraulic/pump...etc outside the transmission upgrades to handle the additional power + reliability?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Maybe call Cosworth, ask whether they can sell you half of a GMA T.50 engine.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Well you all know we put our 4C 2.0 litre engine conversion in a Mito Mule for testing well here is a little video of how well it goes, its the black car that leads up until the safety car comes out!

Love the hand gesture from the driver of the camera car in lap 2 it says it all really!

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
USA 2 liter fans, this car is all done and running on the roads.
Just finished break-in miles, and it's ready for the dyno next.

We are offering this as 100% build package, or as a parts package and you have your engine builder finish it.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts