Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting comparison!

The Alfa Romeo 4C is the only vehicle to date that could potentially replace my Lotus Elise SC!

I have not seen any other vehicle come close to the Lotus mantra of "performance through lightweight" ... except now for the Alfa Romeo 4C! Phenomenal!

The Lotus Elise is a street legal go-cart with everything non-essential stripped to preserve very low weight.

The 4C enters 33 lbs lighter and includes the expected and current modern luxuries and technology!

Look at the torque difference ... 102 lb/ft! Wow!

Well done Alfa Romeo - now please just fix those hideous headlights!

·
Registered
23 Posts
jpkeyzer said:
An interesting comparison!

The Alfa Romeo 4C is the only vehicle to date that could potentially replace my Lotus Elise SC!

I have not seen any other vehicle come close to the Lotus mantra of "performance through lightweight" ... except now for the Alfa Romeo 4C! Phenomenal!

The Lotus Elise is a street legal go-cart with everything non-essential stripped to preserve very low weight.

The 4C enters 33 lbs lighter and includes the expected and current modern luxuries and technology!

Look at the torque difference ... 102 lb/ft! Wow!

Well done Alfa Romeo - now please just fix those hideous headlights!

And slightly better looking...:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
L/W/H
8C 172/75/53
911 177/71/51
Cayman 172/71/51
4C 157/82/47
Elise 149/73/44

The 82.3" width on the 4C looks wrong. I found a few articles siting ~78" wide. Still very wide.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alstoy said:
The 8C is 172/75/53 L/W/H. The 82.3" width on the 4C looks wrong. I found a few articles siting ~78" wide. Still very wide.
Interesting. The dimensions quoted above are from the official Alfa Romeo 4C website.

Would you mind providing links to the articles you reference?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alstoy said:
Here are the ones on the 8c and 4c:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-alfa-romeo-4c-photos-and-info-news
That is interesting - Car and Driver does quote a width of "78.7 inches".

However, Alfa Romeo provides the following official dimensions:

Length: 3989mm (157.0 inches)

Width: 2090mm (82.3 inches)

Height: 1183mm (46.6 inches)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The main way to look at this comparison is that the Elise SC did what the 4C does today, back in 2008.
THIS is why I'm again not going to buy the 4C… it's just not moving the needle.

Not to mention the Elise engine is WAY WAY more reliable, as it's a Toyota engine.
The Elise interior has better quality materials, and (arguably) Lotus is a stronger brand than Alfa.
You can debate the last one until you're blue in the face, but a lower quality interior in the same 0-60, with worse steering… 6+ years later?! That's not progress, that's lame.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I'm still pining 4a 4C.

·
Super Moderator
15,193 Posts
The point is moot, unless you already have one in the stable.
At least you cannot get it (either car, actually) here now.

No question, though, the Lotus seems to be good engineering. I'll take your word on the execution, as I've never seen one up close.
But crash testing, fuel efficiency, and emissions targets have passed it by. If they had to comply with 2015 US regulations, would they still post the same performance numbers?

I get this for the Honda CR-Z all the time. The ancestor CRX could do what the current car does, 20+ years ago. But people forget about all the safety and creature comforts that have crept into cars over the years. And they tend to blurr the fuel efficiency of the CRX-HF model with the performance of the Si together - no such car actually existed.
Time and rose coloured glasses will do that.

The grass is often greener in the next pasture. It's nice when you can still be happier with what's in your garage than with newer offerings from other manufacturers. I'd say "than with what's on dealer lots", but the 4C isn't there yet!
I'm hoping that I can feel that way about my 4C in a couple of years. If I stick around until it arrives.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The main way to look at this comparison is that the Elise SC did what the 4C does today, back in 2008.
THIS is why I'm again not going to buy the 4C… it's just not moving the needle.
Maybe something is wrong with your needle :p

Honestly this is like comparing Duvel (blond beer) with Westmalle (dark beer). There is no sense to it. Also you seem to have been able to neatly factor out the only thing that matters with the 4C which is the fun you have with it.

Having driven various Loti and owning a 4C, I can say I love both.

But if you must focus on numbers... http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel4686-3770.htm
Needle points in a certain direction there.

·
Super Moderator
15,193 Posts

Honestly this is like comparing Duvel (blond beer) with Westmalle (dark beer). There is no sense to it. Also you seem to have been able to neatly factor out the only thing that matters with the 4C which is the fun you have with it.

Yup - amazing what that extra 100 lbft of torque can do!
But is the "S" same as "SC"? the OP showed 0-100 times matching the 4C, whereas this duel has them 7/10 apart. That's a big difference.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I owned a base Elise and an Elise SC 2008. I loved them both. I am in the US and thus have not driven the 4C, but I did get to sit in one last weekend and look very closely. It feels and looks much more substantial than the Elise. Fit and finish is not close with the 4C being better. Doors close with a thud like an Audi vs the Elise where it sounds like something will likely fall off in the door and in fact sometimes does! :)

Both are in the same vein and attract the same buyer. Small, light, fast, raw and not going to please most people who want all of the creature comforts along with the speed. Lots of great GT and sports cars that fit that bill, but if you want either a 4C or an Elise then you are not a typical person in any way--I consider that a good thing.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
But is the "S" same as "SC"? the OP showed 0-100 times matching the 4C, whereas this duel has them 7/10 apart. That's a big difference.
Good point. So many people that deride the 4C for being a turbo four pot, miss that point completely. The torque in such a light car makes it ballistic.
The Zperfs site lets you choose any version there is. I picked the 240hp one.
Not really sure if there are faster ones (Cup version maybe?) and honestly I don't care.
They are two different tastes of the same recipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
S is not the same as the SC. The latter is supercharged. Tons of torque, no lag. Faster than the 4c.

·
Registered
964 Posts

The Duvel is a very good beer, but the Westmalle is a Trappist beer ... Nuff said ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts