Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

741 - 760 of 794 Posts

·
Vendor
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
You mean for towing out of the ditches the BMW and Porsche drivers? :D I have been thinking about it for a moment, but gave up as it would involve rear bumper cutting and rear crash box bracket welding. No quick solution, sorry.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You mean for towing out of the ditches the BMW and Porsche drivers? :D I have been thinking about it for a moment, but gave up as it would involve rear bumper cutting and rear crash box bracket welding. No quick solution, sorry.
I was thinking even a hook/hoop of some kind (located on a secure part of the rear assembly) which one can loop hook into some sort of belt to pull from the rear. Right now I think the solution is to loop a belt through and around the rear wheel (i.e. through one of the phone dials) and then drag backwards. Just a thought..

·
Vendor
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #749 (Edited)
Quick analyze of stock rear arms. Not exactly a state of art part to go along the carbon fiber monocoque.

This is how rear arms look like from top down. The thin rear line is the tie rod.
stock rear arm study 1.jpg

This is the stress analyze. The longest tube of the arm is taking the most stress as we can tell from the simulation.
stock rear arm study stress.jpg

This is the movement analyze. The upper circle part, red and orange colored, is the ball joint which connects to the rear knuckle. Rear arm and rear tie rod (thin rear line) is what keeps the wheel in place. If any of these move, the wheel position and alignment is affected. By looking at the color of this analyze we can tell, that the rear knuckle to arm point is the most prone to movement, caused by deformation of the long tube in the rear arm, which therefor also causes the move of tie rod link, resulting in dynamic alignment change...not good.
stock rear arm study movement.jpg

The bonus fact:

New OEM arms, straight from factory are already rusted and poorly welded, so whenever we dispatch a set of stock rear arms with GMS uniballs preinstalled for a customer, it hurts my pride and I wonder what the customer is going o say. In a few examples I decided to refurbish the new arms as they looked like used. And they are not cheap at all and the biggest problem at the moment...they are hard to get. I've been waiting for a set for more than 4 months now.

I am absolutely positive that there is a lot of space for improvement and we are working on it. First we need stronger or more accurately - more rigid rear arms. After that we need more rigid tie rod links. Rear arms are being optimized at the moment (stress, fatigue and movement analyze) and once we optimize the structural design, weight and aesthetic looks, we are ready to share another exciting upgrade with you. Revised tie rods will follow shortly after. Just a quick insight on what's going on at the GMS at the moment. (y)

·
Vendor
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #751 (Edited)
While you're waiting for new GMS upgrades to appear in online store, I've got little something for you. 🥰

Assetto Corsa is arguably the best PC racing simulation game up to date. Alfa Romeo 4C is only available in stock format and like in real life, we have tuned it to perform on sublime level. For now, the skins are the same as stock 4C, but the mods include weight reduction, revised engine, alignment, brakes, tires and handling. It's loud, spitting backfires and it's fast, just like in real life. Download the GMS Stage II 4C track car and experience our car in this outstanding simulation game.

For free download, add the item to your cart and type in the coupon code "FUN". It's free.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hey Rudi, this is sooooooo great!!! I've bought a steering wheel and Assetto Corsa during Covid-time to practise the tracks, and was very frustrated the 4C wasn't put in the game very well, e.g. compared to a Lotus. But now she drives and behaves way more like our cars. Still have to get used to the Big Brake Kit, though. Need to, as I hope to put it on some day.

Oh, and I've crashed your car multiple times. Sorry :LOL:

·
Registered
260 Posts
900g lighter, 3mm bigger diameter, reinforcement gussets, zero flex. Status: ...heavily testing on local track. Available soon. o_O

View attachment 107931
If you make these as a drop in replacement with uniball, I’ll likely be in for a buy. Might make different lengths so that rear camber can be increased? You might remember, mine maxed out at -1.7 degrees.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Small update about seat brackets for Recaro Pole Position seats.

Recaro Pole Position seats are much better than OEM Alfa seats regarding the comfort and lateral support. Did about 2000 km in past few days and it felt great. They are the only bucket seats with TÜV available for legal street use I believe, so not much to think about if you're planing to keep your car "road legal". The only downside of this seats is price, which is about 180€ for alu side mount + 800€ per seat for base model and it goes up depending of the padding material you choose. They weight about 7.0kg each, which is pretty light, yet for those most hardcore users also a carbon version of this seats is available at price about 2.300€ each and weight of about 4.5kg per seat. Now back to the brackets..

There were some minor issues with first prototype brackets, but second version is now in finished and installed in the car. I'll test the brackets upcoming season as soon as the winter is gone and if everything will be fine and there will be enough interest I might offer them for sale. Seat brackets are offering the lowest possible seating position but with these, seats are not length adjustable "on the fly" like stock seats are. However we could add an option to move seat forward or back with different holes in the brackets. The main objective here is to get a road legal bucket seats mounted at the lowest position and maintain the lowest possible weight. Current weight of the brackets is 850g per seat and it should go a bit lower with more adjusting holes drilled in.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Rudi
Are these custom brackets available for sale?

·
Vendor
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
If you make these as a drop in replacement with uniball, I’ll likely be in for a buy. Might make different lengths so that rear camber can be increased? You might remember, mine maxed out at -1.7 degrees.
I'll keep dimensions the same so the spring rates and ET's stay unchanged. Weight reduction and rigidity is tha main factor here. For additional negative camber, you can ream the rear MacPherson suspension strut upper mounting holes a bit inward (1-2mm) and you'll gain about 30' of negative camber if needed.

Are these custom brackets available for sale?
Sorry, no. They are not good enough for sale. They are squeaking and not rigid enough. I'm planing to change the seats as I find them too wide for my body and not rigid enough. Once I do that, I'll have proper seat brackets done.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'll keep dimensions the same so the spring rates and ET's stay unchanged. Weight reduction and rigidity is tha main factor here. For additional negative camber, you can ream the rear MacPherson suspension strut upper mounting holes a bit inward (1-2mm) and you'll gain about 30' of negative camber if needed.
Understandable, definitively. My OCD inhibits me from reaming the hole without welding a sheave to get a proper new center. But that’s doable.

·
Registered
2018, Alfa Romeo 4c, Coupe
17 Posts
Felicitaciones la.misma.sensacion sentí hace 10 días compre el mio un coupee 2018 con 500 millas. Lo he estado conociendo y arreglando algunos detalles y por donde lo vea es hermoso un obra de arte del automobilismo. Espero los disfrutes mucho como. Salidos desde Guatemala.

·
Vendor
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
Bienvenido al club.🏁

A bit of update on GMS performance rear arms. The parts are doing fine and we have just finished with psychical tests. The parts are currently in stress analyze lab to check for any signs of material wear, weld failures or other potential flaws. ETA, less than 30 days to go officially on sale.

741 - 760 of 794 Posts