Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

741 - 750 of 750 Posts

·
Vendor
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
You mean for towing out of the ditches the BMW and Porsche drivers? :D I have been thinking about it for a moment, but gave up as it would involve rear bumper cutting and rear crash box bracket welding. No quick solution, sorry.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You mean for towing out of the ditches the BMW and Porsche drivers? :D I have been thinking about it for a moment, but gave up as it would involve rear bumper cutting and rear crash box bracket welding. No quick solution, sorry.
I was thinking even a hook/hoop of some kind (located on a secure part of the rear assembly) which one can loop hook into some sort of belt to pull from the rear. Right now I think the solution is to loop a belt through and around the rear wheel (i.e. through one of the phone dials) and then drag backwards. Just a thought..

·
Vendor
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #749 (Edited)
Quick analyze of stock rear arms. Not exactly a state of art part to go along the carbon fiber monocoque.

This is how rear arms look like from top down. The thin rear line is the tie rod.
stock rear arm study 1.jpg

This is the stress analyze. The longest tube of the arm is taking the most stress as we can tell from the simulation.
stock rear arm study stress.jpg

This is the movement analyze. The upper circle part, red and orange colored, is the ball joint which connects to the rear knuckle. Rear arm and rear tie rod (thin rear line) is what keeps the wheel in place. If any of these move, the wheel position and alignment is affected. By looking at the color of this analyze we can tell, that the rear knuckle to arm point is the most prone to movement, caused by deformation of the long tube in the rear arm, which therefor also causes the move of tie rod link, resulting in dynamic alignment change...not good.
stock rear arm study movement.jpg

The bonus fact:

New OEM arms, straight from factory are already rusted and poorly welded, so whenever we dispatch a set of stock rear arms with GMS uniballs preinstalled for a customer, it hurts my pride and I wonder what the customer is going o say. In a few examples I decided to refurbish the new arms as they looked like used. And they are not cheap at all and the biggest problem at the moment...they are hard to get. I've been waiting for a set for more than 4 months now.

I am absolutely positive that there is a lot of space for improvement and we are working on it. First we need stronger or more accurately - more rigid rear arms. After that we need more rigid tie rod links. Rear arms are being optimized at the moment (stress, fatigue and movement analyze) and once we optimize the structural design, weight and aesthetic looks, we are ready to share another exciting upgrade with you. Revised tie rods will follow shortly after. Just a quick insight on what's going on at the GMS at the moment. (y)

741 - 750 of 750 Posts