Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

761 - 769 of 769 Posts

·
Vendor
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #761 (Edited by Moderator)
Excellent. We did minor design adjustments and beefed up some sections, so we gained a bit of weight, but also almost doubled the initial design rigidity and still noticeable lighter than OEM rear arms. I should get the arms I was physically testing, back from stress analyse in next few days. If all good, we are ready to make the first batch of GMS performance rear arms.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
Excellent. We did minor design adjustments and beefed up some sections, so we gained a bit of weight, but also almost doubled the initial design rigidity and still noticeable lighter than OEM rear arms. I should get the arms I was physically testing, back from stress analyse in next few days. If all good, we are ready to make the first batch of GMS performance rear arms.
Good, just in time to ship out with the OCC's, perhaps?
;)

·
Vendor
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
It could be. 🏁

We were discussing what a shame it is, to cover the beautiful hand welds and rainbow patterns with wrap on exhaust and it got me thinking...

...these are some decent welds on pretty special CroMo tube material (obtained from Pipistrel, the famous lightweight aircraft manufacturer from Slovenia) too, and then powder coating them in to incognito black to cover the work of art is a shame, isn't it. Perhaps we should leave it raw. 🤩

GMS - GALEMOTORSPORT - 4C PARTS PROMO PICTURE 1.jpg GMS - GALEMOTORSPORT - 4C PARTS PROMO PICTURE 2.jpg GMS - GALEMOTORSPORT - 4C PARTS PROMO PICTURE 3.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are doing some awesome R&D work. Thank you!
What grade Chromium-molybdenum alloy steel are you using? Uniform wall thickness throughout?
I Guess there is no immediate need for powedercoating, and it'll keep the price lower. It'll still corrode, but should be good for the lifetime of the balljoints anyways. Hell, it should be good for the lifetime of the car.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Living in Belgium, where they use salt on the roads in winter, I’d prefer coated. I’ll look at the R&D pictures when I want to see the excellent work!

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
318 Posts
It could be. 🏁

We were discussing what a shame it is, to cover the beautiful hand welds and rainbow patterns with wrap on exhaust and it got me thinking...

...these are some decent welds on pretty special CroMo tube material (obtained from Pipistrel, the famous lightweight aircraft manufacturer from Slovenia) too, and then powder coating them in to incognito black to cover the work of art is a shame, isn't it. Perhaps we should leave it raw. 🤩

View attachment 108696 View attachment 108697 View attachment 108698
Oh... YES.
You have a customer here when that's ready. Please, I'll be patient, make sure these are perfect and test, test, test when you debut! I will 10/10 buy the whole ChroMo suspension replacement, as my time with off roaders has me loving the material, and is perfect for a daily anything. 💪

·
Registered
60 Posts
It could be. 🏁

View attachment 108696 View attachment 108697 View attachment 108698
Once we install them in the engine bay I dont think it matters much visually whether they are wrapped or not.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My intuition is telling me that the oem control arms are too thin to sustain the stress on the rear wheels, but I really don't have any idea what forces they encounter (their value).
For sure, if you test the new developed control arms on a bench they will be considerably stronger than the OEM ones, but my question is: Are the OEM ones strong enough for our cars, or yours are strong enough ...? How can you test them?

1) One option would be to mount a GO PRO camera on the rear fender above the wheel and film in slow motion what happens during cornering --> Maybe (maybe not) we can visually determine if there are any TOE changes in the rear wheels --> For sure they go up and down but left-right are harder to determine.
2) Another option: we can calculate the stress based on the car deceleration forces when braking and the length of the arms.
3) Another option: bench testing ... but this would not be that relevant --> It will only say that one control arm is stronger than the other.

I'm very interested in these control arms but I would like to know what would be the improvement after installing them. Maybe they have no real advantage for those who use street tires because the forces are much lower than with semi slick or full slick tires. I use semi-slicks and probably i will go with full slick tires.

Any thoughts on how will you test them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMO, OEM control arms are most likely adequate for the OEM tires. Once you go to wider and stickier tires, that's when the question of stronger control arms becomes relevant. Regardless, most of the flex comes from the bushings.
The only way to judge flex on control arms properly is to attach strain gauges to them and datalog during the track day. Again, my guess is that they are plenty strong for the forces that oem tires exert.

761 - 769 of 769 Posts