Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

781 - 798 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Amazing news man! Congratulations and best of luck with the new opportunity. Chase that dream! Do you have an engineering education background btw?

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
No I don't. I finished high school and had to find a job right after, due to circumstances and I don't regret it at all. My passion for sport cars has guided me through my career and life. When I opened the hood of my first car 1997 Hyundai Accent 1.3i, I didn't know anything about cars. I've been pushing the car hard, right after I got my driving license and started to tune it soon afterwards. I started working to spend money on cars and finally got to the 4C. I've been racing on the street since day 1 I got my first car and later focused more on the track racing, due to legal issues and the risks although I still rip it on the back roads some times, but it's hard to find a decent opponent these days so it's not as exciting as it used to be 10 years ago. Also my cars back then were far less capable than 4C is, so it was more challenging. Also I've learned that on the street the same skill, same car, the driver with more risk wins. On the rack, same skill, same car, the driver with more perfection wins. I prefer the second of these two.

Through years, I've learned to wrench basic things, then more advanced things, built and made a turbo conversion of S50B32 engine and later started to make my own custom parts, learnt to weld, CAD and met numerous people that help me out when my skills are not up to the task (welders, CNC operators, CAD guys, mechanics, etc.). I enjoy searching for improvements in terms of performance, let it be weight, power, aero or handling and people started to ask me for advice on setting up the suspension, alignment, tuning the car, making the parts for them or give them advice on the track. Lots of wrenching, racing and researching brought me where I am today. Being 33 and instead of investing in real estates or living a relaxed family life, I give all my time, money and focus in to motorsport, GMS.

The complete story about how I started is here: Part I - Prologue | GaleMotorSport

·
Registered
955 Posts
A quick note.
So great, Rudi @GMS , to finally (have to) following your passion.
I wish you and your family all the best in your endeavours.
I envy you! Enjoy the jump!!

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
He has done it!!
We couldn't achieve the desired weight and the desired wheel load with this design, so we are making a new design. In the world of racing wheels it is a trade off between durability and weight. Third factor is a cost.

Making a lightweight, simple, straight spoke design, like one up above, is relatively easy to make and not all that expensive comapred to what it is on the market already, but it is impossible to get a competetive weight witthout sacrificing the strength or more precisely, maximal wheel load. Max axle loads for lighter, EU 4C, is 490kg front and 755kg rear, which means max wheel load for front wheels should be 245kg and for rear wheels 387kg. That are the rough numbers of maximal wheel loads the wheels should theoretically be exposed to. Anything over that, either axle, suspension or wheel could fail. When you move to semislick tires, upgrade suspension and change the alignment, all these loads significantly increase. Let's say you plan to run your 4C on slick tires, big cambers, aero and stiff suspension, there is a big chance you'll get a failure of a component sooner or later. This could be the rubber bushing, ball joint, driveshaft, suspension strut, arm or wheel. Any of these failing in the most crictical situtaion during cornering, can lead to a big accident. Something we must avoid at all cost. Perhaps you'll run semislick tires and medium agressive setup on your car, yet it can happen that you will hit the kurb and at this point, you don't want to loose a wheel or arm. If you bent it, it's OK, but loosing it, that's bad. So here we are talking about safety factor that is often not observed when aftermarket parts are offered publicly. It doesn't take a lot of searching on the internet to come along broken wheels from a worldwide known manufacturers. This is the result of underdesigning and exagerated cost saving to fight for market share. The most often, this is the issue of mid-range brands, where revenue is generated by cutting the costs and trying to compete with proper high end parts. Using lesser material, less material and simplier tooling, brings affordable product, perhaps even lightweight and nice looking, but at the safety factor penalty. Do you know that "high end undisclosed wheel manufacturer" forged wheel comes at about 2.000,00€ per wheel and it is only about 20% lighter than "mid-range undisclosed wheel manufacturer" cast wheel, which cost 400% less? Paying 4x more for a bit lighter wheel seems a high penalty, doesn't it? But, have you seen the wheel load ratings? The one comes at 650kg and the other at less than 450kg. That's a 30% lower max wheel load. Now add some slicks, stiffer suspension and a bit agressive driver and you are calling for trouble. When you become aware of that, you start to understand, that you are not getting better price/performance ratio item, you're just exchanging the safety factor for price. That is wrong and shouldn't be the case, especially in the world of motorsport.

This is something I am well aware of and have strict rules about it. All our prototypes must withstand the CAD and psychical testing and even then, we add significant safety factor to our products. GMS uniballs, GMS BBK, GMS performance rear arms or whatever has to do with safety. Since day 1 to today, we still haven't got the failed uniball case, unless damaged by the installation, neither we have a failed brakes case and so it will be with GMS performance rear arms. Making carbon fiber body parts or OCC's is something completely different than making suspension parts. The same goes for the wheels and as mentioend eariler, with the upper design we couldn't achieve our goals, so we moved on.

With the redesign and radical uprating of machining equipement, we will be able to provide superlight and superstrong, forged, 100% CNC'd wheels, capable of track ab-use. To achieve this, we had to move from 4-axis CNC to 5-axis CNC which now allows us to CNC additional pockets in the wheels to take away material at hard to reach places without sacrificing the wheel strength. By taking a look at the CAD renderings and wheel load simulations, I'm not even for a moment sorry to have decided to go this way and push the boundaries of what is currently available on the market for 4C. If all goes to plan and extensively track testing passes OK, which I expect to, a GMS signature wheelset for Alfa Romeo 4C will be available in late 2020, early 2021. We will have the strongest and the lightest, track wheels available on the market for 4C.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wish you great luck with your wheels project. Hopefully they turn out to be very light and strong.
Advan racing wheels are extremely light also and they have a very good price if purchased directly from Japan and not from European / US vendors --> I don't know how you will beat that but good luck.

It would be quite interesting if you would look into a solution to change / upgrade the rear suspension design. The arms you are producing probably have a big role in improving the rear (as did the uniballs) --> IMHO these are very good parts and you really "nailed" it with producing them. I have a concern though that the suspension design can be further improved --> I still believe that the long arm for adjusting the rear wheels TOE has a strange position (not to mention it's quite long) --> Even if this arm would be strong probably the rear suspension will still not be rigid enough for those track addicts --> A completely new design with new points for attaching the control and TOE arms would be more appropriate --> Complex but maybe doable

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
Thank you. We'll do our best, not to disappoint.

Advan RS were the one I wanted to go with but, they are not available in size I want, they are cast, wheel load up to 520kg only, not forged and in my case over 2.000,00€ to import either from USA or Japan. The Advan RS weight for 4C spec (PCD and ET) is 7kg (17x8) and 8kg (18x8.5) or 8.3kg (18x9.5). They are on par with OZ Allegerita HLT, just more expensive due to import taxes and in my opinion Advans look better.

Same design, forged vs cast wheels, forged will always be heavier due to more dense material (no porosity), but will offer higher wheel load rating and will bend not crack. You can make forged wheels thinner and therefor lighter, but in the end it all comes down to wheel load capacity. It is no problem to make light wheels if rigidity and strength is not a concern. Before I decided to go for GMS forged alu wheels I checked all the options. Magnesium alloy wheels (about 2.000,00€ per wheel) and carbon wheels (about 4.000,00€ per wheel). I even had a chance to hold 19" carbon wheel from Tushek TS900 and with 5.5kg for 19x10, surely is impressive, but in the end T6-6061 aluminum is still the material of our choice. Strong, durable, light and easy to machine. We got good source for material and capable CADer, just the 5-axis CNC machining service is a bit over budget for the estimated time that will be spend to CNC the wheels. We'll see how it works out.

About the rear suspension. I was thinking a lot about that some time ago when I didn't like the handling, but now I don really think that MacPherson at the rear is a problem. The kinematics are OK (toe and camber changes during suspension stroke), the weight is OK, the rigidity is now OK with uniballs, new arms and Nitron coilovers. Also given the amount of suspension travel (few cm's up and down) and fact that we mostly drive on nice tracks and not bumpy gravel I see no point in further messing with the suspension layout or switchiing in to double A-arm setup. The 4C has more potential elsewhere than at the rear suspension layout I believe.

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #788
We did alignment on crashed and repaired 4C. We found a strange issue that needs further investigation. We were able to adjust all the alignment settings, except front toe. The front toe left wheel was all over the place even though the steering wheel was locked. No free play was felt in the steering rack. There is either a problem in inner or outer tie rod, or the front arm linkage. The car is now back to the repair shop and if they don't sort it out, it will come back to us, for further investigation.

In the video, you can see the independent movement of left side toe (bottom, left spec).

http://instagr.am/p/CF32TBSlkqF/

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
For now it's just an idea, but...

I am actually thinking of sponsoring someone outside of Europe, probably USA. I cannot afford money sponsoring, but being the first to get to try out new GMS prototypes isn't so bad either. And to do some IG and FB posting of tracking, racing and roading 4C with GMS parts. Anyone interested? :giggle:

·
Registered
979 Posts
For now it's just an idea, but...

I am actually thinking of sponsoring someone outside of Europe, probably USA. I cannot afford money sponsoring, but being the first to get to try out new GMS prototypes isn't so bad either. And to do some IG and FB posting of tracking, racing and roading 4C with GMS parts. Anyone interested? :giggle:
Count me in: I will move to US. Which city do you prefer? :))

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting opportunity Rudi, but I don't do IG or FB

Reactions: GMS

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
Hmmm... Interesting opportunity Rudi, but I don't do IG or FB
Start, it's easy and senseless, but it is the future of the marketing at least for a few years. :D

Now let's get to business shall we?

121654477_178984023779872_5559627767312265485_o.jpg

The combos tried and dyno's measured so far:
  • Stock 4C
  • Stock 4C + Alfaworks stage 1 remap
  • Stock 4C + Alfaworks race ecu
  • Stock 4C + GMS stage 1 ecu
  • Modded 4C (IC, intake, exhaust) + GMS stage 1 ecu
  • Modded 4C (IC, intake, exhaust) + GMS stage 2 ecu (in development...)

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
It's official guys. We acquired new land for GMS headquarters. I know it's not much for most of you magnates, but for me, casual guy, it is all I ever really wanted. A place to call my own, a place to grow and follow my dreams. And you know what they say: "all the good stories begin in the garage".

It's about 600m² of land eligible for building (the least you can buy in this area, a bit out of a small city), we are finalizing the bureaucracy and in a month or so, if the winter won't be too harsh and weather will allow, the land works will start. It's gonna be two story house with a 120m² motorsport facility in the 1st floor and 120 m² living quarters in 2nd floor. Minimalistic, yet effective. Can't wait...

122289391_181298263548448_5925171353820501102_o.jpg

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #796
With this new location, some amazing new ideas will be able to be realized and I'm so happy to share this with you.

First amazing thing is, that we will have a dedicated guest room for GMS clients to stay here whether passing Slovenia as a traveler or coming in-house for mods on your 4C. Beds, shower, garage, everything you need. Some of you have already visited us @4C-ophe, @samer badaro, thank you and I hope too meet you again but I also look forward for new faces to meet.

The second amazing thing is, that we are few meters away from junction of the beginning of the best road in Slovenia and arguably best motorsport enthusiast road in Europe. it's named "Zala" and was built in 1859 and vastly improved for the needs of army during 1. st world war and further improved over the years. Nürburgring would be the closest estimate, except here no official trackday and events are organized as it is public road. It's a 20km long road with various sections of hairpins, low speed, medium speed and high speed, nicely banked corners. That's where most of my setups and upgrades of the cars in the earlier years came from. Endless numbers of night touges and sprints were driven here. Now for the past few years, we test on the race tracks mostly. Go ahead and take a look at the google maps, it's awesome. I can't wait for you guys come over and we'll have a blast down this road together. 😁

·
Super Moderator
15,419 Posts
Congrats, Rudi! Being in control of your own destiny, and build on your dreams is an incredible feeling. Best wishes for it (and for a mild winter!).

781 - 798 of 798 Posts