Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
and can hold two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. hats off to Chevy for coming in at a great price.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah and damn that natural dipped leather interior is amazing. So many great color options as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
* Starting around $60k, that's a massive asterisk. We'll see what that actually gets you and what you miss out on.

Agree with all of the above, but the vette was NEVER on my radar to consider and this one would at least make me consider it. Although odds are low it would win out the comparison battle. Now if I golfed and was 68 years old... ;-)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
This is all you need to know about a GM car to say pass.
A race packaged Camaro, doing what most people don't even consider racing, deploys it's airbags for no reason and GM deny's the warranty claim.
And it's not isolated. Click the links in that article.

Similar issue on the Colorado Trucks with the Offroad package

Add that to the Ignition recall debacle and them denying warranty claims for the airbags on the Kappa Platform
[Pontiac Solstic, Saturn Sky, Opel GT] until they were forced by the NHSTA after a forum moderator on SkyRoadster put together all the paper to open a safety issue.

No thanks on any vehicle made by GM.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The mid-engined Chevy monstrosity is not a Corvette. The Corvette is dead. Hoisted by its own front-engine pitard.

Chevy has created a new car, inspired by proven, superior, mid-engined design from other more competent builders.

They can call it a Corvette, and we can call a dog a cat.

All they're doing is pretending the Corvette did not die.

I'll pretend the 4C isnt dead someday by calling the next front-engine 4 cylinder coupe a 4C.

That works. :rolleyes:

If you have a black Labrador named Duke that dies, just replace him with a Sheep Dog named Duke, and Duke lives on.

Makes sense. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sadly, 60k will get you a very basic version, with the purpose to incite you to go up up the trims and extra options. A nicely equipped C8 will probably run in the 80k area. The car looks nice tho and has spark my interest and curiosity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the C8 has the potential, and MAY be an incredible car. I drove a C7 GrandSport for a few months and it was a great car. Not for me, but a great car for what it was. This Corvette, in my opinion, may very well have just killed the new Supra. Yes it is a mass produced car. Yes everyone will have one. Yes they will wreck them everywhere. But I say good for GM. Call it what you want, but I for one, enjoy that they went this direction. The Camaro was too close in performace and everything else to the C7. Good move GM. I hope it's everything they want it to be.
As for me? I'll keep my Alfa. I can't drive it enough!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
~3,600 lbs curb weight. That's why it's cheap. Couldn't afford lightweight materials.

Heavier than the C7, which is heavier than the C6. Going the wrong direction.

And the force fed versions will be heavier still.

Yeah, there will be plenty of luggage space for all the gold chains, cigar boxes, and chest hair curling irons.

1,200 lbs more than a 4C. 600 lbs more than a Cayman. I really don't care about the other performance numbers. Funny how the weight performance number gets ignored.

One reason it was delayed so long is all the engineering problems. Like a frame that would bend due to their futile efforts to shave pounds.

Plus, it's not a good looking car.

Set aside a big tire budget.

But the dedicated Corvette fans will love it.

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
I say let it show what it can do....or not do. I have never been a big Vette fan even though my late father in law worked for GM at the tech center and in charge of new drive line engineering....back in 50s - 70s. They seemed they always fell into the "add more bling and that is the improvement." At this stage the C8 seems like bit less busy/cluttered body than the C7s which have really gotten into gaudy design.
I went to a car show last night that I entered my 4C in. There were 3 of the Vette C7 super cars there and around 8 Ferrari's from 360 through 488 plus lots of American flawless rare muscle cars. My 4C got more looks it seemed. It is nice being less "common".

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
Forgot to add.....like any new car.....don't get in line to buy the first ones. Let the early adopters deal with the debugging and teething problems. But I am sure that all the reviews will fawn over how great it is ;-)

·
Registered
726 Posts
The c8 Corvette IMHO is going to do what the GTr did in 08 to the car industry. It's a complete game changer. It looks amazing mid-engine beautiful interior and performance to back it up. This what the new nsx should have been but wasn't. My hats off to gm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm sure the car will be a wild seller in my neck of the woods. The C7 vettes have been very popular and the new C8 has much of the same lines. I would expect that it will be sold out for quite some time (initially). My only exterior complaint would be the back end, it looks stretched and out of proportion from the side. I'm not sure if it is because they had to add a rear storage or not. On the interior I can't get over the line of switches which seems so out of place. It isn't even a grab bar for scaring the cr*p out of your passenger.... I am glad GM made the car, but I wonder just how many vette drivers are going to slide off track now (just backwards this time)....

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
What a childish and uneducated post.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Just because my opinion differs from yours does not make it childish or uneducated.
Your response however, does fall into the childish category.

First of all I am a former GM car owner. Once Saturn went away, I got to fully experience how crappy the majority of GM dealerships are.

On top of them doing what I consider embezzlement of tax payer money by using the bailout money to pay out executive bonuses, they are known for ignoring or hiding defects that can and have resulted in deaths.
Other car companies don't do that.
GM hid the ignition recall from the public a major recall for over a decade and even went so far as creating a "Death Fund" to pay off the families of people who died as a result.
Autoweek said:
GM did not address the matter after its 2014 ignition-switch crisis prompted the automaker to unearth safety defects in tens of millions of other vehicles.
Another defect in which a private citizen had to go through the NHSTA to FORCE Gm to repair it.
I am going to quote the section in regards to the Airbag sensor
Autoweek said:
After years of seeing General Motors and federal safety regulators do nothing to address failing airbag sensors in the passenger seats of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, Troy Lyman took up the matter himself.
Autoweek said:
GM had recalled some Cadillac sedans for essentially the same problem in 2010
Autoweek said:
GM did not address the matter after its 2014 ignition-switch crisis prompted the automaker to unearth safety defects in tens of millions of other vehicles.
Here is my post that includes more facts from 2018 and 2019 showing that GM still ignores defects and screws over their customers by forcing them to pay for repairs that are actual defects.
Post 6 of this thread

So please, educate me, on how my opinion is uneducated.

Provide counter proof to all of the above data.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
And, forget the factory claims of under 3 seconds and under $60k.

There will never be an under $60K C8 until they are sold as used, which in a few years will be under $40k. They'll drop like a stone as all Corvettes do. And when the Z06/ZR1/Zora (or whatever they call it) is released, the early adopters will trade their obsolescent Z51s instantly.

With all that weight on the rear axle, huge tires, automatic, and launch control, I'm sure it will be fast. There's no reason to doubt factory claims is there? Nobody doubted stock Dodge Demons would run mid-9s, right? Until none of them could get under 10.

Under 3 seconds from under 500 hp and 3,600 lbs. Pfft!

1 - 20 of 301 Posts