Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

241 - 260 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Amazed the US GM union workers are on strike -- just as GM global sales are collapsing this year. That's the same "stubborn idiot" mistake the UK unions made when British Leyland (BL) was a crumbling giant in the 1970s!

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Heavy understeer, vague braking and goes into ABS easily. Those are about the main knocks it got....pretty good for a new car. Those are easily fixed although for a mid engine powerful car.....that understeer will probably save a few lives. GM probably saw enough YT videos of Mustangs at C&C crashing to stay conservative on handling for now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Heavy understeer, vague braking and goes into ABS easily. Those are about the main knocks it got....pretty good for a new car. Those are easily fixed although for a mid engine powerful car.....that understeer will probably save a few lives. GM probably saw enough YT videos of Mustangs at C&C crashing to stay conservative on handling for now.
Some of that understeer is just native to a rear-mid engine car design (without an anti-squat system). Some good driving impressions here:

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
The review I read said it had no feel through the steering wheel, overly tall gearing, driver’s seat is too high and can’t be lowered, and chassis has high limits (so in my view not fun except on track), and of course it’s very heavy. So basically it’s exactly the opposite of the 4C. (Note: this is my (biased) interpretation of the review, and I’m only picking the bad (to me) points, they otherwise generally praise it.)

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
The review I read said it had no feel through the steering wheel, overly tall gearing, driver’s seat is too high and can’t be lowered, and chassis generally dull and not fun, and it’s very heavy. So basically it’s exactly the opposite of the 4C. (Note: this is my (biased) interpretation of the review, and I’m only picking the bad (to me) points, they otherwise generally praise it.)
Still a Yank Tank then, but a damn fine one. I won’t be trading my 4C for it...not that I‘ve contemplated doing that for even a nanosecond. My 4C will do me just fine....and the bonus of 4C ownership is the great bunch of blokes I’ve met because of it that has only added to the ownership experience....Ummm, that was only meant in an automotive context.:rolleyes:(y)

·
Super Moderator
13,299 Posts
The review I read said it had no feel through the steering wheel, overly tall gearing, driver’s seat is too high and can’t be lowered, and chassis has high limits (so in my view not fun except on track), and of course it’s very heavy. So basically it’s exactly the opposite of the 4C. (Note: this is my (biased) interpretation of the review, and I’m only picking the bad (to me) points, they otherwise generally praise it.)
So, given the beating that the 4C got in much of the auto press, I'd say from this that the C8 must be pretty fine also! ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
So, given the beating that the 4C got in much of the auto press, I'd say from this that the C8 must be pretty fine also! ;)
Very happy to see how you guys have changed your tune regarding the C-8. I like my 4c but can appreciate other cars. Still not sure I will keep the Alfa after the Corvette's arrival

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very happy to see how you guys have changed your tune regarding the C-8. I like my 4c but can appreciate other cars. Still not sure I will keep the Alfa after the Corvette's arrival
Still very different cars, ideally would like to have both hehe. I would think the C8 is a pretty comfortable cruiser with good interior that you can easily daily, like the last generation. I'm interested but would want to hold out until the Z06/ZR1 comes out, which from the looks of it is what the journalists are saying.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the money the C8 is probably the better car. I'm not going to be a 4C fanboy and deny that. What they offer at that price point is almost unreal.

The reason I'd rather have my 4C is the exclusivity and rarity of the car. I get a kick out of people chasing me down in the streets trying to figure out what I'm driving. They act like they just spotted a unicorn. The C8 will be a dime a dozen in the near future. Those things will be everywhere!

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
For the money the C8 is probably the better car. I'm not going to be a 4C fanboy and deny that. What they offer at that price point is almost unreal.

The reason I'd rather have my 4C is the exclusivity and rarity of the car. I get a kick out of people chasing me down in the streets trying to figure out what I'm driving. They act like they just spotted a unicorn. The C8 will be a dime a dozen in the near future. Those things will be everywhere!
Yep, like Mustangs down here. They are everywhere now. However, the other day on a drive I did see the most beautiful 1970 Mach1 Mustang, the most shapely and well proportioned of all Mustangs. Head and shoulders above the current shape despite the current shape taking design cues from it. You don’t see many of those around down here and it’s a real head-turner. My first Hot-Wheels car was a Mach1.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love the 4C, and its staying in the garage. But I tip my hat to GM and the C8 - I'm impressed. Roger Penske always publicly advised GM to "keep the Vette affordable." It's still a dream car, and an affordable one at that.

Over the past few months, I see two emerging auto issues. First, Porsche has a serious problem with this Corvette. This is Porsche performance at 1/3 the price. 1/3 the price.

But, Porsche hasn't been sleeping either. Tesla had a huge, huge head start, but the new Taycan is going to be a problem for Tesla. Frankly as it should be. Porsche will be ready for collisions, fender benders, etc. Tesla struggled with that.

Nonetheless, the 4C still amazes me. I sit in that car, so snug, surrounded by a gorgeously finished carbon fiber tub, and five years later, its still in a tiny number of really really special cars that have that configuration. I pull that car out of my garage, and its not a stretch to feel that you are pulling out of the pits at Le Mans. For investment potential, or resale value, I'd put the 4C up against the C8 any day.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Most interesting thing about this review was how they avoided saying what the as tested price was - instead offering the base price. Shows how much Chevy is paying for those reviews!

Motortrend has the same car and listed the as tested as 88k - not sure I would pay that for a Corvette.

Obviously only my opinion but there’s a heck of a lot I’d buy before a Vette for that money. That’s also a very expensive 90k to own as it will depreciate like every other Vette (probably worth 45k in 3 years, 20k in 6-7 years). This makes this comparable to owning a lot of cars that cost way more up front.

Gripes aside, I really do like the car. I don’t see it as good value, though despite that being its big selling point out of the gate. I feel like what matters is ownership cost and in that regard this is much more expensive than many of its competitors.

·
Super Moderator
13,299 Posts
Most interesting thing about this review was how they avoided saying what the as trsted price was - instead offering the base price. Shows how much Chevy is paying for those reviews!

Motortrend has the same car and listed the as tested as 88k - not sure I would pay that for a Corvette.

Obviously only my opinion but there’s a heck of a lot I’d buy before a Vette for that money. That’s also a very expensive 90k to own as it will depreciate like every other Vette (probably worth 45k in 3 years, 20k in 6-7 years). This makes this comparable to owning a lot of cars that cost way more up front.

Gripes aside, I really do like the car. I don’t see it as good value, though despite that being its big selling point out of the gate. I feel like what matters is ownership cost and in that regard this is much more expensive than many of its competitors.
I think that GM has announced the entire price list, so although the review might not state "as tested" prices, that can be figured out.

Although the price is not small, if I wrapped the car in a white box and told you that I could sell you a mainstream car with legitimate performance stats as quoted in these reviews and promise you that it has a reliable drivetrain and looks great, for $88,000, what would you say then?

And although the depreciation comment was similar to what I believed, I've not been able to really verify it. I did find this report quoting a survey that shows Corvette depreciating at a slower rate than sports cars in general and far better than brands like Porsche, BMW and Audi, but I question the legitimacy of the numbers. Obviously, C7 depreciation will be skewed since the beginning of this year when news started coming out that the C8 was reality.

I'm still a sceptic about the quality of the build, but willing to keep an open mind on the subject. Any of the negative comments by "journalists" so far would not put me off, as they mirror a lot of what was said about the 4C.

I'm still not interested in buying one. But am keen to see some on the road!

241 - 260 of 301 Posts