Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
Are you talking about the 4c or the new Corvette
Similar to 4C but with more than 2x the power, expect twice the excitement. Twice the carnage, too. Won’t end well.

And I fear that at least in my neck of the woods, it’s going to be the C8 drivers who want to instigate the traffic light racing. #redneck.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah that article was a wild ride, for sure! I know ze Germans often understate their horsepower numbers, but these dyno readings were insane. Unless they've juiced up their test cars, there's no way these numbers are accurate. It'll be interesting to see what people start dynoing them at when they're released to the public.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
Yeah that article was a wild ride, for sure! I know ze Germans often understate their horsepower numbers, but these dyno readings were insane. Unless they've juiced up their test cars, there's no way these numbers are accurate. It'll be interesting to see what people start dynoing them at when they're released to the public.
It's the same old dyno story: chassis dynomometers are good for comparisons (pre vs post tune) but not for absolute numbers. There are better tools than the Mustang unit that Motor Trend used, for sure.
GM assured people who inquired about that test car that it was completely normal spec. The result was some sort of mistake or technical snafu, and MT was stupid to post it without verification. Or maybe they weren't, as all publicity is good publicity. I doubt that GM is complaining about the attention either, although they continue to stand by their published output numbers.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
BTW, it was Motor Trend who came up with the sensational 4.1 second 0-60 time for the 4C in NAFTA trim. Before their article, Alfa published the 4.5 seconds here the way they did in other markets. After that test, the fine print in the brochure credited Motor Trend for the revised 4.1 second number. No press is bad press, and if you can shift any liability for inaccuracy to someone else, then why not.

I guess that pretty much tells you that the 4.1 second measurement is likely as messed up as their reported Corvette horsepower. So much for "journalistic integrity", although anyone who might have expected such from a modern automotive magazine should really check out the bridge I have for sale on Craigslist. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
BTW, it was Motor Trend who came up with the sensational 4.1 second 0-60 time for the 4C in NAFTA trim. Before their article, Alfa published the 4.5 seconds here the way they did in other markets. After that test, the fine print in the brochure credited Motor Trend for the revised 4.1 second number. No press is bad press, and if you can shift any liability for inaccuracy to someone else, then why not.

I guess that pretty much tells you that the 4.1 second measurement is likely as messed up as their reported Corvette horsepower. So much for "journalistic integrity", although anyone who might have expected such from a modern automotive magazine should really check out the bridge I have for sale on Craigslist. :D
I think 0-60 times are more accurate because vbox and blah, anything can happen on a dyno. FWIW car and driver did a 4.2 0-60.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Automotive journalism was barely ever a thing anyway.

Based on a preponderance of the feedback, we shouldn't be driving a 4C. I mean, afterall, they don't log data on happiness and smiles, so the 4C will never rule one of their stupid, dumb, inane, moronic, mouth-breather performance charts.

Nah, all the 4C does is make reviewers and owners smile. A chance to be an actual journalist and address the emotional and visceral components to owning certain cars, and it's the first thing they fail at. They are not journalists. They recap performance numbers then go home and drive their pieces of shit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 4C is a 4.1/4.2 car. At least I have no reason to doubt the C&D and MT numbers when I have two other cars that were tested anywhere from 3.9-4.0 and 3.8-4.2... not that it matters to me.

As for the C8 I have now seen 4 in person and from a purely aesthetic perspective, I am not a big fan. Front half is nice, if a bit "supercar generic" (R8 blended with the new NSX blended with a lambo and maybe a McLaren). The rear is pretty bad and the proportions between front and rear are a bit off. Still, it is an incredibly striking car for the price point and combined with its performance, will be a world beater.

Not a car to make me want to give up any of my cars for it... and certainly doesn't even nudge me a bit off my 4C. I still lust after a pretty narrow assortment of cars (excluding the F40s, 959s, Carrera GTs etc) I would still prefer an F430 Scuderia over a C8 regardless of performance. Same with a 993 Porsche turbo or a 997 GT3RS... I could get better performance at a fraction of the cost when comparing against any of these cars. Remember that a GTR will do a 2.8 second 0-60 and "seat" 4 and also put down spectacular lap times (at least for a few laps). It doesn't stir any emotional response from me. Because I don't get cars for image (ie., I don't need the newest toy/version) or for spec bragging rights, I look at the whole package of the car and I don't think any car would move me off the 4C in the near or medium term... with the exception of necessity to make room for one of the above mentioned cars :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Oh, and they may even have time to work on the gearbox and tuning problems noted in first cars given to the press...so the article states. Nice of GM to be so thoughtful.

·
Registered
374 Posts
About a year ago, I posted that was between the AR 8c and the Corvette C8 (whichever comes first). Sorry to hear that the 8c was cancelled but simplifies the decision

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I totally called this delay back on May 5th. I was at a wedding with a bunch of Kappa friends, and one of them had just bought a C7. We were discussing the C8 and I said there is no way in hell it would hit the streets in 2019.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That's a really good article showing how much they have improved on the last platform
Unfortunately it also really showed me how ugly I think it is with the new pictures.
That front is hideous.
#sorrynotsorry

281 - 300 of 301 Posts