401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #402

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you guys consider the modern Vettes to be sports cars, or grand tourers?
I consider modern Vettes to be "modern sports cars". The definition of a sports car has changed over the years. Way back in the day, to be a sports car it had to only have 2 seats and be a convertible. Yep, way back, coupes were not considered sports cars. Things have evolved and what are sports cars today are just different.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I consider modern Vettes to be "modern sports cars". The definition of a sports car has changed over the years. Way back in the day, to be a sports car it had to only have 2 seats and be a convertible. Yep, way back, coupes were not considered sports cars. Things have evolved and what are sports cars today are just different.
I would even go further and say the definition of "cars" has changed period!
I thought a coupe was a TWO door and sedan a FOUR door, an M3 a 2 door sports car, not four door, a 911 was essentially the lighter sports car of the group, and and and and lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
I would even go further and say the definition of "cars" has changed period!
I thought a coupe was a TWO door and sedan a FOUR door, an M3 a 2 door sports car, not four door, a 911 was essentially the lighter sports car of the group, and and and and lol :ROFLMAO:
But that’s just company marketers feeling for the level of gullibility in the marketplace. :rolleyes:
Off-topic: Has anyone else noticed the changes typing menu bar below?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I thought a coupe was a TWO door and sedan a FOUR door, an M3 a 2 door sports car, not four door,
Well, BMW is a bit dumb.

Do you guys consider the modern Vettes to be sports cars, or grand tourers?
The "purist", british definition was essentially:
  • 2 doors
  • 2 seats
  • manual
  • roofless or convertible
  • rear drive
  • light weight
  • a car that you had to sacrifice a bit to enjoy, whether it was stiff suspension, noise, shifting, small trunk, small cabin
Now, people use the insurance company version of, if it has over 200hp and even slightly aggressive styling, it's a sports car. That's why you get people claiming Chargers are sports car.

However, "sports car" shouldn't be an all-inclusive definition, it's not a youth sports team. Sometimes having different genres of vehicles is good for shopping.

I love sports cars, I like grand tourers and sport sedans, I don't care for muscle/pony cars.
ex. sports cars: 4C, 911, Corvette.
ex. grand tourers: E63S, CTS-V, M5
ex. sports sedans: M3, QV, C63S, S4
ex. muscle cars: Mustang, Camaro, Charger

So, yes, I'd consider a corvette a sports car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Too big to be a true sports car though.😕
They're getting better though. C6 was a nice simple design. Certainly smaller than the C5 - so bulky looking. They slipped a bit with the C7 in my opinion. Looked bulky and too fussy to me. C8... Not bad at all. None of these are in 4C territory for looks or otherwise of course... but the C8 seems like a decent deal to boot.

·
Registered
761 Posts
then again, there was
Well, BMW is a bit dumb.

The "purist", british definition was essentially:
  • 2 doors
  • 2 seats
  • manual
  • roofless or convertible
  • rear drive
  • light weight
  • a car that you had to sacrifice a bit to enjoy, whether it was stiff suspension, noise, shifting, small trunk, small cabin
Now, people use the insurance company version of, if it has over 200hp and even slightly aggressive styling, it's a sports car. That's why you get people claiming Chargers are sports car.

However, "sports car" shouldn't be an all-inclusive definition, it's not a youth sports team. Sometimes having different genres of vehicles is good for shopping.

I love sports cars, I like grand tourers and sport sedans, I don't care for muscle/pony cars.
ex. sports cars: 4C, 911, Corvette.
ex. grand tourers: E63S, CTS-V, M5
ex. sports sedans: M3, QV, C63S, S4
ex. muscle cars: Mustang, Camaro, Charger

So, yes, I'd consider a corvette a sports car.
Oh....you just reminded me of a certain Charger sports car....

401 - 411 of 411 Posts