Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones thoughts on the new Supra. Yes yes I know its a BMW Z4 etc... I test drove one the other day and I must say its got some power. Not to mention a bunch of aftermarket companies dumping products out for it day after day. I will say it didn't make me smile the way my 4C did. And you don't feel special while driving it the way you do when in a Alfa. But it did handle very well. A little too much tech in my opinion but thats they way everything is headed today. Ever since selling my 4C to another member I have been looking to get another 4C but being very picky on color and options there just isn't much out there for me. So I have been playing with the idea of getting something else. I have looked into the Audi TTS, very nice car. Great handling and loads of aftermarket support. Also the Jaguar F-type. Very pretty car but it didn't do it for me. Although my test drive was in heavy traffic so I didn't get to have much fun with it. May be worth another drive.

To get to the point. I am trying to figure out what way to go. I love the 4C. I bought mine brand new and it made me happier than I ever have been with a car. But now not being able to find another has got me looking for a replacement. Which as we all know nothing really compares to a 4C. So I guess my question is, If you had to get something else what would you get?

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
Main advantages of 4C is exclusivity and beauty. You won't see another pulling up to you at a stop light. Japanese cars are fine but once the "next" thing comes out they quickly fade with just a few exceptions. Audi TT is just OK for me and I never found any Audi's handling (heavy understeer) to be to my taste. It isn't a particularly pretty car. Performance wise.....they are all competent but if you like being a boy racer the Japanese cars have a fan base. Just don't expect a heavily modded 500+hp Supra to hold up for long. I previously lived in the SF Bay Area and remember all the kids with their Japanese cars pushed to crazy levels of HP and also crazy stereo systems. I used to call them hand grenades because that was about the engine life span ;-)

That being said......any of the three would be good cars to own but only the ALFA 4C has the heritage, looks, and rarity to check my boxes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree on the boy racer thing. I really think I am ruined for life after having my 4C. Nothing seems to stack up against it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You have to look at dealer base as well for service. I am 3-4 hours from a dealer and worry about when I actually have problems with the car. The Toyota dealer near me does not allow test drives until after financing is setup and have a 10k markup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to look at dealer base as well for service. I am 3-4 hours from a dealer and worry about when I actually have problems with the car. The Toyota dealer near me does not allow test drives until after financing is setup and have a 10k markup.

Wow thats nuts. The dealers here have discounts ranging from 1k-4k depending on trim level. They handed me the keys right away when I said I was interested. It was a very quick car. But it doesn't have the looks of the 4c...

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
That 10k markup is bogus. All car dealers try that for a new model. Some of the first 4Cs sold in the US were at $100,000 out the door. Dealer location is an issue for any car. Ford, Chevy, Dodge....not an issue....but other brands :confused:;) Luckily there are 3 ALFA dealers close to me.
Many brands have ways to deal with the dealers that markup like that. It makes me question if I would buy from them if they stoop to shit like that. Some dealers will mark the car as sold so they can resell it at a higher price and keep within their dealership agreement.

Bottom line.....if you HAVE to have the car immediately and are willing to pay....it is your money.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since I'm a recent 4C owner, the 2020 Supra was my other option I was considering. The C8 Corvette was also in there, but I've never been fan of Corvette's enough to own one myself (I think they are great, just not for me).

In my situation, I also have a V6S F-Type which the Supra is very much like. For that reason, it seemed silly to have two cars that are relatively the same. I wouldn't replace the F-Type with a Supra so I went with the 4C to have something that the F-Type isn't.

That being said, the F-Type is still my first love. It's a fantastic all around car and the looks aren't too bad on the eyes. The Supra I see in the same light. Good overall but not great at anything. It will have the creature comforts for a daily driver but there have been many severely negative comments about wind buffeting with the windows down which is sad.

If I didn't own any sports cars today, the Supra would be at the top of my buying list. However, I could see a stable with a Supra complimenting a 4C in someone's garage. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What worries me most is being that I have owned a 4C Will any sports car live up to my expectations. I mean there are many cars that are faster and have all the tech. But nothing that gave me the feeling the 4C did. I’ve owned many RWD sport cars. 370z’s 300z RX7’s MR2 Miata Crossfire Z435i to name a few. It wasn’t until the Alfa that I was happy. Almost all my prior cars were heavily modified and were faster than the Alfa. But none were as rewarding to drive. Hence the constant trading out of them or selling them for something else. The 4C was the longest I have ever owned a car. Just shy of 4 years. Nothing before that lasted even 2 years lol... I feel that I may not be able to have that same feeling without getting another. Unless I win the lotto and get a Ferrari 488...lol. I have no clue what I will end up buying. Maybe the 4C will be back in the garage maybe something else. I just don’t want to start the cycle of buying car after car again until the next (4C) is released.
I just wanted to get some opinions on the Supra since it is currently the front runner in cars I’m interested in. If I can’t find another 4C.

·
Registered
880 Posts
How Jeremy Clarkson summed up his test drive review

Eventually, my drive was over and I shuffled downwards, pushing my feet into the bottomleft corner of the footwell and my knees into the top-right corner so I could emerge head first into the light. And when I finally got to my feet, I couldn't help wondering … With each passing year, and in every country except America, the average human being becomes taller and more intelligent. Which means that the Supra is designed specfically for people who are smaller than average. Which means they're not that bright.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
I guess the obvious question is, why did you sell your 4C?

Supra, meh. Dime a dozen Japanese sportscar that most have already forgotten about.
It’s an 86 2.0. Not that this is condemnation, but it ain’t no Alfa.

Corvette C8, to me, would be the next logical choice. I wouldn’t trade my 4C for one, but since you are in the market, I’d suggest waiting another 4 months or so until you can test drive one.

F-type is a lovely car. Reviews have called it flawed, so it must be a great sports car. It’s proven itself to be pretty reliable and enduring. It has some cachet, and is not ubiquitous. The sound is amazing.

Beyond that, a Porsche to the limit of your budget. Used perhaps GT4 would put you in roughly the same price range and a close driving experience to the 4C. New, maybe a Cayman GTS or wait for the new GT4 but these will be more like $100K + cars.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
What worries me most is being that I have owned a 4C Will any sports car live up to my expectations. I mean there are many cars that are faster and have all the tech. But nothing that gave me the feeling the 4C did.
AMEN!!
My thoughts exactly, and then add in how damn good the 4C looks.
I personally think it is the last "Actual Sports Car" to be built. [most cars are GT cars and just too big for my taste]

I'm in the same boat with my motorcycle.
I have a 2006 Buell Lightning Bolt ( 12r with a 12S converted rear )
It does not have the top end to compare to most modern bikes, but nothing can out handle it on back roads where it's top speed of 125mph is more than enough combined with an insane amount of torque.
In the looks department, it's sexy.

People can have faster, newer, or more tech, but my 4C and Buell are always crowd favorites that pump the adrenaline.

The new Supra, like the Corvette, falls into the Meh category for me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The other cars: supra, jaguar,... are just some average performance sport cars.
They do not excell in any department.
The alfa is the lightest car with a roof and the most fun to drive.
An alternative might be the porsche gt3 rs 997. It is faster, the engine is wow, it handles great but is not that light and probably not as fun to drive. At least it wins on some accounts and is a nice car to have and to remember you owned one. It's a car you may keep it forever.
Alfa is an extreme car and the alternative should also be extreme.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
The other cars: supra, jaguar,... are just some average performance sport cars.
They do not excell in any department.
The alfa is the lightest car with a roof and the most fun to drive.
An alternative might be the porsche gt3 rs 997. It is faster, the engine is wow, it handles great but is not that light and probably not as fun to drive. At least it wins on some accounts and is a nice car to have and to remember you owned one. It's a car you may keep it forever.
Alfa is an extreme car and the alternative should also be extreme.
At an extreme price!

Not sure about where you live, but that it still a 1/4 million dollar car here (used). Even more if you want a stripped out Clubsport version. All of a sudden you are in F458 territory (or various other supercars from MacLaren and Lamborghini). It isn’t much less than what I paid for my farm! Or go halfway between the 4C value 997 GT3 RS and get an R8V10.

The value of these Porsches is hard to substantiate, good as they are. Amazing on the track, but you have to be some wealthy, incredibly confident, or just callous to take something that expensive out.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
AMEN!!
My thoughts exactly, and then add in how damn good the 4C looks.
I personally think it is the last "Actual Sports Car" to be built. [most cars are GT cars and just too big for my taste]

I'm in the same boat with my motorcycle.
I have a 2006 Buell Lightning Bolt ( 12r with a 12S converted rear )
It does not have the top end to compare to most modern bikes, but nothing can out handle it on back roads where it's top speed of 125mph is more than enough combined with an insane amount of torque.
In the looks department, it's sexy.

People can have faster, newer, or more tech, but my 4C and Buell are always crowd favorites that pump the adrenaline.

The new Supra, like the Corvette, falls into the Meh category for me.
I feel the same way with my Guzzis. Not the nimblest of machines but with a character all their own Including being rock solid at speed....Pointless of me stating the obvious with the 4C. ‘Me pleasers’, all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well Italy 3541, Reading between the lines, nothing short of a 4C is going to fill your void. So put your efforts into finding one. If you really want one you will find a 4c to your requirements. Or just buy loads of lotto tickets !! and get that 458.

·
Registered
663 Posts
At an extreme price!

Not sure about where you live, but that it still a 1/4 million dollar car here (used). Even more if you want a stripped out Clubsport version. All of a sudden you are in F458 territory (or various other supercars from MacLaren and Lamborghini). It isn’t much less than what I paid for my farm! Or go halfway between the 4C value 997 GT3 RS and get an R8V10.

The value of these Porsches is hard to substantiate, good as they are. Amazing on the track, but you have to be some wealthy, incredibly confident, or just callous to take something that expensive out.
Porsche 997 GT3 in Europe starts from around 66.000 Euro. Still more expensive than alfa but not that far away.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
Porsche 997 GT3 in Europe starts from around 66.000 Euro. Still more expensive than alfa but not that far away.
Yeah, GT3 is a different car from the Rennsport edition.
Not that a GT3 is a bad car, but it's not in the same zip code as a GT3RS in terms of price or performance!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts