Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
It seems to me to much weighting is given to "how fast is a given car". Yeah there are cars always faster than what you have but how many cars make you want to drive one for the pleasure of driving. I still remember how much enjoyment I got from my old 1970 ALFA spider. It was modded a lot but still not anywhere as quick as my 4C (also slightly modded). But I never had any reason to wish that old 1970 ALFA was any faster....it was a real sports car and like the 4C an absolute blast to drive and a great looker.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Porsches are very expensive to track. They run through brake pads and tires very fast so you'll spend a ton on consumables. The GT3 was going to be a car that I went for once I would decide to get rid of my race car and slim down sports cars. However, after talking to a few current owners, they are more of a maintenance headache than I would want.

That being said, almost anything that weights over 3000 lbs and going that fast, is going to be hard on brakes and tires. Corvettes, Vipers, etc all are pretty rough on the wallet if you want to track them a lot. For me, I've done the high powered track cars in my past. At this stage, I would prefer something that doesn't eat brake pads and tires even if it's not as quick. This is why cars like the 4C and the Lotus Exige/Elise are more appealing for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
Porsches are very expensive to track. They run through brake pads and tires very fast so you'll spend a ton on consumables. The GT3 was going to be a car that I went for once I would decide to get rid of my race car and slim down sports cars. However, after talking to a few current owners, they are more of a maintenance headache than I would want.

That being said, almost anything that weights over 3000 lbs and going that fast, is going to be hard on brakes and tires. Corvettes, Vipers, etc all are pretty rough on the wallet if you want to track them a lot. For me, I've done the high powered track cars in my past. At this stage, I would prefer something that doesn't eat brake pads and tires even if it's not as quick. This is why cars like the 4C and the Lotus Exige/Elise are more appealing for me.
Agreed....that is why the Miatas are so popular. Low consumables cost and a great car to learn how to drive on a track. Porsche are great track cars if you have deep pockets. Corvette and Vipers have same issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts

Absolutely. Which is I think why our local Porsche dealership hosts track days. Builds up business for the parts and service departments. And a Porsche prices, it makes for an expensive hobby!

I know that Camaro, and Giulia Q can be added to that list of heavy, fast cars which tear through consumables almost as quickly as the tear up the back straight.

However, in skilled hands (likely someone who has come up through lighter, low power cars), they can be an amazing track weapon without totally breaking the bank. You do need to know how to manage brakes and tires on track, though.

I don’t think that all that many of us know how lucky we are with the 4C. It plays well with the big boys at a much lower cost per event. The term “punches above its weight” comes to mind. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,297 Posts
Agreed. The other issue is that a car designed for the street is a car that is a PITA to track frequently due to time to do any maintenance. Back in 70s my friend and I had converted a step nose ALFA GTV into a SCCA B sedan race car. It took us nearly every weekend for 1 year before it was race worthy. It did quite well....never won a race but always finished near front and always finished race. The problem was that the two of us spent LOTS of hours getting it ready for each race since anything we wanted to do wasn't easy. I made up my mind that if I continued it should be with a spec racer. Those cars are designed for easy maintenance. Pull the engine or trans on one of those.....a few minutes. Access to work.....pull off the body panels easy since they are held on with a few Dzeuse (sp?) fasteners. Since we didn't have a "crew" the spec racers made a lot of sense. And since they were ultra light the consumables cost would be dramatically less in comparison. Gradually though we gave up racing as my friend's work cut into our available maintenance time and he often had to travel for extended periods of time for his job. Was fun while it lasted though. By the way that car was bought and converted from B sedan to C sedan with a 1300cc engine and went on to win a lot of races and won national races a couple of times. Guess we built a competent car ;-)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Cars that can be driven at 85 percent and still be really faster than most everything don't let you feel the ragged edge of cornering, braking and throttle to get the power down.

Numbers? Yeah, but to feel anything, you have to heave 3500 lbs / 1600 kgs over onto the tires and haul it all into control with heavy duty dampers and giant brakes.

Slower cars at 100% still more fun that bigger GT stuff at any percent.

To this day, I've not seen any car reviews that have more smiles than the 4C. Been reading all the rags since the 1970s and videos online before most people knew what that even was.

·
Registered
663 Posts
He is searching an alternative to the 4c (not necessarily for the race track). We already established the 4c is much cheaper on track than almost everything that has a roof and number plate + is very high on the fun factor. Ofcourse the best option would be to buy another 4c but apparently this option is not on the table.
To me another good option would be the gt 3 / gt3 rs 997 (gt3 rs is around 90k in Europe) .
Lotus is too similar to the 4c.
Maybe honda s2000 would be another option.
Are there any other options?

·
Registered
625 Posts
What is everyones thoughts on the new Supra. Yes yes I know its a BMW Z4 etc... I test drove one the other day and I must say its got some power. Not to mention a bunch of aftermarket companies dumping products out for it day after day. I will say it didn't make me smile the way my 4C did. And you don't feel special while driving it the way you do when in a Alfa. But it did handle very well. A little too much tech in my opinion but thats they way everything is headed today. Ever since selling my 4C to another member I have been looking to get another 4C but being very picky on color and options there just isn't much out there for me. So I have been playing with the idea of getting something else. I have looked into the Audi TTS, very nice car. Great handling and loads of aftermarket support. Also the Jaguar F-type. Very pretty car but it didn't do it for me. Although my test drive was in heavy traffic so I didn't get to have much fun with it. May be worth another drive.

To get to the point. I am trying to figure out what way to go. I love the 4C. I bought mine brand new and it made me happier than I ever have been with a car. But now not being able to find another has got me looking for a replacement. Which as we all know nothing really compares to a 4C. So I guess my question is, If you had to get something else what would you get?
i'll try to be as positive in my comments as possible. Sorry this is the best i can do
1. It's not an attractive car (see i didn't say ugly once)
2. in recent car magazine tests it has been ranked closed to the bottom or the bottom in every review
3. January 2020 Road and Track - Performance car of the year edition. Supra came up short again. Lost to Hyundai Veloster N. "The Toyota somehow manages to be joyless" editor at large Sam Smith

·
Registered
216 Posts
2. in recent car magazine tests it has been ranked closed to the bottom or the bottom in every review
Which reviews are you referring to? The majority of the reviews are the car are good except for a few things:

1. Fake vents.. Yes, everyone hates the fake vents.
2. Wind buffeting with the windows down. Apparently, pretty deafening.
3. Steering wheel complaints. Some dislike the size of the steering wheel but apparently the size was didicated by the airbag.
4. Some overall quality issues. It appears, some the GR Supra's are having some basic quality issues with panels being lose and/or rattles.

However, overall, the car has been received quite favorably.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which reviews are you referring to? The majority of the reviews are the car are good except for a few things:

1. Fake vents.. Yes, everyone hates the fake vents.
2. Wind buffeting with the windows down. Apparently, pretty deafening.
3. Steering wheel complaints. Some dislike the size of the steering wheel but apparently the size was didicated by the airbag.
4. Some overall quality issues. It appears, some the GR Supra's are having some basic quality issues with panels being lose and/or rattles.

However, overall, the car has been received quite favorably.

A Friend of mine bought one and had a flat tire. They had to search for a replacement took several days. Then the tire sensor was damaged. They had to order from BMW...no replacement part in stock. Bottom line is the car was flat bedded to the dealer two months ago where it sits waiting for the part. Toyota has provided a rental car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A Friend of mine bought one and had a flat tire. They had to search for a replacement took several days. Then the tire sensor was damaged. They had to order from BMW...no replacement part in stock. Bottom line is the car was flat bedded to the dealer two months ago where it sits waiting for the part. Toyota has provided a rental car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well guys I bought a Supra yesterday. First impressions is it has great power and handles well. It is heavy so definitely not as sharp as the 4C. Again I am not trying to compare the two as I know they are just not the same type of car. Time will tell if it will satisfy my fun needs. Again I love the 4C and regret to this day selling mine. But my inpatients has led me to this decision. So far the Supra has not disappointed me. I really think most of the bad press behind the return of the Supra is based off of the purist that believe it should have been a 2jz motor and not have a BMW motor. Personally I like the BMW power plant having owned BMW in the past. It’s more people looking for a reason to bash something new. At the end of the day the car does perform well and has a great aftermarket behind it, making modifications easily available. As for the looks that all comes down to who is looking at it. I think it’s a great looking car. But no where near as good looking as the 4C. Again I didn’t start this post to compare them. Just get some different views on the car. There is a ton of people out there who hate on the new Supra just as there are that do the same on the 4C. Being I have now owned both I can say that they are both great cars it really just comes down to what you like.

the 4C will always be my favorite car I have ever owned. And I’m sure one day I will get another.
The Supra time will tell weather it can fill the gap that the 4C has left for me. But so far I’m hopeful.

All I can say is They are totally different cars and not comparable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That happens with just about all new cars in North America if they aren't an American brand. BMW's, Audi's, and even the 4C... When they are that new, it takes a while for spare parts to be available and they are almost always special order until they can see a trend of what to keep stocked at dealerships.

Well guys I bought a Supra yesterday.
Pics or it didn't happen! ;) Just kidding but would love to see the pics. I took a drive yesterday as we had some nice weather and I saw a white 2020 Supra heading home who was also out enjoying the good weather. Looked phenomenal.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well done and congrats on your new car. There are a few Supra’s out here too, and I like the look of it (but then I also like the look of the Civic Type R).
I will say this as well - I’m looking forward to you buying a 4C again. I’ve got the t-shirt, so have a fair idea of what I’m talking about...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here is a quick pic. I drive 250 miles to get her. I didn’t let the dealer clean the car because I’m very particular when it comes to that and also the long drive home didn’t seem worth having them do it. Also I didn’t want anyone touching the car.. lol.. I will be clay baring and buffing her this weekend so after that I’ll post a few more pics.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts