Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm from the UK, and I'm thinking of getting an Alfa 4C….i've had a manual Nissan 370z GT for the last 6 years and absolutely love that car.

Just a few thoughts/questions if you could indulge me…

Can someone tell me how the Alfa 4C transmission behaves as you approach red line? Will it change up on its own in manual mode (this trait really frustrates me on modern cars, I've driven brand new Audis and Volvos recently and it is infuriating) or do you have full control? Also how does it behave on downshifts, does it change down readily or is it very reluctant to prevent damage if it thinks you are going too quick to change down etc My 370z has rev-matching on down shifts, which works brilliantly, shame Alfa didn't offer a manual but guess that's the way things are going now.

I'm also not a fan of the paddles being attached to the steering wheel, I drove a Giulia through the Alps (Stelvio Pass :)) with its big aluminium paddles on the steering column and really loved it, wished they had done the same on the 4C but it comes down to personal preference I guess.

Along with other car enthusiasts I am really not happy with the way the car industry is going, all SUVs, electric, autonomous driving etc. Along with the 2035 ban on petrol/diesel cars on the horizon in the UK, this is pushing me towards the 4C as a last chance possibly to own a mid-engine, rear wheel drive, carbon fibre sports car. I'm looking for something visceral.

I was thinking about the spider as I love the rear vents etc on the engine cover, reminds me very much of a Ferrari, and you lose that on the coupe with the big sloped rear window. However this will be my only car and hence my daily, also I may not be able to keep it under cover in a garage, it may be exposed to the elements 24/7, is the fabric roof fully waterproof and is it durable enough for this? Doubt I would have the roof off very often, I just prefer the lines of the rear on the Spider. I have read on the forum about some third party retailers offering a hard top for the spider but would not be able to afford this for quite some time (I'm pretty much maxed out getting the car as it is).

Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Welcome!

4C and 370Z owner here. You may recognize a name or two from the370 . Com forum are here now, if you participate there.

The 4C is what the Fairlady wants to be when it grows up, if Nissan didn’t want to sell any. Manual, well, you aren't likely to miss that for long. It’s nice to drive a stick, but this car is so engaging in other ways that you are not likely to notice after a few miles. The car will downshift to protect the drivetrain / stop a stall if you are totally stupid about it. And at the top end you’ll just hit redline and get a momentary fuel cutoff. The computer (you don’t shift a DCT, you suggest a shift to the TCU) will not let you do a “money shift”. But it does blip the throttle nicely on manual and automatic downshifts.

Paddles on the steering wheel isn’t a big deal. The rack is really quick, so you only move your hands on a 90 degree turn at low speed such as a right (left in the UK) after a stop. Otherwise, everything stays at your fingertips, which is as it should be. Paddles on the column, though nice, can be a pain when things like wipers, cruise stalk, signals and lights are all crammed in a tight area. In the 4C case, you might well wind up flashing the high beams or spraying the windshield instead of shifting!

Spider or coupe - it’s all preference. But if you are out for a new car, the coupes are pretty much gone.

Good luck in your search. Drive one, and see if it is for you!

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
Guess who’s never driven a 4C, Jimbo? Find one you like and try it, is my suggestion. If you’re worried that the car changes gear by itself 500rpm before the redline stop worrying. It won’t let you change down if it will cause an over-rev. It also won’t let you change up if it will cause the engine to labour. Excellent rev matching and smoothness when driving hard too.
Paddles on the steering wheel is something you adapt to. It helps being in the right gear for the exit of a corner when you enter it.
Scara73 has just developed a Carbon fibre hardtop and it will be on sale soon, if not already, for €3,000.00. Bargain hard on the purchase price and you’ll have spare cash for it.
Try to find cover for it if you get one. I’d hate to see someone buy one just to kill it prematurely due to exposure the weather. There are lots of less than premium quality bolts and screws on the underside of the car that you should replace with better quality ones, especially with your salted winter roads. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
714 Posts
IMHO, the 4c is not a daily car and you may not be able to keep it for daily use for the following reasons:
1) It's meant to generate the racing feeling on the street. ... all the time ... so it doesn't like to be driven on common traffic.
2) If you have a light accident the repairing can cost a lot.
3) It's totally different from a 370z so if you loved the 370z on the street then this might be too much.
4) You may have a hard time justifying yourself to leave the car outside --> might end up trying to get the car inside the house through a window or something :)))

I'm pretty sure you would love the alfa 4c but not as a daily car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 4c is like a giant middle finger to the direction of the entire auto industry. You need to drive one. Most of your concerns will disappear.

The top of the spider is great but honestly, you'll have it off more than you know. I understand it'll be outside, but its easy to remove. My daughter (very young, so cut her some slack) laughed when she saw I had the windows up one day. She said she didn't know it had windows 😅 . Top off and windows down is the only way to enjoy the car! (Go ahead coupe people, come at me)

One of my final license plate choices was VSCERAL. Visceral is the best one word to describe the driving experience. Try it

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
The 4c is like a giant middle finger to the direction of the entire auto industry. You need to drive one. Most of your concerns will disappear.

The top of the spider is great but honestly, you'll have it off more than you know. I understand it'll be outside, but its easy to remove. My daughter (very young, so cut her some slack) laughed when she saw I had the windows up one day. She said she didn't know it had windows 😅 . Top off and windows down is the only way to enjoy the car! (Go ahead coupe people, come at me)

One of my final license plate choices was VSCERAL. Visceral is the best one word to describe the driving experience. Try it
Coupe person coming at you.... give me a ride!!!

:D

·
Super Moderator
3,556 Posts
Everyone has described why you should get one. Of course if you came here hoping to get talked out of it....you are in the wrong place ;-) Go for a ride and you will quickly see what it is all about....RAW enthusiasts car. About the only thing I disagree with your comments is the placement of the paddles on the steering wheel question. It is mostly a choice....some like them there others want them on the column. That being said I have seen several reviews by race drivers who comment that the way they are on the 4C is correct for track driving as your hands are always in the appropriate place when driving quickly. They don't require you to re position your hands and loosing the orientation of the wheel to direction of travel. And take it from me.....the 4C will require both hands on the wheel when driven quickly. Once you drive a 4C you will see a huge difference in feel from your 370.
You can certainly use it for a daily driver as many do but remember that compared to your 370 it will require a lot more attention to packing..... ;) ;)
And don't forget to add more time to get to an appointment....every time you stop people will want to talk to you about the car and take pictures.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Awesome car - may be difficult as a daily driver but depends on the person and the drive.

I strongly prefer the looks of the coupe but that is subjective. Go for it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could compare the two on paper all day but what's really important is to test drive one.

All those specs and numbers and pros and cons will become meaningless as you are enveloped in the thrill of driving one of the greatest driver's experiences ever made.

From there you just have to decide if you can put up with the lack of some creature comforts and conveniences :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm looking for something visceral.
If that’s your highest priority, your (4C) ship has definitely come in!

When younger, before having children, a large dog that accompanies me to work everyday, and several motorcycles that must be hauled to various tracks, I would have been happy - overjoyed really - to endure the 4C’s many practical shortcomings.

I once heard the 4C described as the perfect 3rd car and can certainly appreciate that sentiment because that’s what my 4C coupe is to me. My daily (and bike hauler) is an FJ Cruiser, and my second “car” consists of a BRZ and 11 motorcycles (BRZ going up for sale soon).

Knowing mine would not be a daily, I was willing to purchase a new coupe, sight unseen, no test drive. However, after committing to purchase but before delivery I had the opportunity to test a Spider and did so just for fun.

I think anyone on the fence would know within a couple miles if the 4C is the car for them. And since this will be your daily, I‘d definitely recommend a long test drive, preferably solo. I flew to Houston to pick up my 4C three days later.

Absolutely no regrets except for wishing I’d bought one sooner. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
There are a few people who have purchased their 4C's for daily driving. I don't know if they are on here, but I've seen them post on the Facebook groups and Instagram. It can be done. With a small car, there will be compromises that you will make having a small car as your only car. i.e. if you need to purchase large things, you'll have to have them delivered or have a friend help you out.

As long as you keep up on maintenance, there is no mechanical reason the car cannot be used as a daily driver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Out of the 10 working days I owned the car I took it to work 5. I don't take it when I arrive later, the garage is full, and and would have to leave it parked outside, otherwise I would take it every day. I live in California, so weather is also nice most of the time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not sure I would use the car as a daily driver. the lack of storage space would be a problem on many occasions. I also like having it as a special driving experience, and using it daily might take away some of that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not sure I would use the car as a daily driver. the lack of storage space would be a problem on many occasions. I also like having it as a special driving experience, and using it daily might take away some of that.
Nah it's like having sex with a super model every day, always special

1 - 20 of 30 Posts