Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I once heard the 4C described as the perfect 3rd car and can certainly appreciate that sentiment because that’s what my 4C coupe is to me. My daily (and bike hauler) is an FJ Cruiser, and my second “car” consists of a BRZ and 11 motorcycles (BRZ going up for sale soon).
I plan on selling my BRZ and dailying the 4C. I'm a madman for sure. :giggle:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is there anyone who has a 4c and no other car ?
Because some may say they daily the 4c, but if they have another car they also have another option --> Sometimes you may need an "escape" option like when it rains or when you go to a place where is difficult to park or a place with steep ramps etc.
Just having another car as an option (or public transportation options) can change the game.
If the girlfrend / wife has a car then you may also have an option.

·
Super Moderator
3,556 Posts
I previously had a 1970 ALFA duetto that I bought new. It was my DD for a few years including after I got married and had a baby. In those days I was able to put the baby seat behind the passenger seat and lock it in place. Couldn't get away with that now days ;-) Finally got a sedan when the baby was about 2. The 4C won't work for that of course since there is NO space for a baby seat and you aren't supposed to put a baby in the passenger seat due to the air bag. If you were single though there is more than enough room in the passenger seat and the trunk for a lot of stuff. A couple can also work it out as long as you pack very lightly. I know a few that have gone on long trips with good packing and if necessary, using UPS to forward additional clothing and gear to the destination. Bottom line.....DD can be done with a 4C and several have had a 4C as their only car.
Bottom line....a little extra planning is nothing compared to the fun of driving the 4C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I'm from the UK, and I'm thinking of getting an Alfa 4C….i've had a manual Nissan 370z GT for the last 6 years and absolutely love that car.

Just a few thoughts/questions if you could indulge me…

Can someone tell me how the Alfa 4C transmission behaves as you approach red line? Will it change up on its own in manual mode (this trait really frustrates me on modern cars, I've driven brand new Audis and Volvos recently and it is infuriating) or do you have full control? Also how does it behave on downshifts, does it change down readily or is it very reluctant to prevent damage if it thinks you are going too quick to change down etc My 370z has rev-matching on down shifts, which works brilliantly, shame Alfa didn't offer a manual but guess that's the way things are going now.

I'm also not a fan of the paddles being attached to the steering wheel, I drove a Giulia through the Alps (Stelvio Pass :)) with its big aluminium paddles on the steering column and really loved it, wished they had done the same on the 4C but it comes down to personal preference I guess.

Along with other car enthusiasts I am really not happy with the way the car industry is going, all SUVs, electric, autonomous driving etc. Along with the 2035 ban on petrol/diesel cars on the horizon in the UK, this is pushing me towards the 4C as a last chance possibly to own a mid-engine, rear wheel drive, carbon fibre sports car. I'm looking for something visceral.

I was thinking about the spider as I love the rear vents etc on the engine cover, reminds me very much of a Ferrari, and you lose that on the coupe with the big sloped rear window. However this will be my only car and hence my daily, also I may not be able to keep it under cover in a garage, it may be exposed to the elements 24/7, is the fabric roof fully waterproof and is it durable enough for this? Doubt I would have the roof off very often, I just prefer the lines of the rear on the Spider. I have read on the forum about some third party retailers offering a hard top for the spider but would not be able to afford this for quite some time (I'm pretty much maxed out getting the car as it is).

Thanks for reading.
Past 370z owner myself(sold my Z days before I got my 4C). Loved the car. Had for car about 4 years and was disappointed Nissan had no plans for making a “390z” or whatever you’d want to call the next generation.

I have a yellow 2014 Stingray corvette, 2019 600 Suzuki, and a 2015 Nissan Titan (the girlfriend has 2 Priuses) . I’ve had my 4C for almost a month now and have yet to drive one of the other vehicles ONCE. So the 4C is definitely my daily. I run through an automatic car wash almost every single day(I’m determined to use the monthly membership) and even do my grocery shopping the in car. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
I enjoy the top off, but I feel like the car actually looks better with it on.
Im 6’1” 230 pounds with big feet so unless I’m able to open up my door all the way, it’s always a pain to get in and out of the car, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Go ahead and buy it, you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 4c is like a giant middle finger to the direction of the entire auto industry. You need to drive one. Most of your concerns will disappear.

The top of the spider is great but honestly, you'll have it off more than you know. I understand it'll be outside, but its easy to remove. My daughter (very young, so cut her some slack) laughed when she saw I had the windows up one day. She said she didn't know it had windows 😅 . Top off and windows down is the only way to enjoy the car! (Go ahead coupe people, come at me)

One of my final license plate choices was VSCERAL. Visceral is the best one word to describe the driving experience. Try it
Fantastic analogy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ha ha no I'm still here, thanks to everyone for all the brilliant feedback, really useful. I can only afford one car and wouldn't have access to any others so I would have to use it as a daily drive. It would either be that or not get one at all. I'm happy to compromise on all the 'practical' stuff.

Where in the UK are you? Might be a member nearby who can convince you.
I'm from Birmingham, not sure if there are any willing 4C owners nearby but would love the opportunity to look around one if possible. I've only ever seen one on the road in the UK.

There are only 23 cars currently for sale in the UK at the moment. There is a red spider I'm currently looking at, I have emailed the seller enquiring as to whether the car has had the steering geometry modification but no reply so far. It has the dark finish five-hole alloys which are my favourite, carbon mirrors and rear parking sensors. Only thing I don't like are the red brake callipers, I would prefer yellow but guess that is something I could change at a later date. Also its almost 5 years old so will need the big cam belt service. Does anyone know how often the bolt tightening service needs doing?

The only other thing I'm wrestling with in my head is the fact I only drive a short distance to work and live in the city centre, so the car wouldn't get a good run out until I can take it into the country on my days off, but that's more to do with my personal circumstances than the car.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
The bolt tightening is listed as every 12,000 miles or 2 years (whichever comes first).
Many here believe that is overly conservative - probably as long as the car has had one good (proper, full, dealership) tightening, it should be good for longer.

This is not a great city car. Low clearance over bumps, potholes, ramps and speed bumps. You need to open the doors very wide to get in and out (so narrow parking spots are bad). Backing in or out of parking into traffic is frightening. Backing out of angled parking is done using The Force. Parallel parking - well, replacing the sills are something like $6,000 in parts each, so you decide if you want to hit the curbs.

In the right environment, this car can be dailied. Not sure if that describes your situation, though.

Good luck!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts