Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,314 Posts
The process is, after having disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnecting it, turn the ignition key to light up the dash (not turn on the engine) for 10 seconds then off for 5. (A proper 10 and 5) Repeat twice more (so you’ve done the sequence three times) then start the car. Keep your feet away from all pedals as you do it. Touch nothing but the ignition key, just to be certain. If you’ve done this properly and you still have the issue have you considered it might be a slight glitch in the ecu programming?Having it reflashed might be the next step.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I recorded a video tonight of the behaviour I'm trying to describe. This time it took 4 attempts (!!) before it did the proper cold start. Because of this the video is longer than it was supposed to be, so apologies, but you'll see/hear the difference from the first 3 starts vs the 4th.

[youtube]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for this. I had a look but I couldn't see any cables hanging out or anything. To be honest I am not 100% sure on what I'm looking at/for though

Lawrence,
I would take the engine cover off and check your harness connectors and any vacuum tubing you can find next to eliminate the obvious things that can give dodgy information to the ecu.
Cheers,
Alf.

·
Super Moderator
7,314 Posts
It still idles nicely. Either get it checked out if it worries you or stop obsessing. Although helpful, everything suggested on here is guesswork. There may be a tiny leak due to a perforated line of slightly loose tube or wire, but the idle is smooth. Have you given it a blip of the throttle to see where the idle resettles?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Lawrence - what is the hiss hiss hiss noise that is there on the first start, but not for the second? It doesn't happen on any of the other starts. And yes I can see the difference with the last start and warm up so can see and hear what you're talking about.

Cheers,

Alf.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Fair point about the idle being fine and stopping obsessing. Still, I'd rather try and rule out things I can and the help here is/has been appreciated. I found this in one of the service manuals. I was right about the battery voltage playing a part. O2 sensors don't play a part here, so I guess it can't be them. I tried another ECU and it did the same thing, so it isn't a fault with the ECU itself.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts