Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Is the side impact protection different to the original door? Better, worse or same? I know GRP doors for other cars are only intended for caged cars but carbon I don’t know.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Is the side impact protection different to the original door? Better, worse or same? I know GRP doors for other cars are only intended for caged cars but carbon I don’t know.
You’re thinking of surviving a side impact from anything larger than a Fiat 500? I’d expect to be run over and flattened by just about everything in a side impact. Same as a frontal one. For a heavy rear-ender, I’d be hoping the fuel tank doesn’t rupture and I‘d remain conscious for a quick escape. For a tree or telegraph pole, maybe a bounce-off if the collision angle is favourable. The easiest alternative is to be aware enough to avoid one in the first place. Remember that 4C stack in the Middle East a couple of years ago? It was like a plane crash. The driver survived but the 4C was in bits. The tub was like a safety cell and protected the driver admirably...but he wasn’t hit by another car. All self-inflicted.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
The easiest alternative is to be aware enough to avoid one in the first place.
They cant all be avoided, trust me, or read my thread in new members intros. If the car I was in a few years ago was any less protective than it was, there is a good chance we wouldn't be having this conversation.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
They cant all be avoided, trust me, or read my thread in new members intros. If the car I was in a few years ago was any less protective than it was, there is a good chance we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Very true. I was hit by a red light runner several years ago in my wife’s Megane. If I didn’t notice her she would have hit me square in my door and I wouldn’t be typing this as well. As it happened I managed to brake hard at the last second and my front bumper ended up running down the side of her car. To add to my luck an off duty copper was behind me and saw the whole thing so the insurance claim was a cinch.
I’m very much aware that being so low, as you are in a 4C, exposes you to a certain kind of risk. Like riding a motorcycle, it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I’m hoping primary safety like brakes, steering and acceleration will be enough to extract me from danger. It has so far.
There‘ve been a few others too but managed to survive them all. Just luck. I realise some aren’t quite so fortunate.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Not to be a total jerk, but it doesn't really matter. These doors have no window and not designed to retrofit the OEM window or airbags. They are meant to use Lexan or no windows at all, basically track only. Since they are track only, then you really should be running a roll cage.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Not to be a total jerk, but it doesn't really matter. These doors have no window and not designed to retrofit the OEM window or airbags. They are meant to use Lexan or no windows at all, basically track only. Since they are track only, then you really should be running a roll cage.
That is exactly what I asked and you gave the answer so how are you being a jerk?
I questioned if these doors are for caged cars in the first place, because in my experience with other cars and composite doors is that that is always the case.

The weight saving mitigates some of the weight of the rollcage you need to run them. Pure track stuff. Shame nobody makes a street carbon door. More people would buy them if the glass fitted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My carbon door are very light but not without internal bar... I produce it as the stock one with a carbon bar. I have not done crash tests obvously but surely they are strong.
Look photo here below. If you want I can make other photos removing the internal carbon panel from the door :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition.
145 Posts
My carbon door are very light but not without internal bar... I produce it as the stock one with a carbon bar. I have not done crash tests obvously but surely they are strong.
Look photo here below. If you want I can make other photos removing the internal carbon panel from the door :)
This looks absolutely awesome Enry!

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a Spider owner, I like the carbon roof, and the fact that it can fit into the trunk as well! If the price is right, I might pick one up.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts