Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend who is not into cars asked me, a car nut, what sports car for around 50K is the best "deal" ?
His requirements;
Unique.
Non-depreciating.
Reliable.
Fun (not necessarily powerful ... again not a car guy).

My answer; 4C !!
"Naw its too small".

He's looking, for a few bucks more, at the BMW i8.
"GREAT LOOKING CAR !!! And its a BMW ! "
Whoop-de-do.
Gag me with a spoon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
4C is the answer. Used 911 also acceptable.

Older BMW i8s and i3s are starting to experience A/C compressor issues which doesn’t seem so bad until you understand that the A/C is used to cool the batteries. When the A/C fails, little metal shrapnel bits destroy the battery pack.

If you ever had a passing notion of picking up a used i8, Pat’s video will put a stop to that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Considered an i8 before the 4C, saw one on the McLaren lot and it was ruined. When younger had a late 90s firebird, the view of the i8 next to supercars and then the image of the firebird killed it. Compare the interior arrangement to the firebird, very close, size and height, very close I can't see an i8 anymore without seeing the damn firebird.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
He should get the i8.
4C would be wasted on him.

Sadly, there aren’t many cars that fit his requirements.
Used Corvette a generation or two old? Too plentiful.
370Z? Would be good, but perhaps not exclusive enough (half his budget).
Older Maserati Gran Tourismo perhaps? Reliability questions, but most seem to find then pretty good. Pretty car. But pretty big to be a “sports car”,
Camaro or Mustang? Not unique enough, although they do offer great fun / performance for the dollar.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
He should get a C4. Nice ones are less that $10K and you don't see that many these days. Comfortable, reliable, inexpensive parts/maintenance, nice V8 rumble. My "not a car lady" likes hers.

Seriously, it seems to meet all his requirements. And it's a transpose of 4C.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Jaguar F-type?
This is a good suggestion and something the person in question may be into. Nice looking car that makes a great noise, plus they’re pretty cheap now.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Not sure that a Jaguar or Vetter satisfy the “not depreciating” requirement. 😜
I don’t think any of the suggestions in this thread meet that requirement aside from the 4C and maybe the used 911 (if it’s the right 911). Everything else, i8, Evora, Jag, Vette, Giulia Quad, Maserati, etc are definitely depreciating. Hell, even the wrong 4C or 911 could probably still depreciate a little. Buying a car that actually won’t depreciate takes a deep understanding of the car market and the market for a the specific model you’re interested in that very few people actually possess. Even then it’s a crap shoot. I think that criteria functionally means low depreciation in this case…

·
Registered
786 Posts
1st gen C8 after the ZO6 comes out. There will be plenty around for sale.

Reactions: hornetball

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Not sure that a Jaguar or Vetter satisfy the “not depreciating” requirement. 😜
Just saw the 'non depreciating'.
Honestly, no one wants to have stuff depreciate, but if that is on your top priority, cars are not the wise investment.
I would suggest this item that (yes @John4C, my cousin has the other one lol) I procured in one of my (MANY) moments of stupidity:
My requirement similar to His requirements;
Unique. (yes)
Non-depreciating. (definitely)
Reliable. (yes and low/maintenance)
Fun (not necessarily powerful ... and FOR a CAR guy).

If he really wants to part with his money maybe he could do something silly like this. I tripped on this at a Ferrari club event in Palm Desert years back when some 'geniuses' chopped up three 308's to make fake (er....'replica') GTOs. The artist/creator/builder kept one, and found two idiot purchasers for the remaining.
They essentially had salvaged the rears and made bespoke couches. I told my cousin that I was going to place this in my bedroom and sit my arse (and hopefully other invitees) on it for the next 20 years and when the 308/328 values jumped and required restoration I would advertise it as:
"Perfect, Meticulously Maintained, No Rain, No Snow, No Sun, Ferrari Rear End stored for 20 years in Owners Bedroom under his watchful eye every night" 😝
My point, no disrespect to the purchaser, but if you are 'not' a car guy, go buy the best golf clubs or stereo, or dream vacation that you "DO" want, not throw any amount of your hard earned cash on something you think you should have....just my 0.02 cents. ✌

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Just saw the 'non depreciating'.
Honestly, no one wants to have stuff depreciate, but if that is on your top priority, cars are not the wise investment.
I would suggest this item that (yes @John4C, my cousin has the other one lol) I procured in one of my (MANY) moments of stupidity:
My requirement similar to His requirements;
Unique. (yes)
Non-depreciating. (definitely)
Reliable. (yes and low/maintenance)
Fun (not necessarily powerful ... and FOR a CAR guy).

If he really wants to part with his money maybe he could do something silly like this. I tripped on this at a Ferrari club event in Palm Desert years back when some 'geniuses' chopped up three 308's to make fake (er....'replica') GTOs. The artist/creator/builder kept one, and found two idiot purchasers for the remaining.
They essentially had salvaged the rears and made bespoke couches. I told my cousin that I was going to place this in my bedroom and sit my arse (and hopefully other invitees) on it for the next 20 years and when the 308/328 values jumped and required restoration I would advertise it as:
"Perfect, Meticulously Maintained, No Rain, No Snow, No Sun, Ferrari Rear End stored for 20 years in Owners Bedroom under his watchful eye every night" 😝
My point, no disrespect to the purchaser, but if you are 'not' a car guy, go buy the best golf clubs or stereo, or dream vacation that you "DO" want, not throw any amount of your hard earned cash on something you think you should have....just my 0.02 cents. ✌

View attachment 118584

View attachment 118585
That’s amazing!

Reactions: lpspeedster
1 - 20 of 50 Posts