Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have objective data, but there are certain drives where I have an intoxicating sense of satisfaction and ones where I just feel there is something that doesn't feel as good as it did on other cars (including Front/Rear, F/AWD, F/F, and R/R driven cars).

It just feels like long sweepers are a weakness. I expect to carry more speed through them. It's not a rotation issue or oversteer issue ever. Either the front is giving it up or the car moves off center in a neutral drift before I expect it to lose grip. This was true on the PZeros and the new tires (Gen GMax RS).

I have entertained the idea of shelving the LE five hole rims and saving them for sake of prosperity and resale, so let it be known that I'd been ok entertaining aftermarket rims with wider, softer rubber if the convo moves there, along with mods that wouldn't hurt value.

Bone stock car. Bone stock alignment.

OR... point out that it's my imagination.

Things that never feel wrong: Quick change of direction; tight radius; late hard braking to dive into a turn, even mega late; getting onto the power out of a turn; braking to set the fronts into pavement for grip; high-speed stability (nope, never feels floaty); point and squirt driving. All good.

I have about 15,000 miles / 24,000 km of 4C seat time. All drives are for pleasure.

Curious to hear other experiences.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
I do not have objective data, but there are certain drives where I have an intoxicating sense of satisfaction and ones where I just feel there is something that doesn't feel as good as it did on other cars (including Front/Rear, F/AWD, F/F, and R/R driven cars).

It just feels like long sweepers are a weakness. I expect to carry more speed through them. It's not a rotation issue or oversteer issue ever. Either the front is giving it up or the car moves off center in a neutral drift before I expect it to lose grip. This was true on the PZeros and the new tires (Gen GMax RS).

I have entertained the idea of shelving the LE five hole rims and saving them for sake of prosperity and resale, so let it be known that I'd been ok entertaining aftermarket rims with wider, softer rubber if the convo moves there, along with mods that wouldn't hurt value.

Bone stock car. Bone stock alignment.

OR... point out that it's my imagination.

Things that never feel wrong: Quick change of direction; tight radius; late hard braking to dive into a turn, even mega late; getting onto the power out of a turn; braking to set the fronts into pavement for grip; high-speed stability (nope, never feels floaty); point and squirt driving. All good.

I have about 15,000 miles / 24,000 km of 4C seat time. All drives are for pleasure.

Curious to hear other experiences.
Get the uniballs. You won’t believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
@Philster, FWIW, and interestingly enough, someone I know that has a couple of LE's and a dealership or two also commented that a non oem tire package that many have used here (OZ) is what he recommends! Now, that startled me as this guy does nothing but O E M on everything!

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
+1 on uniballs.

They won't re-write the laws of physics. But they won't de-form with the application of sustained high-G loads such as in a sweeper. Especially if the surface is a bit uneven, the radius changes, or the application of throttle on the corner is "lumpy".

The stock rubber bushings that the GMS uniballs (or Alfaworkshop complete upgraded rear arms) replace tend to generate minute changes of alignment in these circumstances - especially noticeable with stickier rubber than the P-Zeros. The result can be the equivalent of rear-wheel steering, only you don't have control of it! The solid replacements negate this effect.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Philster are you the @GMS influencer? Sponsored post? LOL

Your describing the performance case for uniballs, as @Alfanut pointed out above ;)
Well, I'll be... now I have to dive into this and hype the uniballs if they work, but for sake of transparency, I am not paid up front by @GMS ... but they can do me good later if there is a spike in sales should I come back here as a promotor of uniballs!

(Looked past the details and discussions on uniballs over the years, but no more).

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 on uniballs.

They won't re-write the laws of physics. But they won't de-form with the application of sustained high-G loads such as in a sweeper. Especially if the surface is a bit uneven, the radius changes, or the application of throttle on the corner is "lumpy".

The stock rubber bushings that the GMS uniballs (or Alfaworkshop complete upgraded rear arms) replace tend to generate minute changes of alignment in these circumstances - especially noticeable with stickier rubber than the P-Zeros. The result can be the equivalent of rear-wheel steering, only you don't have control of it! The solid replacements negate this effect.
Suspension definitely feels soft and inconsistent, in contrast to the flat cornering. The two feelings don't jive.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
@Philster, might this be more 'exaggerated' now by your new tires (sidewall construction/compund) or did you feel this throughout your time with the car?
One thing I noticed on the very short wheelbase cars (ESPECIALLY the 500 Abarth -even with lowering) is that they allow you to 'micro-correct' in the middle of an apex, at the cost of not feeling planted sweeping fast through it. When I previously changed rubber on the 500 those long sweeping on ramps 'felt' way more comfortable!!! Although the Upright Seating Position still sucked but at least you were going to get a great view since you were about to face plant whatever was in front of you!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@lpspeedster was same with the Pirellis. I waited to beat down the new tires before popping in here. Now that tires aren't the variable, I had to bring it up.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
@lpspeedster was same with the Pirellis. I waited to beat down the new tires before popping in here. Now that tires aren't the variable, I had to bring it up.
If that is the case and your dampers are working as they should the Uniballs solution might be the trick as others attest. But since I also agree with @lars on doing things in multiples, the Forum Vendors should maybe send us each a trial complimentary set so we can confirm they work on Coupes as well as Spiders!

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
At a minimum uniballs, but preferably fitted with the new arms. You will love hitting those sweepers, but the decent into the modding rabbit hole will begin.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What are we talkin' 'bout here... just rear uniballs to start?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any chance this is due to the rear most lower control arm mount? The mount on the frame is a couple mm larger than the bolt through the bushing. On a prolonged sweeper it seems like there could be movement. I’m not sure why they decided to use a bushing and bolt much smaller than the frame mounting point, I’ve not seen anything like this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
The "issue" you have is TIME in the long sweepers to feel what the car is doing. The issue is still there in the quick bends, but so much is happening in weight transfer, suspension adjustment, and everything else that you do not notice it.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with high performance cars and the only other car that felt like the back end was doing something completely different from the front was my OLD Honda Accord. The 4C isn't THAT bad, but it was hard to feel exactly what the back end is doing. It doesn't feel as planted or predictable as one should think. Part of this is due to the rear bushings, part is tire size selection, and the other part is probably psychological. If you have ever had the back end step out any any major way, you become VERY sensitive to it and are constantly thinking "is it going to go now? how about now? Or now?". They designed the car to be playful, so the rear tire size was not selected for ultimate grip, but playfullness and enjoyment. What you need to do is find a long sweeper that is smooth as glass, and see how the back end feels as you slowly up the speed. Then go find a bumpy sweeper and do the same thing. The bumps will allow you to feel that back end bushing flex as the back end will feel vague and unpredictable. As other owners have noted, the Uniballs from Rudi (GMS) or AlfaWorks really fix this issue. My personal experience with the uniballs is that you can instantly feel the difference if you are driving at 7/10th or so. I noticed it on the 3rd corner of my first lap on my track after the mod, which is a long high speed sweeper that isn't 100% smooth. It really makes a big difference if you are even mildly pushing it. Now I have sooo sooo much more confidence in what the back end is doing. Now my driving (and correcting skills) have gone up significantly, but the mod helps that vagueness.

@Rainier G - No major difference in feel between full GMS Uniball press fit into stock arms, and the full GMS Arms. My race shop has done several of these Uniballs mods for several different cars and they ran into the "standard" issue of manufacturing variability from Alfa Romeo. Some were a little too loose (mine), some where a little too tight. The Full GMS arms fix that issue. So I don't think it really matter which version you get for periodic track day with semi-slick tires. I'm working on getting a pair of slicks setup for my car, and that will give the race version of the GMS Arms a real workout... But I won't be able to compare back to stock or modified stock...

@[P2] - That photo doesn't look right. The bolt, thick shim, and subframe hole are nearly the same size on my car. Yes, there is a slight tolerance to allow fit, but it isn't a big change.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts