Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
Just as a comparative data point.

5 months ago (March '22) I purchased my MP LE #496 with 3400 miles on it for usd$55k (in Canada) from an Alfa dealer.

I would expect to pay even less today for the same car given the economic conditions.

The car is pristine, dash around airbag is perfect (although there was a small marred place where prev owner stuck a small plaque of some type on the front of dash).

It did need the timing service - but that's only an additional $1200 or so if getting it done at dealer (I did my own).

Anyway, sounds like OP's car is very similar to my purchase (albiet with some paint damage on OP's car) , I would guess slightly better sellers market in USA than Canada for this car, so maybe low to mid $50's is possible?

Registered
I think that was a spectacular deal and not very representative of the broader market. Maybe because Canada, I don't know.
At the time I felt it was a good deal, yes. I'm still quite happy with what I got for the price. Now with the downturn I think it would be just an acceptable deal (up here anyway). But just thought I'd throw it out there as data considering the practically identical OP's car.

Agree though that CAN vs USA market could be very different... Although from what I understand there are only around 17 MP LE cars in all of Canada so I felt lucky to get one in the exact colour and spec I wanted - thanks mostly to @4Canada .

Registered
Don鈥檛 tell me, another Victorian looking for a car in Sydney? 馃槈馃槀 Welcome but don鈥檛 forget to introduce yourself. Are you looking to buy?
HA! No, I'm not from Vic. I've been tempted by these cars for a while. Just don't tell my wife :censored:. I will update my profile soon and fill out the intro bit. In the mean time, I'm wondering if you can private msg me pls? I've done the 5 post minimum but it hasn't unlocked my ability to start a PM.

Super Moderator
HA! No, I'm not from Vic. I've been tempted by these cars for a while. Just don't tell my wife :censored:. I will update my profile soon and fill out the intro bit. In the mean time, I'm wondering if you can private msg me pls? I've done the 5 post minimum but it hasn't unlocked my ability to start a PM.
You need to wait for the daily Forum site refresh, whenever admin decides to do it. I鈥榲e noticed it usually happens early in the morning around 6AM.

Registered
FWIW:
I鈥檝e been seriously shopping for both a 4C and an Evora (different itches 鈥) for the last six months and checking the usual sites ---- BringATrailer, CarGurus, Cars.com, AutoTrader, CarsAndBids --- as well as talking with dealers in the area. There has been a GENERAL downward trend in asking/selling price on both of these. The Lotus decline can be attributed to the impending release of the Emira and existing Evora owners selling to buy the new model (it鈥檚 a theory!). Disregarding price, 4Cs are arguably much more of a niche, hardcore product and the potential audience for them smaller. Clean 4Cs, 2015-16-17 with less than 30,000 or so miles have drifted from the 60鈥檚 into the upper 50鈥檚. Supposed collectability of LE鈥檚 has little or no effect on sales price. The number of 4C鈥檚 on CarGurus hovers around 60 at any one time with a healthy selection of both lower and higher mileage cars at any one time. I believe that BringATrailer has become somewhat of an outlier in the market because there looks to be so much f**K U money floating around there that the thrill of an auction victory is trumping common sense in many cases.

My gut feeling is that by the middle-end of the fall the average selling price of a 4C in 鈥渘ice鈥 condition with 20-25K miles will stabilize (at least for the foreseeable future) at 51-53K and I鈥檒l be in at least one of my target cars.

On the other hand, I may just be totally full of s**t --- it wouldn鈥檛 be the first time!!

Registered
Just two weeks ago I talked to a dealer in Germany who told me that he sold a European LE at 65k Euro last year but this year he would see the same car at 75k Euro for a quick sell.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wow that鈥檚 a low mile white LE. Are you the original owner? What鈥檚 the LE number? Is it an LE with the factory PPF? Timing belt service done? Is the dash leather sagging or still tight like new?

All that stuff will play into value (maybe not the number, that鈥檚 me being curious, lol). Honestly, the 4C market has been soft for the past 3-6 months IMHO. Lots of the same inventory sitting around. The real question I would ask is how motivated are you to sell it? They made a lot of LEs but the MP white is the rarest LE. You have what sounds like a gem of a 4C. I鈥檇 love to see it go to someone who appreciates it.
Thanks for all the responses and insights. Glad to see this thread generating such a healthy amount of conversation. Leaving aside the outliers on both ends of the spectrum, I think the feedback is in line with my personal outlook as well. For better or for worse, it doesn't appear that the crazy used car market, especially for performance cars, has impacted 4C prices as much i.e. a rising tide doesn't life all boats, or certainly not to equal heights as the 993, 1M, NSX's of the world.

John4C, in response to your questions: I am the third owner having purchased it from a Benz dealership on the East Coast in 2017 with around 500 miles on the car. Apparently, it was owned by an older couple and was the wife's "fun" car. My guess is that it wasn't that much fun trying to contort in and out of the car so they traded it in for an AMG GT. The car does not have the factory PPF and no timing belt service done yet. The dash leather looks and feels tight as new. It's always been garaged during my ownership and even when I take it out I've only parked it outdoors under direct sunlight a handful of time. I also purchased the extended factory warranty which is good through March 27, 2023 and which I understand is transferable to the next owner should I decide to sell the car.

Registered
i.e. a rising tide doesn't life all boats, or certainly not to equal heights as the 993, 1M, NSX's of the world.
Not as much as those models, but definitely the tide rose quite a bit for a while. It wasn't long ago that 4Cs on auction sites were kicked in the teeth regularly.

Like this beautiful yellow 4C with low miles which went for $38.5k. if today that same car went for $60k, that's more than 50% increase.

Registered
I'm more curious on the timing belt. Mine has 15k on the clock I bought it with 12k on it a couple of years ago. Did all the service work when I bought it as I had no record of it being done. When asked about the timing belt the dealer told me not to worry about it it looked OK. I asked again when I had another service done and got the same answer which made sense because there was not too many more miles on the clock then when I first inquired. I'm not eager to give the dealer money don't get me wrong but if the car has low miles and kept in a garage why would the belts need to be replaced? Yes I know what the manual says.
On your OP here in Texas they run around $50k or so for a low mile example

Registered
... if the car has low miles and kept in a garage why would the belts need to be replaced?...
Unfortunately rubber ages and loses its integrity over time - even without use.

Similarly, tires, no matter how good they look, are recommended to be replaced after an age of 10 years age and generally even after 6-7 years age.

Rubber belts, tires, etc. may end up lasting 2x or 3x or more as long as the recommended replacement interval, and I imagine there's a healthy margin of safety spec'd into that interval duration. But re something mechanically critical like a timing belt I personally feel that when driving a relatively unique and expensive to fix car why risk destroying the engine's top end over a once-every-5-years $1500 service action? Sure, it'll probably be ok, but absolutely the older it gets, regardless of use, the higher the risk of failure.

Registered
@RedM It seems that the economy continues to get worse each month. Plus, with the rising interest rate, low-volume sports cars in the $50K-$100K price range will be in an awkward spot for potential buyers to justify purchasing. It's still a lot of money for many people, and the interest rate doesn't make it easier. It will be hard to know what the true market value will be during the recession. It will fluctuate quite a bit.

The 4C needs just a few more Youtube influencers or auto journalists to realize its rarity and value, and start hyping it up more frequently to drive the market price up. The 4C checks so many boxes of being a future classic - looks, rarity, performance, Italian heritage. But what's missing is the FOMO from enthusiasts at the moment... That's my view.

Having said so, you can always post an ad and test what the current market demand is like before putting it up for an auction. You just never know.

Premium Member
Hari's price is in line with the NY market. Recently I declined an unsolicited offer for my sub 10K miles LE that was close to Hari's number. This person also bid on the BaT listing but lost. I do not intend on selling my 4C for a long time. There's only a finite of them ever made and people are starting to realize what they are.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts