Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the main reason behind the bad reviews from Evo and the rest of the british motoring press is that the 4C has a very specific chassis set up which may not be suitable for British roads or doing powerslides "a la Top gear". I have not driven a Lotus or the new Alpine A110 (both praised by UK journos) but I don't think the 4C is a car you can jump in and get confident/confortable straight away; you can only drive it the way it wants to be driven. The steering can get very busy if you are travelling on roads with changing cambers and you need to get familiar with it. I can imagine a Lotus or the Alpine being more user friendly and therefore more accessible and quicker to understand.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
41 Posts
These journos are used to piloting fatty vanilla land yachts that do the driving for them. I still own a Cayman S (until I get it sold); the press loves that car because it makes it easy to look good behind the wheel—it flatters the driver and makes you think you are a better driver than you really are. Sure the Alfa has some faults, but the biggest complaint seems to be that it will expose your faults as a driver. You get out exactly what you put in—it doesn’t make you think you are more skilled, it allows you to become more skilled.

Everyone talks about wanting pure unfiltered lightweight driver’s cars until they actually get what they asked for. Then some folk’s egos won’t allow them to come to terms with the fact that just aren’t core enough for it—so they complain about the air-con knobs. I was bored with my Porsche; all engineering and no passion... Rant over, I’m going for another drive...

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,053 Posts
About that Renault....heard that it is being pulled off the market. Any others heard confirming news? Evidently it is in a niche market that isn't popular...where did we hear that before ;-)
I think that cars like it, the 4C, and Lotus Elise/Exige are a dying market due to consumer demand. So if you like this type of car....get a 4C before they are all gone. And no....you can't buy mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
but I don't think the 4C is a car you can jump in and get confident/confortable straight away; you can only drive it the way it wants to be driven.
That's exactly it. I can't imagine there's another car on the market wich changes behavior so radically with one psi difference in tire pressure, for example. Maybe the caterham or the Ariel atom. But maybe not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
About that Renault....heard that it is being pulled off the market. Any others heard confirming news? Evidently it is in a niche market that isn't popular...where did we hear that before ;-)
I think that cars like it, the 4C, and Lotus Elise/Exige are a dying market due to consumer demand. So if you like this type of car....get a 4C before they are all gone. And no....you can't buy mine.
The latest news is that Alpine A110 will live until 2022 - 2023, but they will be no following model. It's highly probable that the historical Alpine plant (in Dieppe) will be closed in 2023.
If the sale numbers are too low, perhaps the model will be terminated earlier. If you're thinking about buying one, don't hesitate too long.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
As someone who had five Elises between 2002 and 2012, I’m reading the various comparisons with interest especially as Chris Harris is my cousin and gave me a few tips as to getting the best out of my first Elise. Overall he liked the 4C and certainly approves of my choice compared to what he thought of my MX5!

I’ve done a lot of work on Elises and they aren’t easy to deal with, but originally Lotus were only going to make 2500. Their aluminium tubs weigh the same as the 4C’s.
Lotus are being very secretive about the next Elise and my friend who runs a Lotus/Morgan/Caterham dealership hasn’t any information on a new model.
Interesting. I had a look at trading in one of my old Alfa's (anti-classic-storm has arrived with us, I won't fight it) for an Abarth 124 Spider. It was fun and in particular the exhaust sound is glorious.
But: steering was really hazy. I get that for a sedan for example, with epas, that is just the way it is. But not a sports car. And on top of that my sedan - a Guilia - has much, much sharper steering.
Drove an MX5 30th edition on that back of that. Different, better, but still hazy for what should be a focused sports car . Made me wonder what all the fuss is about.
I still think they are neat and to be applauded, but f the MX5 had been an Alfa the moaning, whining and wailing about the steering would have reached outer space.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Interesting. I had a look at trading in one of my old Alfa's (anti-classic-storm has arrived with us, I won't fight it) for an Abarth 124 Spider. It was fun and in particular the exhaust sound is glorious.
But: steering was really hazy. I get that for a sedan for example, with epas, that is just the way it is. But not a sports car. And on top of that my sedan - a Guilia - has much, much sharper steering.
Drove an MX5 30th edition on that back of that. Different, better, but still hazy for what should be a focused sports car . Made me wonder what all the fuss is about.
I still think they are neat and to be applauded, but f the MX5 had been an Alfa the moaning, whining and wailing about the steering would have reached outer space.
Just like the the 4C, a proper alignment is key for the MX5. I miss my LE RF.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Totally agree. My NB is on Koni / Eibach set up, slightly lowered and alignment. The handling inspires more confidence than the 4C
NC with ohlins and advans here and I concur. However the insanity of the 4C is intoxicating in a way the MX5 can’t possibly manage even though both are lightweight. Plus I’m hoping the uniballs and a decent alignment will help the confidence side of things.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
NC with ohlins and advans here and I concur. However the insanity of the 4C is intoxicating in a way the MX5 can’t possibly manage even though both are lightweight. Plus I’m hoping the uniballs and a decent alignment will help the confidence side of things.
Until you boost that little roadster to put it on a level playing field.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Until you boost that little roadster to put it on a level playing field.
No. From both experience and observation if you touch the drivetrain in any significant way it’s a slippery slope to misery both from a cost and reliability standpoint. They’re just not meant to go fast.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,053 Posts
Those tweaks will make a huge difference....AND better tires ;)

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C w package 22C, Coupe Track package, leather upgrade and the forged 18s and 19s.
36 Posts
My boosted Miata you see here was tuned to 262 whp and is an absolute beast on the track. Very reliable and really no issues. But of course I couldn't leave good enough alone and wanted a little more power for the straights so I now have a built VVT motor in it. I installed it 3 years ago and need to install the new stand alone computer to get it running again. I moved and have been in house remolding mode for the last 3 years, but I plan it get back to the Miata this summer.

Anyway, it's one of the best track cars I've ever driven. Even other instructors that ride with me have commented saying the same thing. It has a converted manual rack now and the steering feel is awesome. Plus, it's not irreplaceable. Most of the expensive bits could be swapped over if something was to happen.
Miata.JPG

I plan to track the Alfa at least once to see how it does but the Miata is perfect and purpose built for the track. Still street legal w AC too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've owned five forced induction Miatas, two turbos and three superchargers and they've all been reliable. Current Miata is an NC with Cosworth designed supercharger and Fox suspension among other mods, might end up switching to a turbo for that car because the 4C makes it feel pretty tame.
IMG_3356.JPG

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to be wined and dined at terrific events, you need to be kind to the hand that feeds you. The German marques are quite the hosts when they want a good review. Just like you won't be invited back to Maranello if you are critical on a Ferrari. Alfa and British marques just don't have resources to buy loyalty and submission.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I'm sure 4Canada remembers this... When he joined the forum he and I got into a little spat about what the point of the 4C was. My view was that the car was made as a "reward" for Alfisti who'd lived and breathed Alfa Romeo their entire lives. And when I took delivery of mine I was even more convinced. It was nowhere near perfect, but felt perfect for me.
The fact that it has ended up bringing a bunch of "newbies" to the fold says more about the fact that you "newbies" were all actually closet Alfisti, than the brilliance of the car.

If you're not an Alfisti at heart, voluntary or not, the car will never really make sense.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts