Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm sure 4Canada remembers this... When he joined the forum he and I got into a little spat about what the point of the 4C was. My view was that the car was made as a "reward" for Alfisti who'd lived and breathed Alfa Romeo their entire lives. And when I took delivery of mine I was even more convinced. It was nowhere near perfect, but felt perfect for me.
The fact that it has ended up bringing a bunch of "newbies" to the fold says more about the fact that you "newbies" were all actually closet Alfisti, than the brilliance of the car.

If you're not an Alfisti at heart, voluntary or not, the car will never really make sense.
Actually I'm not an alfisti but I absolutely love this car.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
43 Posts
I'm sure 4Canada remembers this... When he joined the forum he and I got into a little spat about what the point of the 4C was. My view was that the car was made as a "reward" for Alfisti who'd lived and breathed Alfa Romeo their entire lives. And when I took delivery of mine I was even more convinced. It was nowhere near perfect, but felt perfect for me.
The fact that it has ended up bringing a bunch of "newbies" to the fold says more about the fact that you "newbies" were all actually closet Alfisti, than the brilliance of the car.

If you're not an Alfisti at heart, voluntary or not, the car will never really make sense.
I have always been a Porsche fan, and Ferdinand Porsche made famous the quote, “I couldn’t find the car of my dreams so I built it myself”. Well... Porsche has drifted too far from his vision for the brand. I bought a 4C because it is more in keeping with those ideals—“I couldn’t find the Porsche of my dreams so I bought an Alfa Romeo”🙂 Maybe I was an Alfisti at heart, maybe not, but I had to have this car and I still believe it stands on its own merits. I would have bought this car with any other badge on the nose.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Guys sorry to be pedantic, but 'alfisti' is plural. You don't say "I am/was an alfisti". The singular is 'alfista' with an a at the end.
Thought I had them all right, but see that my last sentence should have been alfista and not alfisti. I shall strap myself to the rack and receive the 5 lashes without complaint.

·
Super Moderator
14,698 Posts
Thought I had them all right, but see that my last sentence should have been alfista and not alfisti. I shall strap myself to the rack and receive the 5 lashes without complaint.
No need, but next time somebody types the name for the flat white paint wrong, they get a bye. Fair deal? :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’ve owned my 4C Spider for 12 months/6,000 miles now and I remain convinced it is the most engaging car I’ve ever driven. I learned to drive a manual transmission on my father’s 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS, and though a fun car, it pales in comparison to the 4C Spider. Tonight, I took delivery of Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet, tuned to over 500hp, and though a technically superior car, still not as engaging as a 4C. Eventually, it will be appreciated for what it is. It is too great of vehicle not to be.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,056 Posts
I’ve owned my 4C Spider for 12 months/6,000 miles now and I remain convinced it is the most engaging car I’ve ever driven. I learned to drive a manual transmission on my father’s 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS, and though a fun car, it pales in comparison to the 4C Spider. Tonight, I took delivery of Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet, tuned to over 500hp, and though a technically superior car, still not as engaging as a 4C. Eventually, it will be appreciated for what it is. It is too great of vehicle not to be.
I think you are preaching to the choir as it were ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the moral of the story here is that the Alfa, like any love, is quite flawed.

TBH, I think defending the Alfa's design faults is akin to hero worship. It's a bit like backing a certain President's every move when his actions are at complete odds to his words. I don't mind if you love him, but just be clear what he does badly while discussing what he does well, that way i know you are worth listening to.

The fact we start all conversations about the 4C with "It's great once you fix the steering" should make that clear enough. We can't blame the average buyer or journo for faulting the car as we know ourselves it has many faults.

They are also not assessing what the car could be, they are just interested in the product Alfa deliver, which is sadly one which was very much underdone vs the competition.
The truth is the average buyer does not want to stuff around with a sports car and they don't want something as hard edged. They don't want to fix the steering, they don't want to clear fault codes, they just want to get in and drive and I think that is very reasonable.

I popped the bonnet on my Golf R the other day and chuckled, it had gathered a lot of dust as I drive on a few gravel roads so was very dirty. I realised in the 5000km since I have bought it I have never had the bonnet up - last time was the day I bought it.
The Alfa? I reckon in less than 1000 km I have had the bonnet (boot) up at least 10 times, maybe 20. Checking why I have no voltage, resetting the battery, pulling out the ECU, checking fluid levels etc.

It's an enthusiasts car and we shouldn't be surprised it gets a lot of criticism, in standard form its deserved. For those that hang onto one and persevere, we are mostly happy, but I think its we that are abnormal, not the "average" person who is left unsatisfied when testing / driving one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"That lives on a higher plane of shoulder sagging dismay where only dogs can truly hear how disappointed evo's road testers were."

High praise indeed.

Well, since only dog's could hear the disappointment, I guess the rest of us went forward with our purchases, as we were seemingly unable to hear the warnings (or is that whining?) of Evo's esteemed "road testers" over the sound of that sub 4 second 4 banger. Ah yes, the automotive journalist. True to their motto, "The bigger the ad, the better the column inches."

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
105 Posts
The Alfa? I reckon in less than 1000 km I have had the bonnet (boot) up at least 10 times, maybe 20. Checking why I have no voltage, resetting the battery, pulling out the ECU, checking fluid levels etc.
Whilst I'm not hungry for fault codes to start appearing, one of the joys of a part time, fun driver, car for me is the need to tinker with it. My daily driver serves the "get in, turn key, drive" aspect quite nicely.

I have just been in my garage with the 4c doing nothing in particular, but just being in a good place. I was trying to figure out how to store a few more things in it - there is loads of room under the dash on the passenger side but I can't see an obvious mount to attach anything to. There is also the shelf in the engine compartment, just begging for some sort of storage locker for the puncture repair kit and warning triangle. If one of our enterprising designer suppliers can come up with something for these places I will be all over it. And happy to pay what it takes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I was reading something today on Pistonheads where an 8C owner responded to a negative comment re the driving experience of the 8C and I quote;

"Clearly I am biased but don't agree with this....
The experience is way above what you get in cars that maybe drive 'better'
Plenty modern stuff which is so fast and so competent that it leaves me cold. This is a memorable event whenever you are out in it"

Re the 4C, and apparently the 8C, that says it all really!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see so many similarities between the first generation NSX and the 4C. When the NSX first came out in the early 90s, media dismissed it as a "wannabe-Ferrari". It wasn't until 7 years that people started appreciating just what an amazing car the NSX is (and its value more than doubled over the last 5 years).

So many people I meet that talk negatively about the 4C have never driven one. In fact, most of them have never even seen one in person - and when they do, they comment on how wide the car is in person, how loud the sound is, etc. Many automobile journalists/bloggers have barely spent a few hours with the 4C, and come with a preconceived notion that all great sports cars should drive like 911s and Caymans...

The 4C is one of those cars you either get it or don't get it. And eventually, someday, people will suddenly realize just how amazing this car is... by then, it will be too expensive to buy one used.

I have owned 40+ sports cars, and the 4C is definitely one of the most exceptional, special cars I have ever had regardless of the price. I am just so grateful that I get to own this masterpiece.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts