Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2016 Rosso Alfa Coupe
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for anyone on this side of Michigan.

I was just politely turned away from the dealership in Grandville, MI for an appointment for Timing Belt, Chassis Bolt Tightening Service, oil change, brake fluid flush. The regular service manager has recently departed and so has their only factory trained 4C technician. The new service manager informed me that he didn't feel confident that they had someone that would be able to service the car for anything more involved than an oil change. "We don't have the tech to work on something that old." (mine is a 2016 馃ぃ)
Honestly, I appreciate them telling me instead of taking in the car and doing a poor job. For dealer 4C service, that leaves us in West Michigan with Chicago or Detroit, at least for the short term. I suppose they may have more experience in the future, but for now it looks pretty dim. There was a Yellow spider there in September ( when I made the appointment ) so I suspect this is a staffing / manpower issue.

I'm comfortable performing the maintenance on my own, just was willing to pay to have the first major service from a dealership to show up in Carfax, etc. Gives me the excuse to have a lift installed.

Not trying to cause problems with the dealer, just giving an FYI to anyone else in the area to make other plans, at least for now.

Registered

I was just politely turned away from the dealership in Grandville, MI for an appointment for Timing Belt, Chassis Bolt Tightening Service, oil change, brake fluid flush. The regular service manager has recently departed and so has their only factory trained 4C technician. The new service manager informed me that he didn't feel confident that they had someone that would be able to service the car for anything more involved than an oil change. "We don't have the tech to work on something that old." (mine is a 2016 馃ぃ)
Honestly, I appreciate them telling me instead of taking in the car and doing a poor job. For dealer 4C service, that leaves us in West Michigan with Chicago or Detroit, at least for the short term. I suppose they may have more experience in the future, but for now it looks pretty dim. There was a Yellow spider there in September ( when I made the appointment ) so I suspect this is a staffing / manpower issue.

I'm comfortable performing the maintenance on my own, just was willing to pay to have the first major service from a dealership to show up in Carfax, etc. Gives me the excuse to have a lift installed.

Not trying to cause problems with the dealer, just giving an FYI to anyone else in the area to make other plans, at least for now.
I find it very odd that you cannot have your Alfa-Romeo serviced at an Alfa-Romeo dealership. What??? Well, at least they are being honest with you in that they are not qualified to do the work. My 4C has been serviced at two different dealers and they both had 4C trained mechanics. One in Ohio and one in Michigan.

Registered
I find it very odd that you cannot have your Alfa-Romeo serviced at an Alfa-Romeo dealership. What???
It happens with a lot of low volume cars. I had a '93 Mazda RX-7 back in the day and dealerships wouldn't touch it.

@MOWOG1961 see if there are any specialty shops around who service exotics like McLarens. I named McLarens as they also have carbon fiber tubs so they will understand the maintenance needed.

Registered
2016 Rosso Alfa Coupe
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find it very odd that you cannot have your Alfa-Romeo serviced at an Alfa-Romeo dealership. What???
I was glad they told me they lost the technician I asked about. The service manager went out and looked at the car and probably figured I was too particular to get / keep as a customer without it being a pain. I'd rather they pass than get the car back and have something damaged or wrong. I'm totally not trying to bad mouth the dealer. I can see where its a bad business move to expend effort to be ready to service one of a few cars that get infrequent use.

@Mahjik Thanks for the advice. I'm comfortable working on the car myself. I was more interested to make sure at least the first major service was done by a dealer for appearances sake in the extremely unlikely event I part with the car.

Registered
I wouldn't worry about "having a dealer record of the maintenance". At some point when all of the factory trained techs are gone from the dealers, those looking for buy a 4C will be validating the car has NOT been serviced by a dealer. ;)

Registered
In MARCH 2020, I had the timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, gasket, vacuum pump and water pump done for $1148.00. If you do not want the water pump replaced it would be $200.00 less. It was done by Genesis Alfa-Romeo, on Hall Road in Macomb Twp, Michigan.

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
I'll need my belt done next year and was wondering where a good dealer in the Metro Detroit area was. Thank you. :)
There are two excellent ALFA dealerships in S/E Michigan...the one I use is Genesis which is in Macomb Twp. on Hall Road near Romeo Plank. I bought my 2015 4C LE new from them and have always had them do maintenance. Prices are decent and they have an excellent ALFA trained tech...Ryan. He can do anything required including advanced work such as cam belt service, etc. and up to full engine/trans removal. There are quite a few ALFAs in the Shelby/Macomb area and Genesis is one of the highest sales producing dealerships in the US. Mention my name....Bob Berta if you use them. I use Genesis as it is just down the street from my house....but the other dealership...Golling in Birmingham is also top rated and also a top seller. Many AROC Detroit Chapter club members use both dealers with satisfaction. We also have some choices of independents that work on 4Cs. One that my buddy and neighbor recommends (also a Forum member) and has done extensive work on his 4C LE as well as his Exige, Porsche 935, and Caterhams....including extensive mods. They are at 677 S Eton in Birmingham. Phone is 248-645-6300. Ask for Tom Schick.

Premium Member
There are two excellent ALFA dealerships in S/E Michigan...the one I use is Genesis which is in Macomb Twp. on Hall Road near Romeo Plank. I bought my 2015 4C LE new from them and have always had them do maintenance. Prices are decent and they have an excellent ALFA trained tech...Ryan. He can do anything required including advanced work such as cam belt service, etc. and up to full engine/trans removal. There are quite a few ALFAs in the Shelby/Macomb area and Genesis is one of the highest sales producing dealerships in the US. Mention my name....Bob Berta if you use them. I use Genesis as it is just down the street from my house....but the other dealership...Golling in Birmingham is also top rated and also a top seller. Many AROC Detroit Chapter club members use both dealers with satisfaction. We also have some choices of independents that work on 4Cs. One that my buddy and neighbor recommends (also a Forum member) and has done extensive work on his 4C LE as well as his Exige, Porsche 935, and Caterhams....including extensive mods. They are at 677 S Eton in Birmingham. Phone is 248-645-6300. Ask for Tom Schick.
Thanks Bob! I knew I should have just asked you!

Coincidentally enough, we just ordered a new 2022 Jeep from Golling - but the independent sounds awesome as well!

Registered
In MARCH 2020, I had the timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, gasket, vacuum pump and water pump done for $1148.00. If you do not want the water pump replaced it would be $200.00 less. It was done by Genesis Alfa-Romeo, on Hall Road in Macomb Twp, Michigan.
That's who just did mine and prices have gone up. But good service

Registered

I know when time comes, I am the only one taking care of my mechanical issues. I have the OBD2 software and understand the transmission. The engine is a derivative of a 131 2.0 Dual Over Head engine and have a spare one. I got screwed by dealers way too many times. This car was taken to the dealer locally and claimed they did the brakes and never turned the rotors. How do I know, The rotor pad has a big lip at the edge.

Good luck on getting someone you can trust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts