Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

401 - 420 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guys, so what's the consensus on pressures? I ran my stock PZero AR at 26/29 cold and it wore faster in the middle tread so I think that was over inflated. I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport in 205/235 which are slightly wider than the stock PZeros (as has been talked about when switching to Michelins previously, so I think the Goodyear size = Michelin size). I've dropped by 2psi front and rear to 24/27 cold, does that sound about right? Or should I take the car out for an aggressive drive, and adjust the warm pressures down to 26/29 and then leave it. I'm talking about pressures for road, not track here.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Guys, so what's the consensus on pressures? I ran my stock PZero AR at 26/29 cold and it wore faster in the middle tread so I think that was over inflated. I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport in 205/235 which are slightly wider than the stock PZeros (as has been talked about when switching to Michelins previously, so I think the Goodyear size = Michelin size). I've dropped by 2psi front and rear to 24/27 cold, does that sound about right? Or should I take the car out for an aggressive drive, and adjust the warm pressures down to 26/29 and then leave it. I'm talking about pressures for road, not track here.
Sure your gauge is trustworthy?

Yes, running the tires very hot will cause it to be overinflated. But on the street it should not be by that much if you started with the door card 26/29 cold.

I drop mine for track use, but haven't had an issue at 26/29 cold on the street. Been through a set of rears (street tires, street use) and don't recall them being oddly worn.

I would think that lowering the pressures on the stock Pirelli's wouldn't improve handling at street temperatures. The 4C is pretty responsive to even small changes, so give it a try, but I'm thinking that they knew what they were doing setting the pressures as they did. That should take into account typical heating cycles. So unless your driving is atypical it shouldn't cause the abnormal wear.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
My stock PZerios were always kept at the cold teperature 26/29 per the door card except for auto crossing. Stock alignment although confirmed correct, did set to 0 front toe in. When replaced tires the rears were even across the tread in wear....fronts still had plenty of tread but replace to match the new Michelin tries. The fronts wore even also. The Michelin are also wearing even.
As 4 Canada suggested...make sure you have an accurate pressure gauge. Get a good dial type that is ONLY covering a pressure range of a bit more than desired pressure. Mine goes up to a max of about 50 as I recall. You can also get gauges that cover a long range....say up to 100# or more. Those wouldn't be as accurate at the low pressures we use. Never rely on gas station gauges or even the type that are incorporated into your air compressor fill tool. I have an expensive one an t reads about 4# off at 29# A good dial gauge is one that has a Bourdin (sp?) mechanism. I have three different brands to cover a wide range of pressures....the Bourdin's have very good accuracy. Avoid the pencil type gauges also. Take pressure when the car tires are cold for daily driver. Track use you will lower pressure so it comes up to correct pressure when hot.....usually about same as the door card recommendation. That being said the 4C is very sensitive to tire pressure so experiment a bit.

Finally you mentioned the wear on the center. How do the edges look....are they showing signs of weird wear such as distorted grooves or more wear on inside vs. outside of tire. That would indicate toe issues or some other issues with alignment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah my gauge is a good dial type and has been verified/calibrated.

Thing is that 26/29 "cold" in Italy is different to 26/29 cold in the middle of winter in the UK. There could be 20 degrees celsius difference in temperature there.

On a track this is easy. Heat up the air in the tyres over some laps and then bring the pressure down and you're doing everything on a single day. On the road when ambient temperatures are changing etc, it's not so easy to be consistent. You'll adjust cold pressures to whatever the temperature is one day and the next day it might be completely different.

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
Yeah my gauge is a good dial type and has been verified/calibrated.

Thing is that 26/29 "cold" in Italy is different to 26/29 cold in the middle of winter in the UK. There could be 20 degrees celsius difference in temperature there.

On a track this is easy. Heat up the air in the tyres over some laps and then bring the pressure down and you're doing everything on a single day. On the road when ambient temperatures are changing etc, it's not so easy to be consistent. You'll adjust cold pressures to whatever the temperature is one day and the next day it might be completely different.
I check my pressure before every drive, but if your car is a daily, I can see this as quickly becoming impractical. Wouldn’t it be convenient if those TPMs actually gave a pressure readout. Surely it wouldn’t have been hard to do?

·
Registered
236 Posts
is there a best all season tire for 4C?
not a snow tire just that it still drives in the winter cold temps?
I bought Michelin ps AS+3 and I am happy with them. They are not for racing around, but are nice. Had to upsize one size on the 18-19 rims

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
513 Posts
Folks, thoughts on best out of the following in 225/40R18 and 255/35R19 or perhaps 265 as per comment in another thread. These are on 8 and 9.5 “ wheels, not stock.

At present I’m looking at Yoko AD08, Michelin Cup 2 or Michelin Super Sport. Unfortunately 4S not available in 225/40R18 here. Unfortunately AD08 is non R version here. I don’t track so Cup 2 wouldn’t be good choice for wear and wet weather. That leaves MSS which while good is hardly cutting edge, or best anymore. I might look at RE71R but any other suggestions? How are Conti 5s?

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
Folks, thoughts on best out of the following in 225/40R18 and 255/35R19 or perhaps 265 as per comment in another thread. These are on 8 and 9.5 “ wheels, not stock.

At present I’m looking at Yoko AD08, Michelin Cup 2 or Michelin Super Sport. Unfortunately 4S not available in 225/40R18 here. Unfortunately AD08 is non R version here. I don’t track so Cup 2 wouldn’t be good choice for wear and wet weather. That leaves MSS which while good is hardly cutting edge, or best anymore. I might look at RE71R but any other suggestions? How are Conti 5s?
Hi Chimera, I’ve run Conti 5’s for a few years until recently on my 147. Good in the wet but soft and I got no more than 2 years and 20,000km out of a set of fronts. I’ve changed to Michelin PS4 tyres and find them more sophisticated. Quieter, smoother riding and with plenty of grip. The softer, more compliant nature of the Michelin’s might be a reason why some didn’t like them coming from Pirellis. I digress, that’s why I’d go for Michelin Pilot Supersports if you can. Just an all round more sophisticated tyre than those track focused ones. Those track focused ones are noisy to the point of seeming like you’ve got stuffed wheel bearings, at least that’s what my Hankooks sound like. The Supersports will have plenty of grip and be a generally more rounded Tyre, pardon the pun. I think the RE71R’s would melt in our summer temps.
We can’t get Conti Extreme sports over here, which is typical of the disdain Euro tyre importers have for this market.
Have you looked at the sport version of the new P-Zero, the PZ4 Sport, not Touring?

·
Registered
630 Posts
is there a best all season tire for 4C?
not a snow tire just that it still drives in the winter cold temps?
I think the Kumho Ecsta PA51 is a great high performance all season tire. It is the next generation of the 4X/KU22 that I had and was very happy with that tire.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I am not sure if the Continental Extreme Contact Sports come in those sizes but I am still loving mine. They have proven to still be good Even in 30F temps

·
Registered
668 Posts

i've had few sets of 225/40R18 and 255/35R19 Michelins of stock wheels - rears PS4S fronts PSS.
For me they were great both on street and on track.
Also their thread life is crazy long.
For street you'll struggle to find better tire.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
I check my pressure before every drive, but if your car is a daily, I can see this as quickly becoming impractical. Wouldn’t it be convenient if those TPMs actually gave a pressure readout. Surely it wouldn’t have been hard to do?
Agreed......one of my other cars is a 2018 GMC Acadia Denali SUV. It has pressure readout that is very accurate on each tire. I can use the dash info display to show the pressure at each tire.....or log in via an app on my cell phone to check it remotely. If a tire loses pressure it will aIso alert me as the 4C does. I also get an analysis report from GM occasionally on email that gives lots of diagnostic info including the tire pressures when cold. That information is useful and a good use of technology.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For my 17/18s I am going to try the Hankook RS4s next. Supposed to be really close to RE-71Rs for performance and last 4 times as long.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
For my 17/18s I am going to try the Hankook RS4s next. Supposed to be really close to RE-71Rs for performance and last 4 times as long.

Jeff
They are good but noisy. If that doesn’t bother you at all they are an excellent choice. They are excellent value, being relatively cheap, at least they are here in Oz. Masses more grip than those Pirellis. I’m putting mine back on soon for a track afternoon at the start of next month.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
821 Posts
Agreed......one of my other cars is a 2018 GMC Acadia Denali SUV. It has pressure readout that is very accurate on each tire. I can use the dash info display to show the pressure at each tire...
Even my 2016 Abarth 500 has pressure readout for each tire. Wish there was a way to "alter" our display to show actual pressure and not "OK".

·
Registered
307 Posts

As alfanut said, PS4 is my tip. Great tire for our car, but not saying a better does not exist. I had the Pirellis before PS4, that was night and day, both in the dry and especially in the wet. Have not tested the other brands/types commonly mentioned on my 4C, but have Goodyear Asymmetric 3 at my other two cars, they are great, but does not excel in the wet.

If you dont track, its a fair chance that PS4 is a better option compared PS4S, but have not tested PS4S. And PS4 was actually good enough to have a nice time at a trackday as well, big surprise for me, but it should be mentioned it was a cool day.

401 - 420 of 456 Posts