Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
421 - 440 of 499 Posts
Ok follow up question as it appears PSS is available in 225/35R18 and 265/30R19, sidewall 79mm vs stock 81mm. Can anyone see any issue with this combo on 8” and 9.5” wheels? To clarify this is one profile size down from stock (40->35, 35->30) but the wider rims means it’s almost exactly the same sidewall. Has anyone done this?

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R: I have loved these tires on other cars, and I love them even more on my 4C. I’m running 225/45/17 and 255/40/18. Tremendous grip, it has really mitigated the tendency to understeer (especially on fast sweepers or when you go to power too soon). They are really predictable at the limit and those limits are high. Ride quality is actually pretty good, but these are notoriously noisy tires. Even with the wider contact patch these tires have reduced steering effort compared to the Pirellis.

They aren’t cheap, and as a 200 UTQG tire they won’t last a real long time—and they are strictly a summer tire—and they aren’t known to be great with standing water... but... if you live in a warm and dry climate and you want the most performance you can get from a street tire, check the RE-71R’s out.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R: I have loved these tires on other cars, and I love them even more on my 4C. I’m running 225/45/17 and 255/40/18. Tremendous grip, it has really mitigated the tendency to understeer (especially on fast sweepers or when you go to power too soon). They are really predictable at the limit and those limits are high. Ride quality is actually pretty good, but these are notoriously noisy tires. Even with the wider contact patch these tires have reduced steering effort compared to the Pirellis.

They aren’t cheap, and as a 200 UTOQ tire they won’t last a real long time—and they are strictly a summer tire—and they aren’t known to be great with standing water... but... if you live in a warm and dry climate and you want the most performance you can get from a street tire, check the RE-71R’s out.
I’ve gone through 3 sets of them on track and just bought a 4th.
My only complaint is that after 6 hard laps of my relatively short home track, they go away noticeably. One cool-down lap and they are ready to fight again, but if you are canyon carving and they give up for heat, you might have a few sphincter-puckering moments!

Not brilliant in the wet, as you said. New, they are not bad, but once worn they get worse on water as one would expect.

I think that they are faster than Hankook R4S (I’m told by about a second by those in the know, on our local road course), but will not last as long.

I’ve gone through 3 sets of them on track and just bought a 4th.
My only complaint is that after 6 hard laps of my relatively short home track, they go away noticeably. One cool-down lap and they are ready to fight again, but if you are canyon carving and they give up for heat, you might have a few sphincter-puckering moments!

Not brilliant in the wet, as you said. New, they are not bad, but once worn they get worse on water as one would expect.

I think that they are faster than Hankook R4S (I’m told by about a second by those in the know, on our local road course), but will not last as long.
They are kind of the official tire of mid-engine Porsche autocross racers (at PCA events every Boxster/Cayman is shod with these)—probably preferred for autocross because they do heat up quick. RE-71’s also come in a lot of size options. I just got some wider wheels (17x7.5, 18x8.5) and I am kind of pushing it on tread width—they’re pretty square.

I’m really curious about the Falken RT-660’s. Really similar tread design, and they tested really well with Grassroots Motorsports. Could be an interesting lower-cost replacement for people that go through a lot of tires. I do an occasional autocross and very few track days, so I use up far fewer tires than you do🙂

Michelin pilot sport 3

Just fitted these in place of the Pirrelli's on my 17/18 inch set of rims in the standard size 205/45R17 84W and 235/40R18 95W.

Both tires felt slightly lighter in construction than the Pirrelli's
Definitely a wider contact patch or squarer profile than the Pirrelli
Steering feel was lighter in effort and more crisp on turn-in
Overall grip feel better than the Pirrelli's but then again this is comparing old with new tires.
Road noise and comfort are the single biggest noticeable difference, particularly at highway speeds
I bought these in Sydney for $944 for the set fitted and balanced which is very good value for such a high performance tire.
I have these after the OEM, and can second all point minus road noise (I have none, so maybe alignment?). The value is immense and track times aren't off a second or two versus "almost R's", also very good in the wet, total control... Close to dry performance when under mid-10ths driving. I recommend for daily driving in wetter climes.

Have ordered michellin super sports front and rear
Family friend owns a tyre shop

Gotta say the price is red hot

215/40 r18
245/35 r19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m a new owner with 18/19 wheels and OEM Zero tyres but find the low profile makes for a bumpy ride.
Does the raised sidewall of 215/245 help to lessen this problem?

I’m a new owner with 18/19 wheels and OEM Zero tyres but find the low profile makes for a bumpy ride.
Does the raised sidewall of 215/245 help to lessen this problem?
It does a bit...also tramming is greatly improved. The PZeros are stretched and have stiff side walls...and that equates with a bit harsher ride. The stock choice would normally mean a bit better handling car (more responsive) but in our case I would say it doesn't work out that way. Going from stock PZeros to Michelin PSS 245/215 with same aspect ratio as stock and no other changes was a dramatic improvement for me. The overall tire diameter increase with my choice was very small....about 1/4" taller so pretty much negligible. Some have gone to a lower profile tire than stock at same time as getting a wider tire. That would results in at least the same or lower diameter tire as stock.I would ask for others comments on going that route....but since you mentioned the bumpy ride....that would remain and if anything be even a bit worse. Going lower also increases the issue of ground clearance (scraping).

It does a bit...also tramming is greatly improved. The PZeros are stretched and have stiff side walls...and that equates with a bit harsher ride. The stock choice would normally mean a bit better handling car (more responsive) but in our case I would say it doesn't work out that way. Going from stock PZeros to Michelin PSS 245/215 with same aspect ratio as stock and no other changes was a dramatic improvement for me. The overall tire diameter increase with my choice was very small....about 1/4" taller so pretty much negligible. Some have gone to a lower profile tire than stock at same time as getting a wider tire. That would results in at least the same or lower diameter tire as stock.I would ask for others comments on going that route....but since you mentioned the bumpy ride....that would remain and if anything be even a bit worse. Going lower also increases the issue of ground clearance (scraping).
Thanks for your response-most grateful! My motoring is purely road never track.
I’m having a geo check tomorrow at my Lotus dealer friend so it’ll be interesting to see how accurately AR set the car up.

Some have gone to a lower profile tire than stock at same time as getting a wider tire. That would results in at least the same or lower diameter tire as stock.I would ask for others comments on going that route....but since you mentioned the bumpy ride....that would remain and if anything be even a bit worse. Going lower also increases the issue of ground clearance (scraping).
Yeah i did this and the ride is a lot firmer- some would even call it harsh. So much so that I think it’s at least partially down to the change in tyre from PZero to Michelin PSS. The PSS sidewall and tread even looks “harder” and less compliant. The PZeros look somehow squishier.

Follow up on my PSS (225/35R18 and 265/30R19). I’ve had them for 6 months now and I’ve decided I just don’t like them. The ride is harsh, they look and feel brittle and don’t really grip very well, always feels greasy rather than grippy. I’ve even had the rear end break traction unexpectedly on a perfectly dry day. Remember this is 265. Heating them up doesn’t seem to help at all either. Maybe they might last longer than an R spec tyre but I don’t think it’s worth it. I might try Cup2 next time but more likely go back to Yokos Advan AD08s or similar. Even the dreaded PZeros at least felt compliant and grippy.
Hi Chimera, have you experimented with dropping the pressures a couple of PSI front and rear? Maybe that would soften things up a little.
If I could remember where to find it, someone posted the address of a website that calculated the adjustment of pressures from standard required when increasing tyre width.

Follow up on my PSS (225/35R18 and 265/30R19). I’ve had them for 6 months now and I’ve decided I just don’t like them. The ride is harsh, they look and feel brittle and don’t really grip very well, always feels greasy rather than grippy. I’ve even had the rear end break traction unexpectedly on a perfectly dry day. Remember this is 265. Heating them up doesn’t seem to help at all either. Maybe they might last longer than an R spec tyre but I don’t think it’s worth it. I might try Cup2 next time but more likely go back to Yokos Advan AD08s or similar. Even the dreaded PZeros at least felt compliant and grippy.
Chimera, I found a tyre pressure calculator you might like to try....
Tire Pressure Calculator

421 - 440 of 499 Posts