Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

441 - 456 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I installed new tires yesterday. I got 21,000 miles out of the original P-Zeros. The rears were danger thin, but...

I wanted a longer lasting tire without sacrificing much grip. In the 18/19 set there just isn't any choices. So I went up one size. After reviewing the good selection of tires and juggling my compromises, I chose the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

215/40ZR18 (205/40ZR18 OEM) front
245/35ZR19 (235/35ZR19 OEM) rear

I based my decision on many things.

• Weight: lightest in this size.
  • Tread width: widest in this size.
  • Tread wear rating: 300 so it will last longer than 20k without giving up much traction. Besides, as a daily driver I don't drive on that ragged edge. When I do push the canyons, I'm still not on the ragged edge.
  • Price: well, uhm, actually expensive compared to the others.
  • Reviews online and some people I know: it's getting good reviews.

I did my home work and found that the OEM Pirelli P-Zero are small for their size class with a tiny tread width. These Michelin's are large for their size class and I'm going up a size. I was unsure if they would fit, maybe they'll rub the springs. Will I need spacers?

At the tire shop we mounted one front and one rear and did a test fit. All seemed well. It looked and felt like plenty of room. So we mounted the other two and finished the job. With about 50 miles now, all seems good.

I measured the ride height before and after. The larger tires raised the car 3/8 inch. Probably not enough to matter. If I had coil overs, I could lower it back to stock ride height.

I was concerned about speedometer error as well. I used my smart phone GPS to check the speed before and after. With the P-Zeros, it was 2 mph under. Meaning if the speedo showed 60 mph, I was actually doing 58. With the new larger tires, I was 1 mph under. 60 showing is now 59 actual.

I need to let the tires break-in before I can offer more of a review. Part of break-in is waiting for the bead-lube to dry. I don't want to spin the tire on the wheel. I will also need to check the pressure soon as it will drop during break-in. So far I like them.
I have wanted to replace my Pirelli 18/19" with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Looking at the on-line tire suppliers could not find replacements for the 205 fronts. I did not want to go up a size and figured I would have to go to another brand. For the heck of it , went to Costco on-line and found a listing for the 205/40ZR18 Michelin and original size for the rears. Strange that others do not list?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have wanted to replace my Pirelli 18/19" with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S. Looking at the on-line tire suppliers could not find replacements for the 205 fronts. I did not want to go up a size and figured I would have to go to another brand. For the heck of it , went to Costco on-line and found a listing for the 205/40ZR18 Michelin and original size for the rears. Strange that others do not list?
Ignore my post, I was wrong. The tire I found for the 18" fronts is the Pilot Sport 4, not the 4S. Back to the search

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spoke with Michelin today. Asked if I can mix tire types? Pilot Sport 4 S on the rear and Pilot Sport 4 on the fronts?
I got a nonanswer as I figured I would, they would not say yes or no. Left it up to the dealer. Not saying "no" means to me I may give them a try. On paper these two tires are described as similar or the same. For the rears at Costco there are three versions of the "same" tire with three different prices, not real clear from Michelin the differences except for dates and Ford/Mercedes spec? My fronts 205/40ZR18XL, Rears 235/35ZR19XL

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
The two models of the tires are different. I have always avoided mixing tires of different brands AND models. I am surprised that whomever you spoke to said they MIGHT be OK. You did tell them it was for a high performance sports car right..... I have Michelins PSS on mine which are great but they have been replaced with the newer model PS4S and I don't believe they have 205 or 215 for the front yet. A 225 is to large for a 7" width wheel. You may want to consider another brand to get the correct sizing....Continental or Bridgestone have very good competitive tires also. Firestone has a new model high performance Summer tire also that members have used and they like them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I let them know the tires were for an Alfa 4c and they pulled up the specs. for 18/19". They did not say "might". But did not give me a yes or no. I would think that if it was not a good idea I would get a definite "no". I think they are afraid to comment, CYA. The person I spoke with had put me on hold to research with another department. I have found Yokahama and Bridgestone that are a match. My goal is for a quieter softer ride, but my research shows the Michelin will outperform the original Pirrelli's. I don't track the car, also looking for a muffler to quiet it down a bit. The Centerline/MagnaFlow is back-ordered. I love the car, just want to refine it a bit for a 70-year-old.
Original tires only have 7500 miles on them with lots of tread, front like new.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
I let them know the tires were for an Alfa 4c and they pulled up the specs. for 18/19". They did not say "might". But did not give me a yes or no. I would think that if it was not a good idea I would get a definite "no". I think they are afraid to comment, CYA. The person I spoke with had put me on hold to research with another department. I have found Yokahama and Bridgestone that are a match. My goal is for a quieter softer ride, but my research shows the Michelin will outperform the original Pirrelli's. I don't track the car, also looking for a muffler to quiet it down a bit. The Centerline/MagnaFlow is back-ordered. I love the car, just want to refine it a bit for a 70-year-old.
Original tires only have 7500 miles on them with lots of tread, front like new.
You are a youngster compared to me....I am 73 years young. Yes the Michelin will outperform the PZero...but so will the others. The PZeros are decent but older tech now. They were spec'd for the ALFA 4C at design stage a decade ago. Other Pzero's are spec'd for other specific car brands and models so they are not all the same. Tire technology advances quickly. Don't have direct knowledge of the Yokahama, but the Bridgestones are highly recommended as a stickier tire but with a shorter life as a result. Continentals have some very good tires also.....I think they would be good matches to the Michelins performance wise and probably longer lived than the PZero's too. If you got 7500 on the rear stock tires....that is good. Generally most of the rear stock tires get worn out around 8-9 thousand miles. Mine went to about 8000 and that was with 1 or 2 autocrosses. Fronts get about twice the mileage as the rear. Thus far the Michelins look like they will get better life too with the same use.....I am currently at 14,000 and lots of tread still.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are a youngster compared to me....I am 73 years young. Yes the Michelin will outperform the PZero...but so will the others. The PZeros are decent but older tech now. They were spec'd for the ALFA 4C at design stage a decade ago. Other Pzero's are spec'd for other specific car brands and models so they are not all the same. Tire technology advances quickly. Don't have direct knowledge of the Yokahama, but the Bridgestones are highly recommended as a stickier tire but with a shorter life as a result. Continentals have some very good tires also.....I think they would be good matches to the Michelins performance wise and probably longer lived than the PZero's too. If you got 7500 on the rear stock tires....that is good. Generally most of the rear stock tires get worn out around 8-9 thousand miles. Mine went to about 8000 and that was with 1 or 2 autocrosses. Fronts get about twice the mileage as the rear. Thus far the Michelins look like they will get better life too with the same use.....I am currently at 14,000 and lots of tread still.
I figured I may be the oldest on the forum, not the case. Just placed an order for the Michelins from Costco.
I had gone and spoke with them yesterday about there being any problem mounting the "mix". Pilot Sport 4 for the front and Pilot Sport 4 S for the rears, no problem. I will remove tires/wheels at home and bring them to be installed. Costco will warranty road hazard damage for five years. My friend lost two of his tires from rocks on his 4C. He had gotten 20K miles on the Pirrelli's and figure I could have gotten 15K+ if I kept them.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
Make sure you give a review of the mixed combo once you get a few miles on them. ALSO make sure that you don't over inflate them. The 29F/26R would be a maximum as shown on the door plaque. Since the ones you are getting will be a bit larger than stock (more volume), you should drop the pressure front and rear 1 or 2 #. Note that when new they will feel "squirmy" due to more tread than your old worn out tires.....and you need to wear off the mold break compound. Give them a couple of hundred miles or more before evaluating them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
@melloyello and @RKBerta
A fellow, very very fast, owner with mixed 4 and 4S did not have complaints. Think he had 215/245 combo. I think it'll at least be fine.

But it collide with my OCD as well.

As mentioned other places, 18/19" PS4 work excellent, and I'm picky, second time I've been positively surprised by a tire. Even work good on track, at least here in cold Norway. Advan neova AD08(17/18", 205/235) felt different, but not sure it was any faster. Back to back with OEM Pirellis, Advan was much better, so I'm quite sure my feeling should be ballpark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@melloyello and @RKBerta
A fellow, very very fast, owner with mixed 4 and 4S did not have complaints. Think he had 215/245 combo. I think it'll at least be fine.

But it collide with my OCD as well.

As mentioned other places, 18/19" PS4 work excellent, and I'm picky, second time I've been positively surprised by a tire. Even work good on track, at least here in cold Norway. Advan neova AD08(17/18", 205/235) felt different, but not sure it was any faster. Back to back with OEM Pirellis, Advan was much better, so I'm quite sure my feeling should be ballpark.
Today I took my original tires and wheels to Costco to mount new Michelin tires. As I stated before kept original sizes for 18/19". Fronts Pilot Spor 4, rears Pilot Sport 4S. Costco list 3 versions of the same size tire for the 4S rears,but tread widths vary. Costco item#1248692 is about 1/2" wider than the Pirelli. Front Pilot Sport 4 Costco # 1382399 is about 7/8" wider tread than the Pirelli.
The height the same, or slightly taller because of the deeper tread? Car is on my 4 post lift and will flush brake fluid while wheels are off. I Will report back after some miles are on the car.
Costco had a difficult time getting the old tires off the rims, they appeared to have modern equipment but still had problems. The new tires slipped right on very easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today I took my original tires and wheels to Costco to mount new Michelin tires. As I stated before kept original sizes for 18/19". Fronts Pilot Spor 4, rears Pilot Sport 4S. Costco list 3 versions of the same size tire for the 4S rears,but tread widths vary. Costco item#1248692 is about 1/2" wider than the Pirelli. Front Pilot Sport 4 Costco # 1382399 is about 7/8" wider tread than the Pirelli.
The height the same, or slightly taller because of the deeper tread? Car is on my 4 post lift and will flush brake fluid while wheels are off. I Will report back after some miles are on the car.
Costco had a difficult time getting the old tires off the rims, they appeared to have modern equipment but still had problems. The new tires slipped right on very easily.
Have put a few miles on the new Michelin tires. As with any new tire, they seem to be a bit quieter and less harsh a ride. The big difference is that I am not having to grasp the steering wheel as tightly, at one point was driving with one hand on the wheel. Something I never did before.
Brake bleeding note: front calipers have TWO bleeders each, I missed one the first round of bleeding.

·
Registered
2015 Rosso Alfa Launch Edition
9 Posts
Hey Everyone, longtime lurker and first-time poster here to ask a question that's left me stumped... I am picking up my new 4C LE this weekend (really excited to be a part of this awesome community) and want to have some new tires put on it before picking it up.

Since I will be driving it during all four seasons (not in snow, but definitely in the cold and wet) I am going to be getting All Season tires. I want to keep the stock wheels, but am looking at the two options below.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
F: 215/40/18
R: 245/35/19
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
R: 255/35/19

I've seen some positive reviews of the Continental DWS's, and have heard a lot about that fitment, but nothing about Michelin in this size and style. I have driven a few cars with Michelin's PSs, and absolutely loved them, so I'm leaning that way, but would love to hear either opinion. Buying from Tire Rack...

·
Registered
2016 Spider
142 Posts
Hey Everyone, longtime lurker and first-time poster here to ask a question that's left me stumped... I am picking up my new 4C LE this weekend (really excited to be a part of this awesome community) and want to have some new tires put on it before picking it up.

Since I will be driving it during all four seasons (not in snow, but definitely in the cold and wet) I am going to be getting All Season tires. I want to keep the stock wheels, but am looking at the two options below.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
R: 245/35/19
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
R: 255/35/19

I've seen some positive reviews of the Continental DWS's, and have heard a lot about that fitment, but nothing about Michelin in this size and style. I have driven a few cars with Michelin's PSs, and absolutely loved them, so I'm leaning that way, but would love to hear either opinion. Buying from Tire Rack...
I see you mentioned no snow, so assuming it will always be above freezing temps which means original or any performance summer tire would handle it. What are the current tires and what is the wear? If they are still decent I would still keep them.
If not planning to track the car or go for fast drives in the canyons then all seasons would be fine and probably will last longer but I would never push a 4C to the limits on all season tires.
The Michelin is probably the most favorite all seasons among the members but I have heard good things about Continentals as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see you mentioned no snow, so assuming it will always be above freezing temps which means original or any performance summer tire would handle it. What are the current tires and what is the wear? If they are still decent I would still keep them.
If not planning to track the car or go for fast drives in the canyons then all seasons would be fine and probably will last longer but I would never push a 4C to the limits on all season tires.
The Michelin is probably the most favorite all seasons among the members but I have heard good things about Continentals as well.
Great question. When I say "no snow" I meant that I won't be driving it when it's actively snowing. Will probably try to keep it off of the roads till they're dry again too, but there's definitely going to be times where I'm in the car and there's still snow and slush on the ground. (I'll definitely drive when it is below freezing on occasion) -- It's currently wearing 6 year old, original P Zero's, and they are exhibiting some signs of dry rotting.

Currently, no plans to track it - spirited driving around town, mainly. Have heard overall positive things about both tires, but my main concern with the Michelin is the rear fitment, since I have heard mixed things about running a 255 section tire in the back.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Great question. When I say "no snow" I meant that I won't be driving it when it's actively snowing. Will probably try to keep it off of the roads till they're dry again too, but there's definitely going to be times where I'm in the car and there's still snow and slush on the ground. (I'll definitely drive when it is below freezing on occasion) -- It's currently wearing 6 year old, original P Zero's, and they are exhibiting some signs of dry rotting.

Currently, no plans to track it - spirited driving around town, mainly. Have heard overall positive things about both tires, but my main concern with the Michelin is the rear fitment, since I have heard mixed things about running a 255 section tire in the back.
First welcome out from the shadows and congratulations on your new purchase!!!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand. But I share your concern as to the 255 rears on stock rims. That’s a bit on the wideside for the wheel, although people have done it. This is also a significant difference from rear to front. Conventional wisdom would say this would increase understeer. But it!s not likely something you’ll encounter a lot on the street.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First welcome out from the shadows and congratulations on your new purchase!!!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand. But I share your concern as to the 255 rears on stock rims. That’s a bit on the wideside for the wheel, although people have done it. This is also a significant difference from rear to front. Conventional wisdom would say this would increase understeer. But it!s not likely something you’ll encounter a lot on the street.
My risk aversion got the better of me, and I ended up going with Continental. Picking the car up this weekend and will update after I've broken them in!

441 - 456 of 456 Posts