Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard y'day that a 4C went off at the right hand bend before the chicane last week at Goodwood. At 130 mph...

Driver was ok but passenger had to be air lifted to hospital. Circuit was shut for 4 hours.

Sounds like the tub saved them? That is one hell of a speed to go into a tyre wall at. Hope both are ok.

Cheers,
Hedge

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
Heard y'day that a 4C went off at the right hand bend before the chicane last week at Goodwood. At 130 mph...

Driver was ok but passenger had to be air lifted to hospital. Circuit was shut for 4 hours.

Sounds like the tub saved them? That is one hell of a speed to go into a tyre wall at. Hope both are ok.

Cheers,
Hedge
Hope everyone is OK/recovers without complications. That’s one fast track. It ended Stirling Moss’ serious racing career too. I wonder if it was the same curve?

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
Isn't that the second 4C to crash here, then?
I seem to recall one back about 4 years ago, that went straight into the straw bales at Goodwood.

Hope all are OK

EDIT: First one was in 2014 - I found a thread referring to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
Here's the earlier crash. Understeer is not your friend.

Actually, looking online, I don't see anything about a recent accident. Wonder if this thread is old news?

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
That didn’t look like understeer. The wheels were straight with the body.
At impact, yes, but before he left the track not. At that point I suspect he just did whatever he could do to slow the car and lessen the damage - if he didn't have the traction on asphalt, he would never have been able to turn on grass.

Edit - looks like he trail braked through the right hander, and when he lifted off the brakes after that, he screwed himself.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Literally the way I went off-roading... twice.... it just doesn't turn when you suddenly and massively overload the fronts and need brakes. Maybe a few degrees.... but come in hot like that and you just brake because turning ain't gonna happen. Quite frankly, straight is best anyway to get some braking... whatever you can. The whole car is loaded onto two hockey pucks (what was the temp at Goodwood?) that are dead on arrival. You brake because it's all ya got.

Pirellis are D-E-A-D below 60f /15c

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
157 Posts
I'm glad I didn't see this thread earlier. I had a fantastic day yesterday at Goodwood, driving my S4 at the ClassicAlfa track day event.
There was lots of track time, and a good friendly bunch of folk in a variety of 105/115 series, plus some 101 series cars and Alfettas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts