Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very cloce to purchasing my 4c. I tend to use my money wisely and not spend my money on assets that will greatly depreciate in the long run. My other "toy" cars reflects that mentality. With that said...

What do you guys think in terms of depreciation on the 4c? It's a relatively new car and it depreciated almost $20k in just few years. I tend to think that it will follow Lotus Elise value trend and stabilize in low $30's in say 3-5 years and stay that way for years to come. With it having the italian flavor and carbon tub I feel like it might have a tiny bit of edge over Lotus but what is your take on this matter? Where do you think majority of 4C will be priced at in a long run, say 10-15 years from now?

IIt's always nice to have a piece of mind knowing that it's money spent wisely in case of emergency or when it's time for a change. Think buying a new Corvette as a polar opposite.

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
Buying a 4C isn’t a ‘careful with money‘ choice. Mechanically it’s solid but some body parts are very expensive. Insurance isn’t cheap but a lot better than you might expect. Don’t crash it either. Good ones will always fetch a premium but it won’t be too difficult to tart one up if it becomes tatty with use.

No idea with values but my guess is those in the know realise what a gem of a car it is. There have been a few articles about the 4C in our SMH online newspaper Drive supplement and I‘ve spent a little time with the know-all trolls, responding to their derisory comments about our cars. Someone had to do it. The point is there’s lots of negativity out there which will persist if owners don’t stand up to it. Value is all about perception. It may increase sooner than you think after the initial depreciation period now that production has ceased.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cheapest 4C I saw a really high mileage (75k+) one go for $28k in California. Most I've seen for sale don't last at mid-high 30's.

I recently bought a modified LE from a forum member, and I'm betting 4C's stay above mid 30's for clean examples. Exotic, low production volume, CF tub, etc. There is nothing else really like it on the road at this price point.

That being said, I bought it for my enjoyment and not for the next owner -- I have no problem stacking miles on mine. :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
With the low volume of sales, unique features such as Carbon tub and the fact that it's so different. Not to mention the timeless shape. It's hard not to imagine the 4C could in 10-15 years be very sought after. Over an even longer period they could go crazy !!! Just look what Ferrari Dino's fetch now. I know there are 4Cs that dealers can't shift, but there were original AC cobras in the 1980s that you could buy for under £10k, Old porsche turbos were cheap in the 90's, and i nearly bought a Lamborghini Contach in 2000 for £35k. My old Lotus Elan S4SE would be £35-£40k now and i bought that for £1350.00. My bet is the 4C will not drop much below current prices and then start climbing. Also as Alfa stopped making Coupes first, they may be more sought after than Spiders. Well they do look better !!!!! (And that's what i have Of Course.)
The other consideration is that with the advent of the electric car, a lot of fossil fuel cars will disappear and only the special ones will be kept ? That will have some future effect for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a mid to long term investment I would give the 4C some potential and in Europe it is already now difficult to find well equipped cars below 50 kEuro.
A case of emergency should never be covered by a car imho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is an easy question ... the best time to buy a 4C is now in the past (about 6 months ago) ... good ones (under 20K miles) bottomed in the low 40's ... higher milage ones (20-50k miles) bottomed in the upper 30's. You may see a really high milage (50-100K) in the mid to low 30's ... but they are usually in rougher condition. The example that went for high 20's was very high milage and had paint issues, worn interior, and had questionable history ... not something very desirable.
Prediction .... these cars will only go up from here! Low production ... swoopy body ... quick ... reliable ... true drivers car ...

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 4C is a rare car mostly due to purposeful limited production and a niche buyer. The tub, exotic looks, and single minded vision for this car add up to future demand. Nice examples will hold their values nicely. Like you ... I usually purchase cars AFTER they have depreciated (usually 1-2 yr old examples). But I bought the 4C NEW and have no regrets. I plan on keeping mine for a LONG time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2016, 13000 miles, low option car (red calipers, leather trim interior)

What would you consider a good deal on this car?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think the 4C will stabilize at a higher price than Lotus because of the carbon tub and a lot less sold than the lotus. I own a lotus Elise too that I purchased a few years ago and my money still there. The 4C will actually appreciate as other makers are making cars that are too computerized and alienates the driver from the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will follow a model that I have my sights on for years and only pick the unusual special ones.
For instance having no desire in a Ferrari f430 but a 430 Scuderia is fascinating.
Typically I buy when they are fully depreciated and beginning to appreciate. I'm a bottom feeder.
Sometimes waiting 20 years. Time is more limited now and I'm not getting any younger.
I work very hard for my money so every sportscar has to be a financial decision first.
This strategy has worked very well so far.
IMO the 4C is such a car and would like to have one NOW but am very patient and curious to see which way the market goes.
Unless I find a great deal immediately.

That said the 4c will assuredly become collectible.
I'm very rarely wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Buying a 4C isn’t a ‘careful with money‘ choice.
I think for a NEW sportscar it IS a careful money choice. Especially with the discounts being offered.
The depreciation will be slow and gradual compared to a Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mclaren, BMW, Mercedes etc which depreciate "Like keys falling out of a Lear jet".
The cars also seem to be quite reliable considering.
In 3 years, after the surge is over, everyone and his monkey will have a C8 and the 4C will still be special and unique.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Retail on a coupe would be about 35K.
For a salvage title car you mean.

Not to be disrespectful but if you bottom feed you get ... well, stuff at the bottom... Do a little digging on the "cheap" cars out there and you will find that there are very, very good reasons they are cheap. And those get very expensive, very quick.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think for a NEW sportscar it IS a careful money choice. Especially with the discounts being offered.
The depreciation will be slow and gradual compared to a Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mclaren, BMW, Mercedes etc which depreciate "Like keys falling out of a Lear jet".
The cars also seem to be quite reliable considering.
In 3 years, after the surge is over, everyone and his monkey will have a C8 and the 4C will still be special and unique.
Agreed. Check out new mercedes prices and prices a few years after... painful.

Have been looking at Certified S550s for a year now and even after 50% depreciation hit for <30k mile beauties the scary things are a) maintenance after warranty period ends and b) knowing they will depreciate another 50% in just a few years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My best buy so far was my 1999 Viper GTS. Picked it up just on time before prices started to climb up. Kinda wish I do the same with the 4c. Watching market very closely lately.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
It is all a guessing game. I buy cars to enjoy and if they become more valuable down the road.....cool....but I am still not selling mine in the near future or even much farther out.

When I watch some of the car auctions on TV and see some nice car that has next to no mileage and ends up selling for far less than what the original owner paid.....all I can think of is.....the owner missed out on a lot of fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frankly, from what I have seen watching the 4C market, used prices are already up from the bottom. Most cars are going between $40-50k after dipping into the 30s. I wouldn't expect them to spike up in value, but high prices for used Lotus Elise/Exige cars helps the 4C market -- and the 4C is arguably more desirable and certainly more rare.

I am not under the delusion that I will be able to get my fully loaded new purchase price back any time soon, but I do plan on keeping the car for a while. If/when I do sell it, it won't be nearly the blood bath of other cars that I have owned.

And yes, do drive it, drive the wheels off of it, because if you want to avoid problems, drive your Alfa regularly. Letting cars just sit leads to all kinds of expensive problems.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts