Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to next 4c drag race. Wonder what kind of mod done on that 4c.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Weird, I thought it would have been the other way round, Audi being 4wd better for standing start and Alfa rear wheel drive better on rolling ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Weird, I thought it would have been the other way round, Audi being 4wd better for standing start and Alfa rear wheel drive better on rolling ?
Yeah same, also the weight advantage I thought would be in the 4C's favour on the rolling start.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Strange results.
It happens that I own an alfa 4c (with 270 bhp) and I raced against an rs3. We only tried from rolling but the alfa was faster and it actually was better on the engine response and initial acceleration. Probably in the video the alfa started in second gear from a very low speed or something like that.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The guy talks about launch control, but he is in Dynamic Auto. No launch control used, assuming the IP video is real time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
RS3 was one of the cars on my short list before I bought the 4C. It's practical, comfortable and fast but has zero personality. It looks good on paper and makes a lot of sense for the Canadian winter but I chose to have the 4C and a winter car instead. At the end of the day, it's another muscle sedan that tries to make you believe it's sports car, and I didn't really care if the 4C was slower in terms of 0 to 60!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The guy talks about launch control, but he is in Dynamic Auto. No launch control used, assuming the IP video is real time.
Dynamic mode will limit “launch control” to 3500 RPM. Whether you want to call that true launch control or not, some find it much easier to get traction than the full 6000 RPM Race Mode launch control.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That's not launch control. There is only one launch control and it is in Race mode.

What you are describing is simply the dual clutch equivalent of brake torqueing with a torque converter automatic or dumping the clutch with a manual. There is no launch control happening. It's simply engaging the clutch in the power band vs. off idle, with the benefit of having some initial boost.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That's not launch control. There is only one launch control and it is in Race mode.

What you are describing is simply the dual clutch equivalent of brake torqueing with a torque converter automatic or dumping the clutch with a manual. There is no launch control happening. It's simply engaging the clutch in the power band vs. off idle, with the benefit of having some initial boost.
Maybe he was just giving the RS3 a chance. ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

That is exactly why I said "launch control" in quotes.

Even in Race mode you could "launch" at 3500 RPM if you so choose, but without the benefit of auto shifting. Some have found the car easier to manage by "launching" at the lower RPM point.

·
Registered
719 Posts
RS3 was quick, a few years ago, but the competition has caught up. Today, it sounds good, but it is not that fast anymore.

If you want a fast Audi for cheap money, it has to be the 2019 / 2020 TT-RS, plus a stage-1 remap, which will get you a 10-second quartermile, as fast as most Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Then don't call it launch control, with or without quotation marks. This is not debatable.

He called it launch control and it wasn't. Basta.

And, launch control will shift for you.
Dude, I’m not tying to get into semantics here.

I’m not debating with you what launch control is. Yes, launch control with this car is done in Race Mode at 6k RPM and it’ll auto shift. You’re right, it’s not debatable.

I was just making a point, which many have come to understand by doing it themselves, that “launching” the car from the initial 3500 RPM limiter before hitting the ‘-‘ paddle, has performed better for them than the full 6k launch.

Call stomping the peddle and letting go the brake whatever the hell you want to call it. If someone finds taking off at 3500 RPM allows them to “control” the “launch” easier than 6k, I really don’t give a shit what they, or you, want to personally call that tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
28 Participants
cipsony
Alfa Romeo 4C Forums
Alfa Romeo 4C Forum - a community for two-seater fans to chat about launch control, turbo upgrades, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing