Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from sunny CA to NorthEast several months ago, and this is my first winter here. My 4Cs have been tucked in the garage since November, and I am going stir crazy!

Anyone in the snow/cold region, what do you do during the winter season to "fix" your 4C craving? Do you have a winter fun car? Do you still take your 4C out for driving when the roads are clear of salt? Do you put snow tires on your 4C?

Spring couldn't come fast enough!

Registered
If I had the money I'd probably have two 4Cs , one for summer and one for winter, would be cool to see how they both faired up after say ..ten years. If they were both in same state of repair then there would be a lot of crying over those lost months of your life when you were itching for a drive 馃馃構

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
I retired from San Francisco to the S/E Michigan area in 2004. I love it here....lots cheaper, people are fantastic, lots to do, and if you are car nut this is car heaven. My 4C goes in hibernation usually from early December to mid February. Where I live there is very little snow....to date I have only had one day this season of snow and it was about 2-3". It does get cold of course but not bad....I am an astronomer and go out year round so am used to cold conditions.
Some do use their 4Cs in winter conditions....you would have to get Winter or all season tires as the regular Summer performance tires would be ruined by the cold....and they would be dangerous also. Ground clearance would be an issue in snow of course. The mid engine should help traction in snow but I have no personal experience.
Bottom line....getting all that dirt and salt on my car would break my heart. I don't even drive my car in rain. Luckily it is my play car and have my other two cars that are better choices for daily driver service.

Registered
I moved from sunny CA to NorthEast several months ago, and this is my first winter here. My 4Cs have been tucked in the garage since November, and I am going stir crazy!

Anyone in the snow/cold region, what do you do during the winter season to "fix" your 4C craving? Do you have a winter fun car? Do you still take your 4C out for driving when the roads are clear of salt? Do you put snow tires on your 4C?

Japanese Whiskey works for me.
Heating the garage helps a little.

Registered
I retired from San Francisco to the S/E Michigan area in 2004. I love it here....lots cheaper, people are fantastic, lots to do, and if you are car nut this is car heaven. My 4C goes in hibernation usually from early December to mid February. Where I live there is very little snow....to date I have only had one day this season of snow and it was about 2-3". It does get cold of course but not bad....I am an astronomer and go out year round so am used to cold conditions.
Some do use their 4Cs in winter conditions....you would have to get Winter or all season tires as the regular Summer performance tires would be ruined by the cold....and they would be dangerous also. Ground clearance would be an issue in snow of course. The mid engine should help traction in snow but I have no personal experience.
Bottom line....getting all that dirt and salt on my car would break my heart. I don't even drive my car in rain. Luckily it is my play car and have my other two cars that are better choices for daily driver service.
After living in Napa, Ca. for 30 years, I returned to Michigan. I will admit that I had forgotten how dam cold it can get here. Right now it is 18 degrees F, tomorrow morning it will go down to 4 degrees. F. If that is not cold, what is? ( "It does get cold, but not bad" ) Are you sure about that? 4 degrees F seems to be pretty cold to me! 馃ザ:eek:
My only conciliation is that my 4C is in a heated garage, so that does at least make me feel a little better, but not much. :)

Registered

I moved to wisconsin From Phoenix about 5 years ago. I still have 2 cars stored in Phoenix because I can鈥檛 stomach the thought of storing them during the winters here. I bought my 4C 6 months ago and this is my first winter with her. I fretted for months about her sitting unused for months in the single digit cold. I鈥檓 still nervous about it and check on her weekly. Meanwhile, I bought a 2004 Land Rover Discovery and I have 2000 Isuzu Rodeo that I鈥檝e had since new, so I鈥榲e done a fair share of off-road snow-driving in the Wisconsin woods. I actually got stuck in a deep ice/water/mud hole with my Discovery last weekend and got pulled out by 4 snowmobiles. It was embarrassing, but better than having to hike a few miles through the muck and back to a main road. Still, I miss Giada. I hope she鈥檚 ok and not too cold. *sigh

Registered
After living in Napa, Ca. for 30 years, I returned to Michigan. I will admit that I had forgotten how dam cold it can get here. Right now it is 18 degrees F, tomorrow morning it will go down to 4 degrees. F. If that is not cold, what is? ( "It does get cold, but not bad" ) Are you sure about that? 4 degrees F seems to be pretty cold to me! 馃ザ:eek:
My only conciliation is that my 4C is in a heated garage, so that does at least make me feel a little better, but not much. :)
18 sounds great!
It鈥檚 currently 1 here and will drop to negative 5 tonite. 馃ぃ

Registered
I didn鈥檛 go as far as a quad, but I did buy a 4Q Giulia. i tried using my 4C a couple of winters ago. There is so much road crud that it was never fun to drive.

Registered
If the roads are salt free, then I drive it. Commit to at least 20 minutes to really heat up that oil.

If you're on summer tires, most are ok to drive above 40f, but most will not exactly be grippy and compliant. Your car will make noises like an old cranky man getting out of bed. On Pirellis, you'll think they've turned to stone for a while.

I generally have another 'go to' car to enjoy. Go ice skating, go skiing, or take a ride to some shore towns in NJ, DE or MD. The vibe at the shore is great in the winter. It's good for the soul. Also 'cold' is overrated. Go hiking. We have so many choices 'round here. If it isn't windy, you'll never really be cold even below freezing if you're doing any basic outside labor.

Have you experienced spring here yet? If not, the first warm days that pop up have another vibe that is hard to explain, as everyone and anyone gets out and about and you feel the local world come to life. Be ready for that.

Hit me up for local guide advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much! I feel much better after hearing how you spend the winter season!

Administrator
You can always just go LOOK at it in the garage.
I actually make excuses to take a walk up to the shop to do that!!!

My fun cars have been put away since the second week of November, and it is coming up on mid January. With luck we'll see driving weather and a few showers to clear the roads by early in April.
So, maybe almost half-way through now? We'll see, as we often get a spring surprise snowfall, too!

Registered
Ali Giallo Prototipo w/ red seats
Winter is the time to knuckle down and address all the 'inside work' you neglected all summer to be outside. No 'Let's go for a Nice getaway cruise' as you would on a beautiful summer day.......... We bitch about the cold all winter long, and then when Spring hits the world comes alive again and we truly appreciate what we missed all winter.

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
I live about a mile from 4C ALFA. I have no problem with very cold weather....just wear appropriate clothes. Being an astronomer I spend many late Winter nights out in below freezing temperatures. I also walk my dog around the block every night around 11:00pm. Like 4C ALFA said....it was 18 degrees at our houses last night and 4 degrees this morning. My wife and I take turns getting our dog up in the morning....this morning it was her turn ;) 馃ザ

Registered
I live about a mile from 4C ALFA. I have no problem with very cold weather....just wear appropriate clothes. Being an astronomer I spend many late Winter nights out in below freezing temperatures. I also walk my dog around the block every night around 11:00pm. Like 4C ALFA said....it was 18 degrees at our houses last night and 4 degrees this morning. My wife and I take turns getting our dog up in the morning....this morning it was her turn ;) 馃ザ
Thank goodness, the temp has now gotten "all" the way up to 35 degrees. :) But what does tomorrow bring?

Registered
There are plenty of winter days where the salt has been washed off and it's OK to go for a drive.

Registered
I moved to wisconsin From Phoenix about 5 years ago. I still have 2 cars stored in Phoenix because I can鈥檛 stomach the thought of storing them during the winters here. I bought my 4C 6 months ago and this is my first winter with her. I fretted for months about her sitting unused for months in the single digit cold. I鈥檓 still nervous about it and check on her weekly. Meanwhile, I bought a 2004 Land Rover Discovery and I have 2000 Isuzu Rodeo that I鈥檝e had since new, so I鈥榲e done a fair share of off-road snow-driving in the Wisconsin woods. I actually got stuck in a deep ice/water/mud hole with my Discovery last weekend and got pulled out by 4 snowmobiles. It was embarrassing, but better than having to hike a few miles through the muck and back to a main road. Still, I miss Giada. I hope she鈥檚 ok and not too cold. *sigh
I have to ask did you name her after the famous Italian chef? If so I am a fan of hers as well and got to meet her at a book signing years ago and she was everything I hoped she would be and more. Not disappointed whatsoever by waiting in line to meet her. In fact I felt had there not been such a huge line we would have talked for several hours - thats the kind of person she is. Anyway love the name choice!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts