Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sacrilege. In a Lotus on the other hand, ideal.

Perhaps if it was Magneti Marrelli rather than Yamaha... but no, it is sacrilege.

·
Registered
387 Posts
you mean t
Sacrilege. In a Lotus on the other hand, ideal.

Perhaps if it was Magneti Marrelli rather than Yamaha... but no, it is sacrilege.
You are referring to the Magneti owned by KKR Calsonic Kansei out of Japan? I would love if Italian cars were totally made of Italian parts, German cars being totally German and Soccer/Football and Hockey teams being national...but in the name of progress they are not ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Amazing. Sign me up, I really really hope the next Elise is BEV or at least Hybrid. Presumably Geely are bringing that to the table.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Of course it is murder! Guilty! The 4c goes against everything that is mainstream. It is lightweight, small, loud, tossable, FUN, communicates to the driver, etc. Make it fat, lose the fun. I'd rather see a 4cNomad long before an EV 4c. Someone sent me a quote he read in a Porsche magazine this month. He wrote,
"Can't Alfa get their own magazine? First article in this month's Porsche magazine, asking for an entry level Porsche, something Porsche has not offered in a while, preferably electric, to appeal to the young, green people.

"...particularly if they can figure out how to make an EV sports car that's actually visceral and angry, rather than uber slick like the Tycan - think electric Alfa Romeo 4C." "

But that's the point! The 4c is fun BECAUSE it's not electric and doesn't weight 4k pounds. As a side note, I am told each month there is an Alfa reference in the Porsche magazines;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
you mean t

You are referring to the Magneti owned by KKR Calsonic Kansei out of Japan? I would love if Italian cars were totally made of Italian parts, German cars being totally German and Soccer/Football and Hockey teams being national...but in the name of progress they are not ;-)
Ok, we go with the Zanussi then or... the 4C EV thats already available!

·
Super Moderator
3,588 Posts
Ok, we go with the Zanussi then or... the 4C EV thats already available!

Hah......I bought one of these kids electric 4Cs for my two grand kids. They love it and it actually is very cool and has lots of neat features. I even contemplated buying another as a novelty to bring to car shows to place next to my 4C. Part of my rational for getting it for the two grand kids is to "brain wash" them on ALFAs.....future real ALFA owners 🤣

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hah......I bought one of these kids electric 4Cs for my two grand kids. They love it and it actually is very cool and has lots of neat features. I even contemplated buying another as a novelty to bring to car shows to place next to my 4C. Part of my rational for getting it for the two grand kids is to "brain wash" them on ALFAs.....future real ALFA owners 🤣
[/QUOT
I suppose I can tell you about my plan to turn one into a caddy for the new pressure washer and car wash kit, without fear of ridicule.

If I can get it follow me about with all the stuff while i blast, AND look like the 4C... overload!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can't read italian. What do you think the power to weight ratio is now? Replacing the engine with electic motors - huge weight savings.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
I can't read italian. What do you think the power to weight ratio is now? Replacing the engine with electic motors - huge weight savings.
Yeah, but THE BATTERIES, my friend. That's where the weight is.
A Giulia Q is no lightweight car at around 1,810Kg, whereas a Tesla Model S P85D weighs close to 2,350Kg (3,980lbs vs 5,170lbs)!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I heard the other day that to replace all the existing fossil burner cars in the UK alone with EVs would require one third of the entire global supply of lithium and most of the worlds neodymium. They will have to reinvent EVs completely before it will ever replace fossil burners. They have to throw all that tesla stuff in the bin and think of how to make motors and batteries from common sand or dirt before we can all have one.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Yes, the world has to ignore the misinformation that Elon Musk is putting out about Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles. Battery technology is expensive, not particularly environmentally friendly when you consider end of life, and uses rare materials.

Fuel Cell has the potential to unlock a much brighter future, except that we need a more efficient way to produce Hydrogen on a huge scale. And store it and move it around safely, but those are smaller nuts than the generation issue for sure.

Meanwhile, battery electric car users are quite smug in that they do have a very (artificially) low cost per mile. Electrical trunk and distribution networks in many regions are at least part government owned - even sometimes generation is. Electric power is subsidized by many governments to at least some degree. Electric users don't pay road tax on their "fuel" (but they still use the roads). And in the near term, as long as distribution and generation capacity can still meet demand, the costs of expansion are not going to be borne by them. But there are only so many rivers to dam and waterfalls to harness. Solar and wind power contributions to the grid are laughable given the amount already invested in them. Coal is taboo in most of the world outside of the US, India and and China (and some smaller and LDC countries). Nuclear power is not cheap, and has its own issues.

What I'm trying to say is, although hydrogen is a much more expensive way to run a car, that is in part because battery powered electric users are getting a free ride (literally) for the moment. That will not last indefinitely.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even if they solved the energy storage part they won't have enough magnets for the motors. Most of the worlds rare earth minerals are in China and Russia. They are keeping prices artificially low to get us in the west hooked on the EV high till we ban fossils and then, EV prices go up, and up...

·
Registered
189 Posts
i find it quite cool... and not blasphemy... the characterof a 4C is not in its engine... compared to classic ala's with a bialbero or busso,
the 1750tbi may be a fine engine, compact, efficient and powerful.. but it lacks the old character..it just does what it should do...(i own both a 4C and 159with the 1750tbi engine)..i looks shitty, just as sexy as my briggs&stratton engine of my lawnmower..

The 4C character is defined by its chassis setup,carbon tub, suspension and power to weight ratio. I dont know what the weight of this electric version will be, but.. as long as thats not messed up...it may be nice... of course it would be better with Magnet Marelli italian stuff instead of the Yamaha ricecookerparts..
Also good to know, if some stupid future will ban gasoline engine.. we can just fix it like this...

·
Registered
146 Posts
i find it quite cool... and not blasphemy... the characterof a 4C is not in its engine... compared to classic ala's with a bialbero or busso,
the 1750tbi may be a fine engine, compact, efficient and powerful.. but it lacks the old character..it just does what it should do...(i own both a 4C and 159with the 1750tbi engine)..i looks shitty, just as sexy as my briggs&stratton engine of my lawnmower..

The 4C character is defined by its chassis setup,carbon tub, suspension and power to weight ratio. I dont know what the weight of this electric version will be, but.. as long as thats not messed up...it may be nice... of course it would be better with Magnet Marelli italian stuff instead of the Yamaha ricecookerparts..
Also good to know, if some stupid future will ban gasoline engine.. we can just fix it like this...
Hans, the historic 1750cc "Cuore sportivo" in our cars is the ONLY significant part of the 4C that is made by Alfa Romeo.
The Carbon is done by Centro stile and the assembly is Maserati.

The engine

The car

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So... where do they put the batteries? I mean the electric motor is in the place of the ICE, so where do the batts go?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts