Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a friend of mine seems to have done it.. these are the pictures of the driver side seat, changed to a Sparco CF one, weight at worse same than the original seat, more support, and 6 point harnesses.. it looks like the cf tub already has the fitting for the 6 points, covered by a plastic tap.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
More info please. I've had my seats out and never saw any mounting points for a racing harness.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you exactly need RacerZ.. The car now is "rebuilt" but I have some pictures of the tub with the seats and rails removed. I do not think the rails are the same as the original.. Upper harnesses are connected to an harness bar that runs from the upper fix points of the standard three points...i'm in the UK until Friday at the moment but I can ask my friend any picture you wish. Also, I will see soon the car (one month) and take more and test. I have no idea if anything changes from the EU to the US tub.. His is an EU LE

·
Registered
157 Posts
The harness bar is the only possibility for a proper fix of the shoulder belts. The shown solution seems not to be ideal because the OEM fixing points are to high and therefore the angle of the belts from shoulder to fixing point is out of the range they should normally be. If you lower the bar because you make it in an U-style I am not sure if it can handle the stress in the case of an accident because you will have a leverage effect caused by the long bar itself and especially by the U-shaped-arms. Please think in the case of an acident with one passenger in the car the bar needs to be able to stand a least 5-10 tons of towing force at a deceleration of up to -100g in peak. With two passengers it is twice as much!

We think we solved this problem with a welded in 50mm aluminium tube into the standard rollcage. Therefore you have to go through the plastic between passenger cabin and engine compartement. We covered the holes to make it as comfortable as it can be but it is still a compromise. At least you hve more room for the belt adjustment and you have the right angle the manufacturers suggest for the belts.

Even building it so safe as we can think of it there still remains a qustion mark because you will find out if it works when you have an accident!

please make sure all these criteria are fullfilled when you build this yourselves. It is about your lives and the ones driving with you. I dont want to see anybody get hurt so please be extra caution and use better a little more material and maybe advice from a physicist to stay on the safe side.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The work has been done by a local company that prepares cars for racing. I have no idea if the bought the harness bar or had it built for the 4c, but i can definitely get the name of the company.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4cracer, any advice is greatly appreciated.. I'm posting because I want to both share the work and get feedback.. We are aware of the lot of things you need to take care when security is involved, a lot if things I can see by myself.. A whole lot not, and I want them to be safe... Harnesses angle is one of the issues I pointed out, and I've been told the angle is ok (I think the value is within the 4 deg (or which one is the value) that is required.. But I do trust up to a certain point and I want to double check. Please note that this is not being built to sell/resell but just for personal use, so if anything seems wrong and you have a solution I'm more than happy if you point out. The problem up to now is that nobody seemed to offer a solution, just a Swiss garage that never answered to my request (possibly because I'm no German speaking and there are some communication issues). If anyone has one, I'd love to know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The work has been done by a local company that prepares cars for racing. I have no idea if the bought the harness bar or had it built for the 4c, but i can definitely get the name of the company.

Okay if it is done by a company that normally builts racecars, then they should know what they are doing! At least I hope so :wink2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
4cracer, any advice is greatly appreciated.. I'm posting because I want to both share the work and get feedback.. We are aware of the lot of things you need to take care when security is involved, a lot if things I can see by myself.. A whole lot not, and I want them to be safe... Harnesses angle is one of the issues I pointed out, and I've been told the angle is ok (I think the value is within the 4 deg (or which one is the value) that is required.. But I do trust up to a certain point and I want to double check. Please note that this is not being built to sell/resell but just for personal use, so if anything seems wrong and you have a solution I'm more than happy if you point out. The problem up to now is that nobody seemed to offer a solution, just a Swiss garage that never answered to my request (possibly because I'm no German speaking and there are some communication issues). If anyone has one, I'd love to know.

We also did this just for our car. I would not dare to offer this to somebody else because even with everything drawn into conclusion I am still not a 100% sure if it will work under all circumstances. And I dont want to be sued with the risk of loosing serious money just because I sold a lets say 1500€ work + parts. I think the guys from switzerland are also afraid of this and therefore wont sell to the USA. But thats just a guess...

If somebody is construction a safety relevant part please always question everything twice as you do, stay critical and ask other experts (scientists) what they think of this. You better dont ask the competitor because he might not be as honest as you wish. A scientist you maybe know will give you an objective answer. If you are good in physics and you have good books about material properties and so on you can also try to check yourself.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
are those the factory seat rails and brackets?
They do not appear to be AR rails in the picture,

What do you exactly need RacerZ.. The car now is "rebuilt" but I have some pictures of the tub with the seats and rails removed. I do not think the rails are the same as the original.. Upper harnesses are connected to an harness bar that runs from the upper fix points of the standard three points...i'm in the UK until Friday at the moment but I can ask my friend any picture you wish. Also, I will see soon the car (one month) and take more and test. I have no idea if anything changes from the EU to the US tub.. His is an EU LE
I'm not sure exactly. I think some of what I was wondering has been answered as the thread moved on.

Perhaps photos of the tub without seats. As I said, I've had my seats out and don't recall seeing any mounting points 'pre-installed'.

When I first got my LE, my brother and I spent a fair amount of time exploring the car and the possibility of racing harness mounts. As mentioned, attaching a bar to the stock roll bar and drilling holes through the firewall seemed to be the only possibility. Drilling holes through the carbon floor and using spreader plates seemed to be the better of two evils. We never did more than talk though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a look tonight in between sessions at the track... There are some raised covers protecting something in mine, I presume bolts are below... Further digging required...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a look tonight in between sessions at the track... There are some raised covers protecting something in mine, I presume bolts are below... Further digging required...

Yes, i think we're are talking about the same thing...
This is the picture of the tub, seats and rails removed. you can see the "minibumps" cover in place... if you remove that you have the bolts available to screw in the "eyes" you need for the belts..

sorry for the delay posting..
And this is the "cover",

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drilling holes through the carbon floor and using spreader plates seemed to be the better of two evils. We never did more than talk though.
Avoid.... drilling after the tub has been cooked is a no no... and you would also not have the metal element inside..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, i think we're are talking about the same thing...
This is the picture of the tub, seats and rails removed. you can see the "minibumps" cover in place... if you remove that you have the bolts available to screw in the "eyes" you need for the belts..

sorry for the delay posting..
And this is the "cover",

Cool...
How do you remove the covers... I presume you take the skid plates off and go from the bottom?

Cheers,
Ap

·
Registered
849 Posts
If anyone reading this thread plans on installing new seats, I'm looking for a set of the black seats with red stitching. Microfiber preferred but beggars can't be choosers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts