Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this forum I was able to locate a 4C in Germany and sit in one before they are even announced in the USA.

So, the 6'2 question: do I fit?

Let me put it this way. If you would blindfold me and have me sit in the 4C without seeing it, I would never consider this car. The seat was all the way back, and reclined to the max (which is very upright by the way) and my head could not touch the headrest without touching the roof. My eye level was on par with the windscreen visors, so leaving very little visibility even looking straight. I needed to bent my head a little, and I could make it work.

Helmet? No room, forget it ... impossible!

Now, I was not blindfolded, so I could see the beautiful red curves, that low, low, low stance and hear that engine roar ... it sounds great by the way.
She is so beautiful, that I even consider living with the headroom restrictions.

So, will I still buy one? To be honest, I do not know anymore. There really is no other car as beautiful as the 4C ( the 8C spyder parked next to it looked big and bloated). There is no comparison ... Porsches look plain, Elises look old. It really is that beautiful. But given the headroom restrictions ... it is an expensive piece of jewelry to wear ... not sure if I am ready to spend $60k on jewelry ....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you sure it is adjusted for your size? As far as I know, there are spacers underneath the seat which can be adjusted for your size to fit. They are manually adjusted, so it is not a quick fix but it should not put you off the car either in my opinion

·
Registered
122 Posts
I may be wrong here (one of the current owners may enlighten us here) but I think the height adjustment is done manually unlike the sliding of the seat for better positioning on the pedals/steering wheel. That's why I am unsure of the extent of your problem.

You shouldn't give up for a fault that can be fixed I think :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Trappist, Jeremy Clarckson fit easily according to him.. And he is 6'3

I suspect the seat might not have been at its lowest setting when you saw the car..

Changing the seat height is a hell of a mission, so perhaps the lady thought the seats couldn't be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
This has me concerned... I guess I need to find a car and see for myself. I've fitted in a Lotus Esprit (for sure not with a helmet though) and a Lamborghini Gallardo so it feels strange if I couldn't get into the 4C.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can only hope that the seat can be adjusted. I will email the dealer when I get home and ask. Will let you know when I get an answer.

BTW. Clarkson also 'fits' in a lotus Elise ... there is no way I could fit in one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The various seats adjustments are explained on page 16 of the User's Manual. It seems that the seat's height is by default in the lowest position.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I find the Elise a mess to get in and out of but when actually being in place I have no problems with it. My plan B to the 4C is an Exige S which I fit just fine inside.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been told that when you get your car, the seat will be adjusted for height, so that it fits you. This operation requires tools. All the other settings should be possible to use when placed in the seat.

The one I tried I was told the seat was all the way down and I could have had a helmet on (180cm). I saw some others trying the car and apart from the guy almost 200cm in height it seemed to work pretty well.

You could try and contact the dealer where you saw the car, to see if they can find out for you.

How was it for reach with the seat all the way back?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm dumbfounded to be honest. I had all the space in the world ?! (1m86). Also I absolutely loved the interior - mainly the view outside forward.

Same plan B as Talinn btw. (I still am not that sure Fiat or the 4C production will survive until I have mine delivered)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I find the Elise a mess to get in and out of but when actually being in place I have no problems with it. My plan B to the 4C is an Exige S which I fit just fine inside.
Much easier to get in and out than an Elise. Although there is a deep cill, it doesn't hamper access like in an Elise. I'm only 178cm but fairly hefty, and had plenty of room inside

·
Registered
163 Posts
There appear to be three seating heights that can be adjusted. Mine came on lowest, I'm 182 and have a fair amount of room over my head. Agree that backrest is rather straight in furthest back position (which is where I keep it) but driving position is very good. Only complaint us lack of lateral supports but I think that would have made getting in and out more complicated.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There appear to be three seating heights that can be adjusted. Mine came on lowest, I'm 182 and have a fair amount of room over my head. Agree that backrest is rather straight in furthest back position (which is where I keep it) but driving position is very good. Only complaint us lack of lateral supports but I think that would have made getting in and out more complicated.
Will check with the dealer what seat hight it was at. Anyone out there that can help writing a mail in German? Reading and speaking is ok, but writing is something else...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Will check with the dealer what seat hight it was at. Anyone out there that can help writing a mail in German? Reading and speaking is ok, but writing is something else...
Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Ich durfte letzte Woche freundlicherweise in ihren Alfa 4C sitzen und bedanke mich nochmals bestens für ihre Unterstützung. Ich bin heute noch sehr begeistert und fühle mich glücklich als einer der ersten Amerikaner in einem 4C gesessen zu sein.

Eines meiner Ziele war es zu verstehen ob ich mit meinen 1.90m in das Auto passe. Wie sie auch sehen konnten, war die Kopffreiheit eher knapp und daher möchte ich gerne in Erfahrung bringen, auf welcher Höhenstufe der Fahrersitz eingestellt war. Anscheinend gibt es 3 verschiedene Höhenstufen welche mittels Werkzeug eingestellt werden können.

Ich hoffe auf Ihre wohlwollende zusätzliche Unterstützung und bedanke mich nochmals für ihren Support.

Freundliche Grüsse
TrappistMonk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Ich durfte letzte Woche freundlicherweise in ihren Alfa 4C sitzen und bedanke mich nochmals bestens für ihre Unterstützung. Ich bin heute noch sehr begeistert und fühle mich glücklich als einer der ersten Amerikaner in einem 4C gesessen zu sein.

Eines meiner Ziele war es zu verstehen ob ich mit meinen 1.90m in das Auto passe. Wie sie auch sehen konnten, war die Kopffreiheit eher knapp und daher möchte ich gerne in Erfahrung bringen, auf welcher Höhenstufe der Fahrersitz eingestellt war. Anscheinend gibt es 3 verschiedene Höhenstufen welche mittels Werkzeug eingestellt werden können.

Ich hoffe auf Ihre wohlwollende zusätzliche Unterstützung und bedanke mich nochmals für ihren Support.

Freundliche Grüsse
TrappistMonk
Fantastic, exactly as how I wanted to word it. Thanks Kamal!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts