Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion the 4c may be a long term car for me. Haven't fully come to that conclusion, but I like the car a lot and wouldn't like to part with it. So, modifying it is on the agenda.

Cheaping out is never the route I like to go, but i dont track the car or do any sort of heavy aggressive driving. I simply love to drive it where ever I go. So lowering the car is being done ONLY for the visual effect. (adding a set of Titan wheels most likely to go with it)

Eibachs seem to be bad no matter what for the 4c. I've been told its an absolute no on the spider.

So my question is, who makes the most road compliant set of coils? Having a set of Ohlins on my Evo 10 is magical and I love them. But i tracked that car extensively so it warranted the price.

My first priority is ride, not cost at this point, yet. Who makes a coilover for the 4c that dosnt clunk, is reliable and compliant on the road. Smooth ride isnt a high priority as ive never owned a car with "smooth ride"

Let me know your thoughts, maybe theres a lowering spring out there im missing or a good set of coils that fits this order!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I was going to say Eibach lowering springs. I haven’t receive any bad feedback for people that are using them in their 4Cs. If you don’t track the car I think that’s the most economical option.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KW's are going to be the most cost effective coilover for the 4C:

However, as mentioned if you are just looking at it from a looks perspective, lowering springs will do that at a fraction of the costs.
I was going to say Eibach lowering springs. I haven’t receive any bad feedback for people that are using them in their 4Cs. If you don’t track the car I think that’s the most economical option.

I appreciate the perspective. As mentioned the lowering springs will not work with the spider.
KW or novitec (I believe novitec is just a modified KW?) was going to be the biggest suggestion I assumed.

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can totally relate to your question as I used to have Öhlins on my Evo X as well. Personally I think if money is no object then Öhlins will be your best bet, other great street options will be Bilstein, KW...etch. H&R also have an option but it’s quite costly for what it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that, but for the price and what its doing, i have no problem with the extra $500 to get a full set of KW coils or Novitec

Good suggestion and looks to accomplish what I'm looking for, but price dosn't make sense for what it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can totally relate to your question as I used to have Öhlins on my Evo X as well. Personally I think if money is no object then Öhlins will be your best bet, other great street options will be Bilstein, KW...etch. H&R also have an option but it’s quite costly for what it is.
I looked at the Ohlins and their reputation is 10/10 however from some of the users that have them here, I have heard problems with clunking and other noises. Also price is overkill more likely for a street application.

KW or Similar seems the way to go. With a set of coils, the blocks seem to be a good add while im in there. Any other bits of suggestions for a street setup other than a good alignment?

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
I looked at the Ohlins and their reputation is 10/10 however from some of the users that have them here, I have heard problems with clunking and other noises. Also price is overkill more likely for a street application.

KW or Similar seems the way to go. With a set of coils, the blocks seem to be a good add while im in there. Any other bits of suggestions for a street setup other than a good alignment?
Whack in a set of GMS Uniballs to replace the rubber bushes in the rear suspension arms.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Nothing wrong with the 15mm lower Eibachs mate, ride has not changed at all.Very happy with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing wrong with the 15mm lower Eibachs mate, ride has not changed at all.Very happy with them.
I think that's the route I wanted to go initially, however everyone i have spoken with said that i should not use them on the spider.

If anyone with a 4c spider is on eibach springs i would love to know and see it!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Unlike other cars, I don't think there is much if any difference from a suspension perspective of the coupe vs spider. I know with luxury sedans and sport coupes, the convertible versions have different suspension components for the additional weight. I don't believe that is the case with the 4C so it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've used Eibach on multiple vehicles (6+) with no issues ever. However, I was a little taken aback with some failures reported here as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unlike other cars, I don't think there is much if any difference from a suspension perspective of the coupe vs spider. I know with luxury sedans and sport coupes, the convertible versions have different suspension components for the additional weight. I don't believe that is the case with the 4C so it shouldn't matter.
Right, i have no problem with them and i cant see how their would be a differnce? However the 2 websites i have seen them on state that they are "not suitable for the Spider"

73 Posts
I have come to the conclusion the 4c may be a long term car for me. Haven't fully come to that conclusion, but I like the car a lot and wouldn't like to part with it. So, modifying it is on the agenda.

Cheaping out is never the route I like to go, but i dont track the car or do any sort of heavy aggressive driving. I simply love to drive it where ever I go. So lowering the car is being done ONLY for the visual effect. (adding a set of Titan wheels most likely to go with it)

Eibachs seem to be bad no matter what for the 4c. I've been told its an absolute no on the spider.

So my question is, who makes the most road compliant set of coils? Having a set of Ohlins on my Evo 10 is magical and I love them. But i tracked that car extensively so it warranted the price.

My first priority is ride, not cost at this point, yet. Who makes a coilover for the 4c that dosnt clunk, is reliable and compliant on the road. Smooth ride isnt a high priority as ive never owned a car with "smooth ride"

Let me know your thoughts, maybe theres a lowering spring out there im missing or a good set of coils that fits this order!
KW would be my choice, least expensive. 4C Performance Suspension

·
Registered
64 Posts
KW V2 is your best bet. Nothing is wrong with Eibach springs, but the oem shocks on the 4C are subpar and if you are to mod the suspension, new shocks are a must. Hence, might as well go for coilovers with not too stiff springs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts