Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
Before: LE #451 - After: 2015 Coupe
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all; now that I'm finally back in a 4C, I wanted to share my experience over the past ~8 months.

Our story begins on a blazing hot December afternoon in the Florida Keys. I had just driven my Madreperla Launch Edition down to Key Largo from Miami for some R&R; a relaxing 70 mile hike. December 15th; I return from a meandering kayak adventure to news that a final edition Spider had just been announced. Red carbon fiber? Gold teledials? Almost every factory option? Limited to 33 examples? Time for an upgrade from the LE...

I spent that afternoon calling the 17 Alfa dealerships that were in reasonable distance (as far north as Orlando). As what will become a common theme in this saga, nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. Hours later, I got the only call back from Ferrari / Maserati / Alfa of Fort Lauderdale. They confirmed with Alfa NA that they were indeed receiving one. I hopped in the LE and drove my butt up 100 miles to put down my deposit. Tributo secured and promised by February? The LE was a quick sale on TRED.

Mid-January now, and Alfa Fort Lauderdale hits me with "by the way, we're going to be charging you 20k over MSRP". I pulled my deposit that second; future Tributo 13/33 would not be mine. By this point, @John4C and I had been chatting about all things Tributo; compiling data became a sort of obsessive hobby over the months. I was calling every dealership in the US set to receive a Tributo, hell-bent on securing one at MSRP (after all, if Fort Lauderdale was transparent from the jump, I would've probably been able to snag one). After facing the reality that no other dealers would sell for MSRP, I caved and put my deposit with Palmetto Alfa for 10k over on January 22nd. Then... I waited.

And waited...

AND WAITED!

But, in the meantime, my Tributo fever was real (had to supplement the 4C addiction somehow), and I was doing my best to keep tabs on the dealerships set to receive one. The Alfa Cares customer service reps started recognizing my voice. None of them knew where the hell the Tributo's were: no dealer, no Alfa rep, not even the Stellantis case managers could help. At this point, John and I knew more Tributo info than all three entities combined.

Fast forward to March 26th. I get a call from South Miami Alfa Romeo: "Tributo 02/33 has just arrived without warning". It would prove to be the first wave of Tributo deliveries in the US (all without warning). Felix at Rick Case Alfa Romeo / Maserati was nice enough to let me come take a look at their sold Tributo 15/33 to satisfy my craving:
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

But... still no word from Palmetto on my Tributo. So... I waited.

And waited...

UNTIL I RAN OUT OF PATIENCE.

Fast forward to May 27th, I get a call from Palmetto Alfa Romeo: Tributo 31/33 has arrived; the final Tributo to arrive in the US. Unfortunately, I had pulled my deposit a month prior, because the 4C wizard @John4C had found me an incredible car.

In the end, Tributo hunting was an enjoyable, stressful, and memorable experience. It somehow made my passion for Alfa grow even stronger, and now I'm just focused on loving my regular ol' 2015 RA Coupe (and throwing money into the endless pit of mods). 8 months without a 4C felt like a void. Every car I drove in the meantime (even cars quadruple the price of my Coupe) felt mundane in comparison. We know it always goes without saying, but we drive very, very special cars. 馃グ馃弾馃崁

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoyed reading your journey, but alas there is one glaring flaw, there is absolutely NOTHING 'regular' about ANY 4C...they are ALL UNIQUE INDIVIDUALLY CRAFTED ART PIECES....

Enjoy your Art 馃檹
You're absolutely right. I love my art. I'm enjoying it from my window right now 馃槒

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
When I first saw this post, I thought you are talking about a Ferrari F8 Tributo! Too many cars with that names coming out Italy.

Registered
Ah I see, I had just messaged you on FB just the other day as I was wondering what had happened. Shame you didn't get the tributo but at least you still have 4C

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dantes we should hangout dude. I'm in Coral Gables.
Hell yeah dude let鈥檚 do it 馃彎

I bounce in between Pembroke Pines and Brickell Key

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah I see, I had just messaged you on FB just the other day as I was wondering what had happened. Shame you didn't get the tributo but at least you still have 4C
馃檹馃徏 the money saved on the Tributo gives me room to play around with this one 馃槈

Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
Time has a way of working things out and if I had a T I would be less inclined to change anything except perhaps wheels. Since you have been a veteran 4C owner would be interested in your upgrade plan. Safe driving馃崁

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time has a way of working things out and if I had a T I would be less inclined to change anything except perhaps wheels. Since you have been a veteran 4C owner would be interested in your upgrade plan. Safe driving馃崁
Aside from aesthetic upgrades (carbon fiber galore), I want to compliment my Centerline / MagnaFlow Competizione Exhaust with the next typical moves; ECU and Intake (not sure which brand yet). Also considering getting my PPF redone (there is a good amount of wear from previous owner), and my dashboard replaced from bubbling. @John4C gave me a great idea on redoing my dash 馃憖

Premium Member
This was a journey. @Dantes is a lot of the reason I was able to compile all the Tributo sales prices and numbers/vins.

The waiting was brutal. Idk how I would鈥檝e dealt with being the last one. I was devastated when mine wasn鈥檛 in the first batch in late March. It was brutal waiting on these with a complete lack of information and what felt like an endless supply of people/other dealers trying to steal the cars we thought we had secured.

I think it worked out in the end though. You got a smoking deal on that coupe and I think you were going to struggle with the urge to mod the Tributo versus trying to keep it original given what it is (hell I have been a bit). Now you can mod away and enjoy the 4C experience (which is really the same on all of them) without worrying too much about it.

Congrats again and can鈥檛 wait until you get the stripe installed 馃憤馃徎

Registered
@Dantes When you put the deposit on the tributo did you also agree on the sale price (I've never put a deposit on a car so I am curious how it works)?

Premium Member
@Dantes When you put the deposit on the tributo did you also agree on the sale price (I've never put a deposit on a car so I am curious how it works)?
They will typically try and take your deposit without addressing the price formally or putting anything in writing (this is true for all dealers btw, not just related to tributo). That way they can tell you there is a market adjustment later if they feel they can get it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't agree on a sales price with Alfa/Ferrari FL; I wrongly assumed MSRP until they told me they wanted 20k over one month later. I did agree on a sales price with Palmetto Alfa, before they allowed me to pull my deposit due to the long wait time.

They will typically try and take your deposit without addressing the price formally or putting anything in writing (this is true for all dealers btw, not just related to tributo). That way they can tell you there is a market adjustment later if they feel they can get it.
Yep, exactly what Alfa FL tried to pull on me 馃槖

Registered
Thanks. I guess if I am putting a deposit I basically just indicate willingness to participate in a kind of auction later...

Registered
I didn't agree on a sales price with Alfa/Ferrari FL; I wrongly assumed MSRP until they told me they wanted 20k over one month later.
This is really unfortunate. It is too bad they did not make it clear that they are not committing to sell at MSRP. IMO it is fine for them to try and get whatever they can for the car, but not being transparent about it is a problem. I would have assumed the same thing as you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts