Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three months ago, my virtually new 2020 4C Spider (took possession in January after a inexplicable 7-month wait for delivery) experienced both complete brake failure and engine failure within a single week. While the brake issue was resolved fairly quickly, the engine failure took the dealer well over 1-month to diagnose, after a teardown, having found a considerable amount of metal inside the block in a variety of different locations. In addition, and per the dealer, unrelated, the wastegate of the turbocharger was deemed defective, but that was not the source of the metal fragments in the engine. Fast forward, a new engine was ordered and installed, and separately a new turbocharger was sourced from the Alfa parts facility in Mexico. After several more weeks, I was informed that the turbocharger was no longer in production and I needed to wait for it to be manufactured and shipped. More weeks went by and the unit finally arrived and was installed, only to find that the replacement unit was also defective. Now thirteen weeks into a repair, of a car with less that 1,500 miles on the odometer, I am still waiting impatiently for the repairs to be completed.

First, I find it incredulous to believe that Alfa can not provide better service and access to replacement parts. Second, the dealer was of no help, noncommunicative, and as a franchise and AR representative they disavowed ownership of the issue, instead blaming the problem on Alfa. Third, the escalation process to the regional AR manager and ultimately to Corporate/Customer Care proved thoroughly disappointing, as they simply restated the unpredictable and unknown timing to receive replacement parts, along with many "canned" responses from the "irate customer service response guide". And last, I was not offered a loaner car, nor compensation for the three months and growing, monthly loan payments ($1,600.00 per month). In the end, they did suggest that Alfa would begin a process of evaluating my car as a potential candidate for their repurchase program. They would let me know in a few weeks the disposition of that decision. That was clearly a very bad sign...

Frankly, it seems to me that Alfa has a QAQC issue present at every turn, beginning with production, extending through maintaining an inventory of replacement parts, and deep into customer service at both the local dealer and corporate level. And while I am not in the habit of making public complaints, this entire experience needs to be vetted thoroughly by Alfa management, or they will be doomed to repeat history and disappear from the American market for another twenty years. In the end, I have no interest in abandoning my 4C, but I do have a great interest in having Alfa Romeo rise to the challenge of providing proper support, communication, and service to their customers. Thus, this public message (which has been sitting in my Send Box for quite some time), awaiting a satisfactory conclusion to my extremely poor experience with Alfa Romeo. Frankly, this is not an experience that I have ever had with my Porsche or BMW dealer...

Thoughts on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been therE - total runaround !!! Absolutely, no idea how to assist. In fact, their idea of an “escalation process” was truly pathetic. Next idea???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles! Have you considered speaking with an attorney who specializes in these types of matters? Sometimes a certified letter is all it takes to show them you are serious.

Good luck, I hope you get this resolved soon enough.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm sorry you're having trouble but the 4C, overall, has been a very reliable model. Especially in stock form. And many who have tunes from AlfaWorks, EuroCompulsion, etc have had great reliability. Myself included.

From a previous post of yours I see that you had what sounds like an aggressive tune on yours from a relative unknown to the Alfa tuning world. I'm not saying that is the cause of your engine issues, but If Alfa was doing anything for me warranty-wise on an engine that has been tuned 100+ hp beyond stock, I'd be pretty thankful.

While waiting for weeks on end for parts would be frustrating, I have heard of similar issues with service on both BMW and Porsche. I'm waiting on a part for my Porsche right now that I was told had a 5 week lead time. Luckily it is one where I can continue using the old one until the new one arrives. And I would imagine Covid is playing some havoc on quality and ship times for most things these days - I don't remember the last time I got something within 2 days from Amazon prime! And my son's car has been without a rear window for a week and a half and I was told today that it is coming from California so the fires may be delaying that shipment and that they would call me when the glass arrives.

From your post it sounds like, although they may not have answers, Alfa is still working with you to resolve the issue and I would see that as a very good thing. I think there are a lot of people and places that don't have a lot of answers right now so my advice would be to try to stay patient as long as it seems like they're attempting to resolve the issue. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Well said. ☝Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure Covid 19 has something to do with slower response and the manufacturing of parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry to hear but dealers up in Canada isn’t any better. I’ve been waiting for weeks trying get warranty outstanding items resolved and am still waiting...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The delays are pretty typical, even in non pandemic times, for more expensive limited production cars.
Waiting sucks, but that's why you need to own multiple cars. :p

I appreciate your frustration, but it sounds like they're doing the best that they can do to take care of you -- buyback would address your loan payment issue.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't think there is any chance Alfa is going to buyback a car with engine problems that has been modified/tuned but that's just one opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
Any mod that directly impacts or could have caused a given failure would be grounds for a warranty dismissal. But of course a wheel spacer isn't going to cause an engine failure so there is a reasonable expectation of common sense. But it sounds like this case may go beyond a simple answer as the engine may have had an issue. I know of one other member that had an engine replaced due to metal filings in the engine from assembly fault....even though that car had several mods and was extensively tracked.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
123 Posts
And while I am not in the habit of making public complaints, this entire experience needs to be vetted thoroughly by Alfa management, or they will be doomed to repeat history and disappear from the American market for another twenty years. In the end, I have no interest in abandoning my 4C, but I do have a great interest in having Alfa Romeo rise to the challenge of providing proper support, communication, and service to their customers. Thus, this public message (which has been sitting in my Send Box for quite some time), awaiting a satisfactory conclusion to my extremely poor experience with Alfa Romeo. Frankly, this is not an experience that I have ever had with my Porsche or BMW dealer...
Hmmm... Strange stuff man... It's kind of funny that you say "I am not in the habit of making public complaints" and then you follow it up with the bit about "this public message (which has been sitting in my Send Box for quite some time)"... Seems like the grinding of this particular ax has been pretty intentional.

You came in hot two months ago talking about your 350 hp wonder tune, well... if I were in your shoes and using an enthusiast forum as a strategy to leverage some extra consideration from the manufacturer, I would certainly work overtime to remove the evidence you are creating here that you likely brought about your car's early demise with ill-advised tuning. You seem to be pointing the finger at Alfa about being accountable and owning their mistakes--but if you truly had a 350hp tune using the simple bolt-on's you referenced, then you have got to realize that you have grossly overtaxed your engine's internals... so that accountability lives with you... Welcome to the world of modified cars ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts