Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm relocating the AC control area to the DIN area, and undermounting a bluetooth motorcycle amp with simple button controls tightly under the switches (see Lotus Elise or Ferrari F8 styles), with a carbon phone arm sandwiched to serve as my infinitely updatable and swappable maps and phone and... Well, IMO an infinitely improved, simplified, lightweight (fingers crossed!), Minimalist design that is classic rather than stuck in the plastic of 1990's.

So to help out anyone with similar project or simple curiosity, I start where @Docron (awesome man, thank you!) left off on removing the AC panel face (can't find the thread now?! Sorry no link), here are the pics of the breakdown elements.

Note: I'll try my best to add part numbers of each piece, but I'm just putting down what numbers (if any) are found on the piece. If anyone has a pic request before the project is over, I'll be happy to oblige as soon as i see it.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Face Plate

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rheostat(?) "5-pole Fan speed knob and switch"

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC Control Panel Frame (likely also made by Denso Controls)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little explanation if curious:
So note that the whole assembly is bulky (FYI the face plate is slightly heavier than he frame structure, all in I'd venture (no OZ scale, sorry) about 5lbs all in) in the most unecessary way, just to have the items CLIP IN rather than bolted or sleeved - just compress and pull with masculine ignorance. Loads of shape complications and obviously focused on a chunky user interface of the OEM aircon heater/cooler unit which is shared with the mito and older non-USA Alfa's, and use two loop-ended cables for vane cylinder rotation and temperature control, and then one 5-wire rheostat for fan speed bundled with 2 LED bulbs that pop into the top columns to illuminate the shaped acrylic (?) which "contact spills" light to the knobs and face.

Random Design Complaint: I've read somewhere long ago in a place far, far away that the AC controls were designed to accommodate "gloved hands", assuming our rather posh lightweights were supposed to pose harder as raw, pure track cars (someone didn't memo the vast, delaminating leather and low rev limit deciding departments, then). Seeing that the older Alfa's like the 157/33 had rather good for their time UI designs, this skeuomorphic approach to what is a physical object pretending to be from the late 1980's maybe was done by someone who has never driven a 1980's car and knows how NOT NOSTALGIC these plastic tumors are. Still, I am falling in love again with my 4c in that it is actually, surprisingly "analog", and can simply machine/3D print/customize my own "user interface" with the car into an experience and rugged or resilient utility of my own choosing without needing to hack or code or replace the whole system. As I sort of accomplish this, I can use most of the OEM (lots of cutting a cheap replacement part... Pacific Northwest dismantlers are selling the WHOLE assembly (seems perfect, no grease sheens or nicks...) For $48.52

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looking forward to see the new redesigned A/C controls.

And thanks for the pics, they may be helpful in the future to anyone with problems on these parts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Design Development:
So it turns out two cars have easily adaptable assemblies for less than $75, >$50 if you aren't impatient
Mazda 3 (thanks to members for the lead in buying the aftermarket knobs that fit the Alfa OEM):

And the NA/NB Mazda Miatas:

I would be able to machine/laser etch anything, and given they are flat faced, can simply cut an acrylic block to shape for backlighting (using existing LEDs that the OEM harness has)...

BUT: the Miata has some awesome cheap aftermarket options and flexibility that has me leaning towards simply using the NA Miata HVAC Controls and adapting the fan speed rheostat to fit (VERY easy) so I can box the OEM stuff and allow for a FULLY REVERSIBLE design in case of whatever... Not that I'm ever selling the carbon tub.

I can even use very fancy copper and brass (stainless... The materials and colors are limitless) knobs to bolt to the controls for either option. A million percent improvement to the OEM options (i.e. none, take it and like ot or shove it or throw a carbon fiber bag over it's head).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts