Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your 4C came with the optional Akrapovic exhaust you would have noted that unless you are in Dynamic or Race mode the sound level is substantially reduced.
There are two vacuum operated flaps on the exhaust system that close on startup unless you are in the previously mentioned modes.
In order to keep the flaps open all you have to do is to pull off the vacuum hoses. Doing this will make sure that the exhaust will sound as it should in all modes. It will also not trigger CEL (check engine light).
Once you pull the vacuum hoses you would need to plug them, in my case I had suitable size copper blind rivets. Also secure the hoses somewhere where they will not get damages burned etc. etc. I have circled where I have secured them in the second picture.
Also do not forget to cover the open pipes of the vacuum valves to stop any dirt getting in there. I used two short lengths of suitable sized rubber hoses with the copper rivets.
The process is easy and quick, you do not have to remove anything. The vacuum operated flaps are easily seen and accessed.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Kind of defeats the purpose of the valved exhaust, but thanks for the information.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Interesting mod, I rather like mine with two sound levels. Glad they made these cars so easy to mod so that we can all tailor to preference.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Interesting mod, I rather like mine with two sound levels. Glad they made these cars so easy to mod so that we can all tailor to preference.
Been a trick on the "M" cars for years. Used to be you unplugged the vac line and plugged both ends to the exhaust valves but come the "F" chassis you just unplugged valve harness to the valves prior to cold start. Easy mod for more sound :wink2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The new M3's can be aftermarket modded to open and close with a remote or one of the existing switchs re-purposed. IIRC even there is a phone ap.
Beyond my pay grade.

I'm sure some company will do a mod for the same here.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The new M3's can be aftermarket modded to open and close with a remote or one of the existing switchs re-purposed. IIRC even there is a phone ap.
Beyond my pay grade.

I'm sure some company will do a mod for the same here.
With these production numbers......aint gonna happen

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I helped explain this mod to a local guy and when under his car only seen one flap vacuum module to unplug that opens a single flap located in the center of the exhaust.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd actually love one of the dummy switches to disengage or engage the valves independent of the mode the car is in. Sometimes you want to run in dynamic but need it to be a little quieter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd actually love one of the dummy switches to disengage or engage the valves independent of the mode the car is in. Sometimes you want to run in dynamic but need it to be a little quieter.
bahahaha nope 😂 never want to be quieter

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have no need for it to be quieter....why get one? Just stay with the race exhaust and save money and weight and complexity.
I wasn't getting one, I was simply having a gentle poke at heavyfoot, there is no way I would want to stifle the great note that the 4C produces

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your 4C came with the optional Akrapovic exhaust you would have noted that unless you are in Dynamic or Race mode the sound level is substantially reduced.
There are two vacuum operated flaps on the exhaust system that close on startup unless you are in the previously mentioned modes.
In order to keep the flaps open all you have to do is to pull off the vacuum hoses. Doing this will make sure that the exhaust will sound as it should in all modes. It will also not trigger CEL (check engine light).
Once you pull the vacuum hoses you would need to plug them, in my case I had suitable size copper blind rivets. Also secure the hoses somewhere where they will not get damages burned etc. etc. I have circled where I have secured them in the second picture.
Also do not forget to cover the open pipes of the vacuum valves to stop any dirt getting in there. I used two short lengths of suitable sized rubber hoses with the copper rivets.
The process is easy and quick, you do not have to remove anything. The vacuum operated flaps are easily seen and accessed.
I have the opposite problem mine is stuck open. I took it to the dealer and they said its missing a part which i do not believe. Once i get it back ill post some pics i would like to be able to change the modes as i leave at 6am so it kinda wakes the neighbors hahahah

1 - 18 of 18 Posts