Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Akrapovic Exhaust Modification

8K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  HeavyFoot 
#1 ·
If your 4C came with the optional Akrapovic exhaust you would have noted that unless you are in Dynamic or Race mode the sound level is substantially reduced.
There are two vacuum operated flaps on the exhaust system that close on startup unless you are in the previously mentioned modes.
In order to keep the flaps open all you have to do is to pull off the vacuum hoses. Doing this will make sure that the exhaust will sound as it should in all modes. It will also not trigger CEL (check engine light).
Once you pull the vacuum hoses you would need to plug them, in my case I had suitable size copper blind rivets. Also secure the hoses somewhere where they will not get damages burned etc. etc. I have circled where I have secured them in the second picture.
Also do not forget to cover the open pipes of the vacuum valves to stop any dirt getting in there. I used two short lengths of suitable sized rubber hoses with the copper rivets.
The process is easy and quick, you do not have to remove anything. The vacuum operated flaps are easily seen and accessed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Kind of defeats the purpose of the valved exhaust, but thanks for the information.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm a dumb ass...I was explaining this pic on the phone. No wonder he couldn't find them. I was directing him to the center for one.... he looked on the drivers side and saw it. They must have changed the design sometime before US production? Interesting

Thanks Gary, I just called him back :wink2:

Attachments

#18 ·
I have the opposite problem mine is stuck open. I took it to the dealer and they said its missing a part which i do not believe. Once i get it back ill post some pics i would like to be able to change the modes as i leave at 6am so it kinda wakes the neighbors hahahah

#20 ·
There have been a few with the stuck valve. You might search for that topic. I am sure some who have had that issue can comment. As i recall the solution was to use some spray fluid to clean it up and free it. May have been brake clean but don't use that until you get some feed back. If on warranty I would have dealer address it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.