Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a feeling that the 4C is a misunderstood car. I just posted a similar thread at r/Cars on reddit and people seem to focus on whether the car can be daily or that is not a manual. Even at 40k somebody stated that a Gran Tourismo or a SL65 are better at that price range. That tells me, that most people that bash the 4C are not 'really' into drivers cars. The only cars they would consider is a sport car that can be a daily. The Cayman is the argument that i read all the time. Yes they are very good cars and they drive nice, but no way it makes you feel like your pants are on fire like the 4C

At the end, it boils down to people that really like driving something unique and understand the challenge of feeling involved driving a vehicle, those may understand what the 4C have to offer

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes. If you want to scare a passenger, the Alfa 4C is the absolute best car for the task. There is something about the car that creates a sense of unease for the passenger that the driver is almost always unaware of. Could be that the driver is focusing on the road, not sure. I have been a passenger in plenty of fast cars both on and off the track, and the 4C is the only one where I felt scared as a passenger. The car is definitely only good for a true car enthusiast, not someone who just wants to look cool.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a shame that it has a bad rap. Because it doesn't have a manual, really? Then I feel bad for any new Ferrari's as they don't have manuals

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love my car but for the price it should definitely have a better interior. The center console and the AC controls just look and feel like plastic garbage. No back up camera except for the newer year models was a bad choice, and we all know about the aftermarket radio complaints. If they would have taken care of these areas the car would have gotten a better reception IMO.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
I love my car but for the price it should definitely have a better interior. The center console and the AC controls just look and feel like plastic garbage. No back up camera except for the newer year models was a bad choice, and we all know about the aftermarket radio complaints. If they would have taken care of these areas the car would have gotten a better reception IMO.
It was made that way for a purpose. Nothing was an afterthought. It also kept the price down and eventually, the wankers away. Someone once described it as perfectly imperfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember not being impressed with the interior the first time I sat in the 4C, then I drove it and decided it matter. I’ve also never turned on the radio. To me the 4C seems to have been conceived and designed with a singular focus on the driving experience, which inherently resulted in compromises that many people weren’t willing to accept.

I’ve always seen the 4C a modern Dino. The car appeals to a very narrow audience right now, but I would not be surprised to see this change over time.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I agree. I wish I had the option of no leather (i.e., no delamination), radio delete, and harness mounting points built into the CF tub. But Alfa seems to have been trying to appeal to softer people with their USA car. I think the Italians have the wrong impression of us (or, at least, me).

I love the simple AC controls. Very little to break going forward. Only way to make them better is if they were direct cable-operated like an early Miata.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Things that are not sports cars:

Gran Turismo
SL65

Things that are sports cars:

Miata
4C
Elise

The catch 22: The more the 4C moves to appeal to the masses, the worse it'll get.

It's like arguing that sport bikes should sit higher, rev lower, and offer more comfort. Go Karts should be bigger, slower, have roofs and A/C. Snowmobiles need tires, heat and room for six.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
I agree. I wish I had the option of no leather (i.e., no delamination), radio delete, and harness mounting points built into the CF tub. But Alfa seems to have been trying to appeal to softer people with their USA car. I think the Italians have the wrong impression of us (or, at least, me).

I love the simple AC controls. Very little to break going forward. Only way to make them better is if they were direct cable-operated like an early Miata.
Yep, harness mounting points and seats better able to hold you in should have been in the original specifications. I love the simplicity of the AC controls. Reach down, no look.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It was made that way for a purpose. Nothing was an afterthought. It also kept the price down and eventually, the wankers away. Someone once described it as perfectly imperfect.
Have to mostly agree with your thoughts, but the Alpine A110S is similar money to the 4c and the interior is certainly much nicer, the shape & style of the Alpine may not be to every ones taste, but I suppose each to their own!

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Have to mostly agree with your thoughts, but the Alpine A110S is similar money to the 4c and the interior is certainly much nicer, the shape & style of the Alpine may not be to every ones taste, but I suppose each to their own!
But what Alfista worthy of the name would buy an Alpine over a 4C? 😁 After 4 years I haven’t missed a thing, Hornetballs’ inclusions excepted. I despair at my wifes’ insistence that we take the Giulietta on drives together on most occasions these days with its comfy chairs, climate control and Bose sound. At least I got the chance to put on a good Ragazzon H2 to hear the exhaust, so there’s even a faint reminder of the 4C when I give it a boot full, but it’s no 4C susubstitute.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think all of you have missed seeing the big picture. We own cars from the 1951 Alfa Romeo Matta to the 2016 4C with a Ford Escape, a Dino 308gt4, a Porsche Boxster, an SLK230 and an SL500 thrown in for good measure. All of those cars contain significant compromises. The plastic in both Mercedes looks feels, and responds to U.V. light and age like something out of a cheap Lindberg model kit. It really chaps my ass to think my SL500 was $93,000.00 in 2003! The Ford, while tough, doesn't have the luxurious look and feel of the two Mercedes but after 200,000+ miles it has never needed a repair costing more that $200.00 and the plastic in the interior has not failed, unlike the German twins. Really, only the ancient Dino looks and feels like it's made of something substantial and has stood the test of time.

Alfa made a great sports car with the 4C, but it isn't to everyone's taste. People need to understand, when I want a PBJ and a glass of cold milk, prime rib and a baked potato isn't going to cut it... Is PBJ "better" than prime rib? It is when I want a PBJ. One of my biggest complaints is when people modify old cars to make them "better" or easier to live with... What does that mean? I have a 750 series Giulietta with the correct engine, tunnel case transmission and 4.56 rear end.It takes some effort to run it long distances but there is great pleasure in doing so. I also know a well respected club member who put a 2.0 liter engine, 5-speed gearbox and disk brakes on his Giulietta. Everyone looks at it and thinks it's wonderful... Except me, I thought it was a waste of two good cars. The 2.0 liter Alfa is gone and the flavor of the Giulietta is ruined, it's like, I don't know, putting ketchup on ice cream...

I can bring it even closer... In the late 1990s when my daughters SLK230 was new it was compared to the then new Porche Boxster and the BMW Z3. My wife has a 2003 Boxster S. The only thing similar between the SLK and the Boxster is four wheels and Germany. Drive them back to back and you wouldn't think they were meant for the same type of travel yet they were compared to each other several times by several different sources. Same with the Boxster and the 4C. Again, I go back to my food analogies. We (I hope) don't all eat the same thing every day... As I write this, my daughter is making homemade chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwiches and salad for dinner tonight but over the weekend I made Beef Wellington (inside family joke) because I wanted to give it a try. It was delicious but I really wouldn't want to have to make that effort every day for dinner. The cars are the same. When I want to concentrate on driving I want the 4C but for my 55 minute each way morning/evening commute all I really want is A/C and A/T. What it is wrapped up in isn't really of any interest as long as it gets good mileage and is reliable.

I've always wanted an ES-30 and I have a 1985 GTV-6 I bought in 1987. Recently I had the chance to buy an ES-30. I looked forward to the test drive and I'm sad to say that while I loved and still love the ES-30, driving it was a disappointment. It was more like driving a hot version of my GTV-6 than anything else. For that amount of money I think I'll look for a Montreal instead. The Montreal is a different "flavor".

What I'd really like to do is drive the new Alpine. I would love to run it back to back against the 4C. Not as a car mag tester but as a real 4C owner.

Off my soapbox too long.... and dinner is ready...

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Well written, MultiAlfaOwner. I’ve a ‘74, 4 dr, 4-speed Sud with the original motor and gearbox. My fathers’ car with the memories of him and great trips together. Its character, faults and all, remain and also its charm. Not for sale. To change it would cloud, even ruin its true value to me.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
14 Posts
We’ve all chosen to own and drive an Alfa Romeo 4C for our own reasons. As a life long sports car driver and automobile design fan, I know I certainly have mine. Is it a practical choice? Not at all. Does it make me happy NOW, in this moment? Absolutely. It doesn’t matter to me one bit whether others “get it” or not, and I am enjoying getting to know and appreciate my 4C for all its perfections AND imperfections. The criticisms of many are THE exact qualities that appealed to me and I can’t wait to take my 4C for a canyon drive again when the “Safer at Home” lock down ends. Be safe all, and as you wait to go for a drive be happy that our 4Cs are visual design treats as well as exciting road partners.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts