Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have to mostly agree with your thoughts, but the Alpine A110S is similar money to the 4c and the interior is certainly much nicer, the shape & style of the Alpine may not be to every ones taste, but I suppose each to their own!
The Alpine was made after the Alfa, so likely they try make sure they addressed the critics. Also the CF tub took a big chunck of the budget.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the car to be misunderstood, you have to assume that the people giving it negative reviews fundamentally understand what it is, and what it isn't.

As others have pointed out, comparing the 4C to a Cayman is a joke. They're not even the same animal.

Personally, I'd rather have a carbon tub, than fancy HVAC knobs and a stereo worth a damn. IMO, anyone listening to the radio instead of the sweet sounds coming from behind your head are missing out on the best music. Long drives, maybe, but for spirited drives? No radio. I like that there's bluetooth for the occasional time you get, or have to make a call, but that's about it for me and the radio.

The no manual argument is garbage, as the higher you go on the sportscar foodchain, the less likely you are to find a manual transmission available. My daily is a manual 997, and I enjoy rowing the gears through town, but I can tell you, when driving my favorite mountain passes, I love being able to keep both hands on the wheel in the 4C.

The thing I always wonder, is why the Ferrari/Lambo crowd didn't pick up a 4C as their run around car. It's cheap compared to the higher exotics, but still gives you that feeling when you drive it that you're in something really special.

So, yes, it's misunderstood. But I don't think there's much of an understanding at all when it's compared to a Cayman, and receives complaints about some plasticky parts. My other favorite, is the overdramatic shots of reviewers trying to turn the steering wheel without the car moving. It just shows what a bunch of morons they are. Hit the gas and go 2 miles and hour and you can turn the wheel no problem. Duh.

I've now owned my car for 5 years, and I've loved every minute of it. All of my friends told me I was crazy when I bought it, but most of them have swapped out 3 cars already during the same time frame. When you find something that's really good(for you), you stick with it. People that keep buying different cars every 5 minutes are either never satisfied, or aren't capable of falling in love with one car. I'm different. I bought my 997 in 2007, and never traded up for a 991, because I absolutely love the feel of what I have. I don't need newer. A worn in pair of jeans always feels better than a new pair. My opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
The thing I always wonder, is why the Ferrari/Lambo crowd didn't pick up a 4C as their run around car. It's cheap compared to the higher exotics, but still gives you that feeling when you drive it that you're in something really special.
Maybe because they might get the nagging feeling, “Did I really have to spend this much on the Ferrari?”, each time they drove their 4C. Probably not, but I’d like to think there might be an element of truth in it.;) 😁

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + (coming soon) Delorean DMC12
49 Posts
Preaching to choir this thread, but all valid posts for the most part (of course!). I'm just here to point out a particular logic that if someone is "misunderstanding" the 4c, then they clearly have not had the "gut reaction" the whole project/car was meant to stimulate... WE get it (owning or wanting to own one), but "different strokes". A GT is lost on me, be it the GTR ("35") or the new mclaren or a Bentley or an SLS/SL/etc benz or the old v10 M6... I will "misunderstand" those cars and I feel most of us will too.
I decided between a manual Ariel or vintage Ferrari and a manual, pushrod Truck, or one Alfa 4c spider for the same money. Why the one 4c over two amazing options? Because when im in the jeep, I'll wish i was in an Alfa being more efficient and speedy, and when I'm in the Ariel, I'll wish i was in an Alfa being sane and happy if it suddenly rains or is 95+ degrees of hot and humid.
If i was in a Cayman-Boxster/Exige/GT, I'd just wish I was in the Alfa, where I dont become invisible/stick out too much, unsafely/be an overweight-not-a-truck. I have nothing but criticism for the cars these people love to love, yet feel perfect in the car they love to hate (after modifications, of course...)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Debunking Manual Transmissions Myth -- It's not less engaging to drive an automated manual:

Eventually 'engaging' things lose out to something that eventually blows that engaging thing away. Cars with hand crank engines, manual chokes, carburateurs, bias ply tires and hand pump fuel systems are more engaging.

But let's talk about manual brakes. The most engaging thing you can do is drive hard and modulate the brakes without ABS. When ABS became standard on everything, the most critical driver activity was taken away. Now you stomp the brakes. That dance ... that little wiggle from each corner fighting for traction as you modulate the brakes as you wait... wait... wait for some bite before turning the wheel... that dance is gone. That's adrenaline.

But wait, here comes "Save The Manual Wagons'' Bob with his hot take: "I'd buy a 4C if it had a manual!"

I don't get braking modulation anymore. A massive adrenaline dump generations will never know... modulating brakes on bias ply tires... it's gone forever.

Heck... polishing and waxing old paint and caring for it was more engaging than the clear coat or clear film life we all live now. There was a time when your paint was only as good as you!

But I know that adrenaline feel when you can fire off gear shifts and fully exploit a turbo 4 (which would not be as connected with a real manual, because automated manuals bring these engines to life). But when you carry ludicrous speeds into a corner as you fire off downshifts, that's kind of cool. That sudden blip, blip, blip downshift can be thrilling.

Manuals are nice. Absolutely. In certain cars. But you're exposed if you think manual is always the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But what Alfista worthy of the name would buy an Alpine over a 4C?
I'd have to drive both to decide. I have more affinity towards the Alfa marque, but the Alpine does look pretty cool. 4C - Alpine - Exige.... Those who have to decide between the three are in a good position in life!

·
Registered
470 Posts
But let's talk about manual brakes. The most engaging thing you can do is drive hard and modulate the brakes without ABS. When ABS became standard on everything, the most critical driver activity was taken away. Now you stomp the brakes. That dance ... that little wiggle from each corner fighting for traction as you modulate the brakes as you wait... wait... wait for some bite before turning the wheel... that dance is gone. That's adrenaline.
Could not agree more, every year on that 'first' time I have to test the brakes on my 89 911....it TESTS ME and quickly rekindles my FAITH in God!!!! Truly, the brakes bring me back to that era of car more than the manual!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know quite a few who have, and also some who have divested and reinvested in the 4C solely. On this forum most of us know what we have in a 4C, Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
I took the Alfa for a little drive on Sunday, and followed it with a little drive on the same roads in my 2006 S2000. The Alfa definitely was more 'engaging' because of the much higher speeds and thrust of the drive train. You really have to be paying attention when you drive this car. Getting in the S2000 (after it sitting for about four months) was really nice. Like seeing an old friend after a long absence. The manual shift was super nice. The overwhelming impression of the car was that it was superbly engineered and really smooth. Everything about the car is on par with the other elements. Acceleration, braking, handling, all really great. While I love driving the Alfa, I know I will always have an S2000. They are awesome cars without being scary at all. Supremely easy to wring out as much as the car can do. The Alfa is more of a special occasion car, and one I am very happy to have purchased. Can't wait for the summer!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 4C isn't for everyone. It's perfect for me. Even after 5 years of ownership I've only considered selling my LE once, and that was to buy the Spider Italia! I ended up keeping the LE.

I compare the comments in the reviews of the 4C and it reminds me of all the things I read about supercars as I was growing up - poor rear visibility (check), hard to get in/out (check), slightly uncomfortable (check), fear of unreliability (Alfa reputation, check), fast acceleration (check, especially compared to the late '80s early '90s), drop dead sexy styling (check). It even has a carbon tub like my favorite car of that era - the Ferrari F40! And for all the "negatives" I still want that.

In my opinion the Acura NSX ruined the exotics by showing one could be made that is reliable, comfortable, and easy enough for the average person to drive every day. And also boring. A sports car, especially an exotic, should be about looks, performance, and how it makes you feel. Anything else should compromise to achieve those goals.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Ferraris that are legendary and everyone lusts for are the raw and simple ones.
The 250GTO, 288GTO, F40, 360 Challenge Stradale even the 246 Dino.
Not the ones with great stereos, interiors and cup holders.
Trust me...over half the people in the Ferrari world don't even "get it".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took the Alfa for a little drive on Sunday, and followed it with a little drive on the same roads in my 2006 S2000. The Alfa definitely was more 'engaging' because of the much higher speeds and thrust of the drive train. You really have to be paying attention when you drive this car. Getting in the S2000 (after it sitting for about four months) was really nice. Like seeing an old friend after a long absence. The manual shift was super nice. The overwhelming impression of the car was that it was superbly engineered and really smooth. Everything about the car is on par with the other elements. Acceleration, braking, handling, all really great. While I love driving the Alfa, I know I will always have an S2000. They are awesome cars without being scary at all. Supremely easy to wring out as much as the car can do. The Alfa is more of a special occasion car, and one I am very happy to have purchased. Can't wait for the summer!
I absolutely LOVED my S2000! It would absolutely rage at high RPM.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,746 Posts
When I see the discussions about whether the 4C is or isn't a great car in reviews it make me think....who gives a crap what others think if you like it. It is a bit like your spouse, girl or boy friend etc. Lets say they are a given height and weight, has brown hair, outgoing personality, smart, musically talented. Now some one comes along and says they don't like that person since they are too tall, a bit skinnier, blonde, shy, street smart, and they can't stand music that they like. Are you going to get a new spouse or girl/boy friend because the other person doesn't like your choice...NO.
Likewise why should you let others make up your mind for you. Grow a spine and stick to what you like. If a reviewer prefers a GT, 600 hp V12, lots of cup holders, that is fine...they can buy one of those for their own car. They shouldn't be the one to tell the world what everyone else should buy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I see the discussions about whether the 4C is or isn't a great car in reviews it make me think....who gives a crap what others think if you like it. It is a bit like your spouse, girl or boy friend etc. Lets say they are a given height and weight, has brown hair, outgoing personality, smart, musically talented. Now some one comes along and says they don't like that person since they are too tall, a bit skinnier, blonde, shy, street smart, and they can't stand music that they like. Are you going to get a new spouse or girl/boy friend because the other person doesn't like your choice...NO.
Likewise why should you let others make up your mind for you. Grow a spine and stick to what you like. If a reviewer prefers a GT, 600 hp V12, lots of cup holders, that is fine...they can buy one of those for their own car. They shouldn't be the one to tell the world what everyone else should buy.
Olha, Ohla! FINALLY, someone who really understands. I get things I like because I like them not because of what someone else thinks or likes!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Ferraris that are legendary and everyone lusts for are the raw and simple ones.
The 250GTO, 288GTO, F40, 360 Challenge Stradale even the 246 Dino.
Not the ones with great stereos, interiors and cup holders.
Trust me...over half the people in the Ferrari world don't even "get it".
You mean owning a Ferrari isn't about not driving it, keeping it locked in a garage and washing the treads of the tires?!?!?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts