Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
Latest Grand Bend Raceway upgrade for my 4C. Tiny Shipping Container to keep Oil, Brake Fluid, Wax, Window Cleaner, Funnel, Cooler and Pit Chairs for Car Lapping Events. When I bring my Grand Daughter, we were extremely cramped bringing Water, Snacks, Camera etc so now I will have a Base Camp for 2022. Also a good place to put gear when it rains.
Cabinetry Handle Rectangle Wood Wood stain

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

What a great night at The BEND. Tonight’s 2021 Season Finale was a Sold Out Event with 42 Drivers entered. We ran on the Screaming Alien Circuit which seemed to be popular with the drivers. I was really happy to finish the Track Night Season with a Personal Best Lap of 68.67 Seconds which was over a second quicker than my previous time. I can’t wait to see the 2022 Track Night Schedule.

We are scheduled for an October 9th Track Day with a very wet forecast.

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
Glad to hear it. I plan to start tracking mine more and my goal with the 4C is to keep it "arrive and drive".
It's a really fun car to throw around a race track.
Will never be as fast as many trailered-in cars, even if you put a ton of money into it. If you're going to try to break a track record, a Radical or similar is probably the better way to go. But to put a smile on your face, and still give you a challenge, the 4C is pretty awesome.

Of course, this car is somewhat limited by what you can carry (no extra tires, jack, fuel cans) with you. But with a track close to home (in our case, it's 30-60 minutes away), and a great group of regulars who will gladly lend a tool or a hand if needed, 'arrive and drive' works quite well. I'd say 75% or more of the cars here show up that way.

My biggest fear is a blown tire.
Not having a decent rear tow point is also a drawback. So just "don't go off". LOL

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't need to chase lap times. If I want to do that, I'll drag my race car out. ;) For me it will be something to use when I want to hit a single track day rather than an entire weekend where I would trailer. But also use it for demonstration laps for new drivers. My race car (currently) does not have a passenger seat but I may put one in since I have an extra competition-expired seat.

I did the one track day with it a month after I got it just to have some fun. It had been more years than I care to say out loud when I was able to pack up to leave an event by just putting a few things in a trunk. The older I get, the less desirable it is to deal with a trailer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been running my Alfa Romeo for two seasons at Grand Bend. i have never run it in Race Mode, just Dynamic Mode. I will try it in Race in 2022 to see and feel the difference.
Hi John. You won’t feel much difference if any. But if you get into trouble ie sliding off then you want the traction control on.

Anyone that claims that the car is vastly different in race mode is most likely very mistaken (I’m trying to be polite). I would ask that person what racing background they have to assess their opinion. :)

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
I have been running my Alfa Romeo for two seasons at Grand Bend. i have never run it in Race Mode, just Dynamic Mode. I will try it in Race in 2022 to see and feel the difference.
John, I respectfully disagree with Kitefan69 - I couldn't believe the improvement in the car in Race mode. The TC interferes with me (might be my driving style) on the exit of turn 8 (only the most important turn on track) and the ESC also made braking into 9 much less stable than in Race. There were a few places (4/5/6 and even 7) where I think it was also coming on.

My rear brake pads (or lack thereof, LOL) were telling me that it was kicking in a lot more than previously as I got faster. These wore way too quickly compared to the fronts this time. Up to now, it's been one set rears for two fronts, but this was more like 1:1.5.

In summary, I found it MUCH easier to drive the car smoothly and fast in Race than in Dynamic. The car isn't any faster in terms of power, but my lap times as well as my comfort in pushing the car tell me that this was worth it. Give it a try next year, and I'm really interested in hearing your opinion!

This could be my driving, and also the nature of our track (really, an over-grown goKart track set over an airfield) - so these observations might not apply to every driver on every racetrack.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
John, I respectfully disagree with Kitefan69 - I couldn't believe the improvement in the car in Race mode. The TC interferes with me (might be my driving style) on the exit of turn 8 (only the most important turn on track) and the ESC also made braking into 9 much less stable than in Race. There were a few places (4/5/6 and even 7) where I think it was also coming on.

My rear brake pads (or lack thereof, LOL) were telling me that it was kicking in a lot more than previously as I got faster. These wore way too quickly compared to the fronts this time. Up to now, it's been one set rears for two fronts, but this was more like 1:1.5.

In summary, I found it MUCH easier to drive the car smoothly and fast in Race than in Dynamic. The car isn't any faster in terms of power, but my lap times as well as my comfort in pushing the car tell me that this was worth it. Give it a try next year, and I'm really interested in hearing your opinion!

This could be my driving, and also the nature of our track (really, an over-grown goKart track set over an airfield) - so these observations might not apply to every driver on every racetrack.
Intersting perspective and comments above.
What this shows me is how the car speaks to each individual (and their driving style) uniquely.
I also believe that 'each' 4C has it's OWN individual character that (in the more extreme levels) will speak/whisper/shout it's 'individuality' differently than another 4C.
Very reminiscent to the old school air-cooled 911s where NOT ONE was the same as another.

edit: btw, like the 1989 911, in the 4C, a few pounds difference in tire pressure will most definitely be "SHOWN" whereas the JCW it will be "felt".

·
Registered
52 Posts
@4Canada ... If you find that the traction control is intervening allot while tracking your car, I would look at your setup.

I drive my 4C very hard on track days & run some decent times at Mosport.. Mont Tremblant.. Calabogie.. TMP... (I also raced in my youth & won the Touring car Championship in Canada twice) without any interference from the traction control. Honestly.. On my last video when I hunt down a new C8 Vette.. traction control never came on once.

Perhaps the traction control is telling you about your setup issues. Check your alignment... check condition of your tires... check brand of tires (I use R type)... check air pressure.

Essentially what I am getting at is the 4C is very well balanced and unless you have a lead foot or using construction boots for shoes ;-) ... the car keeps traction extremely well.

David.

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
@4Canada ... If you find that the traction control is intervening allot while tracking your car, I would look at your setup.

I drive my 4C very hard on track days & run some decent times at Mosport.. Mont Tremblant.. Calabogie.. TMP... (I also raced in my youth & won the Touring car Championship in Canada twice) without any interference from the traction control. Honestly.. On my last video when I hunt down a new C8 Vette.. traction control never came on once.

Perhaps the traction control is telling you about your setup issues. Check your alignment... check condition of your tires... check brand of tires (I use R type)... check air pressure.

Essentially what I am getting at is the 4C is very well balanced and unless you have a lead foot or using construction boots for shoes ;-) ... the car keeps traction extremely well.

David.
I have no doubt that the issues lie entirely with my driving, David, not the car setup.

A workman seldom blames his tools. Car has pretty much the GMS track alignment (tire wear suggests that I ought to add some negative camber front and rear but front is @ max until I change the blocks. It's incredibly neutral as it sits, which is why I'm not in a huge rush to change it). GMS rear bushings, Tarox Corsa pads and Tarox rotors. Primarily RE71-R in plus 1 size on 17/18" wheels, although I've had it interfere using other R compound tires as well, in all stages of wear. I just never had the courage to select Race mode on track before this autumn (my mental block). Suspension is OEM non-track, with the heavier swaybars from the track pack. Rest is pretty much stock. Tire pressures usually start at door -2 or -3 psi, and get adjusted from there to keep the car neutral during the day. As the RE's heat up they get greasy but I know to give them one cool down lap and they are pretty good to finish the session on. Tire temperatures when I have had a chance to get a friend monitor, have been remarkably equal left to right and fairly consistent. At this point in my track day journey, if I'm heading for an "off" then the nannies are no longer going to save me anyway.

Grand Bend is a little like TMP but slightly tighter/more technical. Definitely not as free flowing as some of the tracks you list, and somewhat bumpier than most of them.

I do not disagree with your comment that "Anyone that claims that the car is vastly different in race mode is most likely very mistaken (I’m trying to be polite). I would ask that person what racing background they have to assess their opinion.". I wouldn't call it a "vast" difference, but the car is for me a lot easier to drive smoothly in Race vs Dynamic, just as it is in Dynamic over Natural. This very likely is my lack of experience (although that consists of 6 years in the 4C on mostly this track, much of that with competent instruction, I am willing to freely admit that I have a lot to learn, plenty of bad habits from nearly 5 decades of street driving to undo, etc). That's why I'm keen on hearing John's observations next year. He's definitely faster than I am, with a lot more track experience in many different cars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

2022 is here, Happy New Year. Now the countdown begins for the 2022 Whitelaw Automotive Wednesday Track Night season at Grand Bend Raceway. I plan on staying with the same 2021 setup with the goal of setting personal best laps by improving my driving. Then on to 2023 with perhaps some suspension and aero upgrades.

·
Registered
181 Posts

David.
Race mode is quite different for the 4C once you bring up to 10/10ths. At 8/10ths there really isn't any difference. I lapped and autocrossed mine for 6 years and noticed a big difference in feeling and lap times with the car in Race. Both Kevin and John are skilled enough drivers that they would get benefit from putting the car in Race mode.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts