Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Kevin - I may try a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires because of what I have read and because of the price. It should be interesting to keep record of the data and personal best laps for each make tire. Having Fun is the main reason I go to the Track. If my purpose is to become a better driver, then it really doesn’t matter if I have the fastest tire no matter the cost, if my purpose is to record the quickest lap possible and to outperform as many cars as possible then the tire choice is very important. I am leaning towards improving my driving as my priority.

How about the possibility we may be able to run Grand Bend Raceway’s Technical Circuit soon using Assetto Corsa on a PC? This will help put in time before the 2021 Season Opener as well as being a great tool to promote the track and to attract even more Track Day enthusiasts in south west Ontario.

We are going to have Fun.

·
Super Moderator
8,422 Posts
Kevin - I may try a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires because of what I have read and because of the price. It should be interesting to keep record of the data and personal best laps for each make tire. Having Fun is the main reason I go to the Track. If my purpose is to become a better driver, then it really doesn’t matter if I have the fastest tire no matter the cost, if my purpose is to record the quickest lap possible and to outperform as many cars as possible then the tire choice is very important. I am leaning towards improving my driving as my priority.

How about the possibility we may be able to run Grand Bend Raceway’s Technical Circuit soon using Assetto Corsa on a PC? This will help put in time before the 2021 Season Opener as well as being a great tool to promote the track and to attract even more Track Day enthusiasts in south west Ontario.

We are going to have Fun.
I love your attitude....It precisely mirrors mine. Fun is number one above all else.

·
Super Moderator
16,172 Posts
@John Elliot I was thinking about these Firestones as well.
Steven, in that stripped out Crown Victoria police cruiser was running them. Given the weight of that yacht, I thought they did brilliantly. But he’d be able to get a lot more heat in them than we can.

They are certainly a tire that anyone can get, which doesn’t seem to be the case for some of the tires on my wish list.

As for goals, you know that I’ll never be the fastest car (or 4C) on that track. Have given up waiting on that call from Formula 1 a long time ago, LOL. But as long as I’m not getting slower than before, and still having fun, I’ll keep doing it. It’s about learning, enjoying the process, and hanging out with a great group of people. We can do all of that at the Bend!

I’m not much of a sim guy. Don’t have the time, or space in the house to do it. Have an older gen X-Box for which I bought a wheel and pedals off Kijiji for cheap, years ago and have only managed to use it about twice. And my home internet connection doesn’t allow competitive gaming (rural speeds, when it works at all).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Kevin - well said. If the ultimate goal is to have the quickest car then usually one person goes home happy. If the goal is to improve then a lot more people leave happy. If the goal is to have fun and enjoy the Track Time then everyone goes home happy.

I will be switching my sim rig from X Box to PC, I just couldn’t resist the draw of The BEND.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thanks to John Choi and Sim-Track Academy for adding Grand Bend Raceway’s Technical Circuit to the PC version of Assetto Corsa. John is also working on the Long Circuit and perhaps the Mod and Screaming Alien Grand Bend Circuits. Stay tuned.
AAB8FFF0-3F52-4D46-84E0-C1E53004BCCC.jpeg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
May 1st is coming. I need to get my Alfa9 Supply and GMS upgrades installed as well as having the timing belt replaced. I ordered Toyo R888R tires and have my Garmin Catalyst ready along with my ApexPro Coach. We are currently in lockdown so everyone Stay Safe
4307A112-0550-4926-80A9-B10EEC018289.jpeg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The Grand Bend Raceway preseason Preregister Special ends on Monday February 15th. How many Alfa Romeos will get On Track at The BEND in 21?

·
Super Moderator
16,172 Posts
The Grand Bend Raceway preseason Preregister Special ends on Monday February 15th. How many Alfa Romeos will get On Track at The BEND in 21?
Got mine for Christmas.
Can’t wait until opening day May 1st.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Guys, I have to ask... Is the Grand Bend track that fun? You both talk very fondly of it and I haven't been there. You are making me think of making a trip out there this summer with my 4C.
Just an FYI, I have been to many of the great tracks in North America eastern side.

·
Super Moderator
16,172 Posts
Hey Guys, I have to ask... Is the Grand Bend track that fun? You both talk very fondly of it and I haven't been there. You are making me think of making a trip out there this summer with my 4C.
Just an FYI, I have been to many of the great tracks in North America eastern side.
Hey Kitefan69. Hope you do make it to Ontario's West Coast at some point!

If you've been to Cayuga, then you've done a similar track - former Air Force base, flat as a pancake, short-ish layout, not much to hit.
Grand Bend is in better condition overall, has fantastic marshals, EMS, and is run much better IMO.
It also has a stellar group of regular drivers at all levels, so it's a real get-together as much as a track day.
The owner is enthusiastic about making it a good experience and a nice venue.
It offers various track configurations, so it doesn't get old driving the same layout every week. They mix it up a bit, but the majority of the nights are on the Technical layout.
Also, if you overnight in the summer here, you're 5 minutes from one of the nicest beach towns in the province.

If you try to compare it to some of the great tracks in the north-east, like Mosport or Mont Tremblent or Watkins Glenn or VIR, then no, it's not that special.
It is special to us as a local jewel that we support and want to preserve.

·
Super Moderator
16,172 Posts
Here's the layout we drive most often (this was during CSCS a few years ago):

EDIT: not me! :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree the track is great...the participants are great. It's very well run and a ton of fun. I've only been twice (tracked my car once) 4Canada is a great ambassador as is John Elliot both 4C guys. You will enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
BE3C34C7-C7C4-4AEB-96D3-BB682ACBB896.jpeg

I preregistered for opening day May 1st and for all of the 13 Track Nights at Grand Bend Raceway. This is how I have fun with my Alfa. I will most likely enter some other Bend Private Track Days that another group puts on as well. On Track in 21 about 16 times on Ontario’s West Coast. Meanwhile, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Never been on a Race Track? Grand Bend Raceway offers a Novice Run Group to encourage new people to experience driving On Track. Join us for Fun in 2021
8984BFB2-8867-4BBF-BCF1-3C2D58CCB870.jpeg

101 - 116 of 116 Posts