Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Alfa 4C The Bend Track Nights

22K views 352 replies 20 participants last post by  J Elliot 
#1 ·
I bought this 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE #253 to enjoy at Track Events at Grand Bend Raceway on Ontario’s West Coast. Thanks to Kevin and Colin for answering numerous question, Matt at Alfa9 Supply and Rudi at Gale Motorsport for suggestions and excellent service. I will soon be 71 so the Covid19 Virus has resulted in me staying at home to reduce the risk to my family. I have gathered the car and parts after shopping from home. I own a Honda Car Dealership in Chatham so this car will be The Honda House Used Special to promote the Used Vehicle Division. Honda Platinum Technician Jamie is now learning and preparing this 4C by installing GMS Rear Suspension Arms, GMS Front Caster Camber Blocks, from Alfa9 Tarox Brake Rotors, Tarox Brake Lines,Tarox Brake Pads, Hoses and Advan 17/18 Wheels with Hankook RS4 Tires for now. For right now I will run it with the stock ECU, stock tune and stock exhaust. I hope to start back On Track in August.

See less See more
#301 ·
I’d like that.

Sadly, I haven’t even had time to un-box mine, much less set it up.

And making a Wednesday night this year is looking less and less likely.
I need a new job. One that doesn’t take me 40 minutes from home (in the wrong direction) for 12 hours a day and sends me home with work every night on top of that. Serious about this. It’s afforded me a great lifestyle, but does not allow me to have a life!

Feeling especially sorry for myself today. About to go pick up Demelza from the dealership after they cleaned out a bunch of debris from the blower fan. The drive home will cheer me up. ;)

#304 ·
Wednesday evenings (5pm to sunset, couple Weds per month) are put on by the track and cost $100 incl HST.
Renting the track on (available) weekdays, I don’t know the rate. John?
Weekends are pretty much booked up long in advance.

#305 ·
Here is information from their website - Week days are $2,500 plus hst for the day. That includes Marshals, Driver’s Meeting and EMS.

TRACK RENTALS
There are numerous track configurations from 1.4km to 2.8km in length. Rental costs are as follows.

WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS – $5000/day plus hst or $750/hr plus hst

WEEKDAYS – $2500/day plus hst or $350/hr plus hst. minimum 3 hours otherwise additional costs re Ambulance personnel applies ( they are a 3 hr minimum shift)

TO ENQUIRE ABOUT A RENTAL – Look at the schedule re available dates that might work for you and send us an email from our contact info.

All rentals require a 15% deposit at the time of booking, balance to be paid either prior to to or the day of the rental. If cancellation is required (must be at least 3 hours before the rental) a 100% refund is applicable or the deposit can be transferred to an alternate date.

Rentals include Marshals and EMT personnel. All rentals start with a Drivers Mtg to go over the flags/rules etc. followed by a sighting lap of the configuration being used for the rental. All participants must wear a helmet while on track. (GBM has a limited number of helmets for rental – please call and reserve in advance). Convertibles can run with the top down if they have a built in roll bar or rollover system, otherwise they must run with the top up. Passengers are allowed but must also wear a helmet while on track.

RAIN POLICY/CANCELLATION – If you need to cancel (re weather, etc.) we need a minimum of 3 hours notice so we can cancel the EMT’s booked for your rental, otherwise you will incur a $150 charge as once the EMT’s are dispatched from London there is a minimum charge. If weather is looking to be a factor it is best to touch base with us the day before so we can discuss the various options and exchange contact info if a call is to be made early the day of your rental.

INSURANCE – GBM carries a liability policy re our rental & lapping programs, but individual vehicles on the road course are not insured by our policy. Please be Advised – most insurance companies do not cover vehicles participating in on track programs. ALSO rentals that are being run as a business (charging participants a fee to participate) must have their own insurance – we can procure that for you and add it to your rental.

RENTAL OPERATIONS
– To keep all patrons as safe as possible, rentals will operate under the same parameters as our own lapping programs. There will be designated passing zones – NO PASSING THRU CORNERS or TWISTING SECTIONS OF THE RACETRACK, each layout has designated straightaways where passing will be permitted. Basically if you catch the vehicle in front of you you stay behind that vehicle until you get to the designated passing zone/zones – that car will slow down somewhat and move over allowing you to pass. IF you are the vehicle that was caught – once you hit the passing zone – slowdown and move over to let the vehicle/vehicles that caught you pass, (basically passing you like they would on the highway), once they are past you can accelerate back to full speed.

#307 ·
Perfect weather tonight on the Alien Circuit. I recorded 53 laps tonight with a new personal best with the Alfa with a 67.55 second lap. The Nitron Shocks and GMS suspension upgrades have improved the car. I am making better use of the Garmin Catalyst as well. Returning next Wednesday June 28th for another Track Night.
Gesture Font Line Parallel Slope

#309 ·
I was pleasantly surprised that I recorded quicker laps with my Alfa Romeo 4C than I had in my 2018 Boxster 718 GTS four cylinder turbo. This was on the Grand Bend Raceway Alien Circuit. View attachment 145340
Well done!
I’ve never driven the alien layout.
I suspect there is still time there, with better tires (much less with your getting the most out of all those modifications).
Any particular improvement that you can attribute to being the biggest factor in getting those times?

#310 ·
Kevin - watching the Video of Bo on the Technical Circuit over and over again got me to try some different lines, concentrating on looking up, a better understanding of the Garmin Catalyst and reviewing the opportunities between sessions, some driver weight loss, GMS suspension / Rudi advice, the Nitron shocks from Matt at Alfa9 Supply and an attitude adjustment concentrating on maximizing the number of laps per session and less on lap times. Now I have “Race Pace” instead of “Qualifying Pace” set in my mind. I also have fuel with me so I can run the fourth session without concern of running out. Track Time.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive design

#314 ·
Bought these on your suggestion from facebook. Arrived Friday.

The cord looks pretty short. Did you put an extension in the car? They are pretty cheap.

Where did you mount your Catalyst?

#315 ·
Kevin - I will post pictures of my Catalyst installation in my 4C on Wednesday. I do have an extension if needed. I like how flexible the Fuze wire is.

Better yet, see if you can get to the track on Wednesday. Or how about Monday for Tim’s Track Day?

#317 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Sky
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Kevin - pictures of my Garmin Catalyst. The Fuze Earphones work perfect. The wire is long enough without an extension. The sound quality is really good. The foam keeps the earphone in my ear when I put my helmet on and off.

Tonight was a tremendous amount of fun with changing conditions from dry to some drizzle to some light rain over the four sessions.

#318 ·
Nice!
Glad that the weather held for you.

One more question - how did you get the tracks in? I see they are not on the downloadable list from Garmin, and I recall something about your going out one day and entering all of the different configurations. Do you think one can do that on a sighting lap?

#319 ·
I’m not sure if it would set the track on sighting laps. I am sure that Tim would let you on the track before the event starts. I set up the three circuits in just a few minutes, I can help you while you drive, I had my granddaughter set mine from the passenger seat.

#320 ·
July 17 2023 Track Day was amazing. Combo Day for Cars and Motorcycles.I managed to run 67 Laps today as well set a new Personal Best Lap on the Mod Circuit. My best lap ever on the Mod Circuit was set in June 2017 with my 2016 Porsche GT3 RS. I looked back on my Aim Solo Data to compare my best laps in an Alfa versus Porsche comparison. I run the same AIM Solo that I bought in 2010. The comparison is in the picture. I have more track experience now so I believe I would record a better lap in the Porsche than I did six years ago. I ran over one second quicker with the Alfa than I did in 2022.

I ran 67 laps today and will be returning on Thursday with a private Track Day group. So much fun.
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tire

#323 ·
Another great Track Day, this time with Mike’s Group private day. On the Technical Circuit with a variety of interesting cars. Ran a 26 Lap Session, last few laps fuel savings. Total of 62 laps today, but I had to pack it in because my tires need replacing. Back to Grand Bend Raceway next Wednesday July 26th for another Track Night. Kevin, you should make time to join us.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle