Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I had my car wrapped in full body PPF. The installer wasn't happy with one panel (passenger side rear quarter) - it had lifted a bit and the film ended up looking ratty. So, they decided to pull it and reinstall. When removing the film, it pulled off a section of clear coat as well. They'd never seen that before - the reps from 3M were onsite at the time and were pretty perplexed as well. Obviously they'll take care of it, but jeez, talk about questionable quality...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is almost 1-year-old at this point, so it's not an age thing. They did all the necessary stuff for removal (with the 3m rep watching).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sith33, that is truly unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear that happened. We will always tell our clients that there is a small chance that paint can be removed but I would never have imagined that to happen so shortly after the film was installed. I know this doesn't make you feel better but at least this can possibly help other owners.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah - it's no big deal from my perspective (I trust the guys to take care of it) but it doesn't bode well for future owners removing panels.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A few weeks back I had my car wrapped in full body PPF. The installer wasn't happy with one panel (passenger side rear quarter) - it had lifted a bit and the film ended up looking ratty. So, they decided to pull it and reinstall. When removing the film, it pulled off a section of clear coat as well. They'd never seen that before - the reps from 3M were onsite at the time and were pretty perplexed as well. Obviously they'll take care of it, but jeez, talk about questionable quality...

Had the same thing happen to a Gran Turismo on the front bumper (plastic) customer had paint drop on the wrap wanted it replaced. Peeled the paint off the bumper. It was only on for about 2 months.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just picked up my Rosso Alfa coupe yesterday from Paint correction/Xpel and Cquartz Finest. Came out spectacular except for on the passenger door above the door handle when the detailer ran his buffing wheel over it the paint came right off. He said there was only 1-2 microns of clear coat on that area and it looks like they were having issues at the factory and needed to sand/repaint that area previously. He said he has never seen this happen in over 15 years of doing this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just picked up my Rosso Alfa coupe yesterday from Paint correction/Xpel and Cquartz Finest. Came out spectacular except for on the passenger door above the door handle when the detailer ran his buffing wheel over it the paint came right off. He said there was only 1-2 microns of clear coat on that area and it looks like they were having issues at the factory and needed to sand/repaint that area previously. He said he has never seen this happen in over 15 years of doing this.
I'm glad you opted for Cquartz Finest, who did you have do the detail if you do not mind me asking?

As everyone knows already, the paint is incredibly delicate and unfortunately burning the paint can happen even with the most skilled detailer. Finest should definitely help with minimizing the amount of imperfections that could possibly be induced and in turn will minimize the amount of polishing the car will need later on. Enjoy the freshly detailed 4C and post some pictures!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm glad you opted for Cquartz Finest, who did you have do the detail if you do not mind me asking?

As everyone knows already, the paint is incredibly delicate and unfortunately burning the paint can happen even with the most skilled detailer. Finest should definitely help with minimizing the amount of imperfections that could possibly be induced and in turn will minimize the amount of polishing the car will need later on. Enjoy the freshly detailed 4C and post some pictures!!!
Attached are some pics. The Xpel install is flawless. I previously had someone else install 3M Pro and they did a horrible job. This is worlds better. You can't even see it. Before there was hair, dirt and bubbles everywhere along with puckering edges. Granted I paid very little to have it done previously but in the end you get what you pay for.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have actually heard of 3m removing clear upon removal. Normally it is attributed to a bad install. Not saying thats what your installer did but that's what I've heard. Same goes with any wrap which include suntek xpel any other wraps out there. Good luck with getting it fixed any quality autobody will have it looking like new in no time.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear, very unusual.
Unfortunately not.:frown2: I saw a 4C at our Alfa club spring meeting with damaged (understated) paint on the area just above the grille. I guessed he had previously used double sided tape to attach a number plate and then removed the plate at a later date taking a large area of the paint with it.

AlfaArnold

1 - 13 of 13 Posts