Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been discussions comparing the 4C to the Cayman, but it seems the Exige would be the closes competitor as far as size, weight, performance, price and practicality. I've driven Alfas all my life and if i wasn't so loyal to the brand, I would consider an Exige. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Not so sure I'd drive a car that smells of glue. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have driven an Elise for the last 13 years. No glue smell, and an Alfa level of reliability (used to have a 105 2000gtv).
I think the Exige S is the obvious comparison for the 4c, as both at a £50K price point, where a Cayman S really does not get below £60K. My big problem with the Exige is the cabin; to me it feels a bit claustrophobic (it is the same as Elise), entry / egress not good enough for a £50K car, and all a bit too cosy. Have had a sit in the Exige Roadster, and without a roof it is bearable (probably with a glass roof I could live with it). Am really hoping that the 4C cabin feels a bit more relaxed, trim levels look to be more "tourer", and there seems to be enough trim that NVH will be better. Have not sat in (or more interestingly "got in") a 4C yet, but thought I should gamble £16K on it being OK.

It is not that I dont like the Lotus - it gives more performance for the money; nor that I cannot live with the cabin & sill (I am not selling the Elise); I just dont think it is right at the price point (£50K to me is a bit more luxury than just a toy)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
All jokes aside, I think the 4C will be compared to the Lotus Elise and Exige whether AR like it or not. It's got a similar size engine to the Elise, the dimensions are similar and the AR has been designed to be a hard-core sports car. As much as people would like to compare the 4C to the Cayman S, they are very different cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
kaliber said:
All jokes aside, I think the 4C will be compared to the Lotus Elise and Exige whether AR like it or not. It's got a similar size engine to the Elise, the dimensions are similar and the AR has been designed to be a hard-core sports car. As much as people would like to compare the 4C to the Cayman S, they are very different cars.
Agreed!

See my comparison of 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C vs 2008 Lotus Elise SC

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "compare". That could mean so many things.

I looked at the Lotus years ago. It's just not for me. I can appreciate the them following their traditions but the Japanese motor, the Froggy looks with black grills everywhere, the tiny interior, and the roof were a total turn off.

A car to me is more than just numbers. It has to excite me on some level more than that. The Lotus just didn't.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
The driver of the 4C that the camera is in, has a much better skill set than any other driver he passed. A few of those cars should have given the 4C some trouble, yet he walked away from them without trouble.

Good driving, who ever you are.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In 2012 after having seen the Top Gear report on the Evora I was kind of infected to get a "real" sports car. Pricing was in the range just not to ruin me completely so I drove the Evora at a dealership here. Driving was fun but car´s interior was poor, very few dealers/garages only... dropped that idea, last year they wanted to sell me a Cayman, well processed, good performance, all-over dealer network...but when you look at it, ...somehow boring.

To be honest it was my best friend who told me then thhat for him the most beautiful car would be an Alfa, they´d call it 4C. First I thought "poor processing, it´s an Alfa".
I googled it, it was love of first sight. Then read about it and tried -as it happens when you fall in love- to do anything about iher at least to see her. First date was in December, no questions anymore then. 1st Feb I signed...
To me it´s the very best compromise of the actually most beautiful car, performance and price. Service we´ll see :D
Now, I don´t think anymore about the Evora or Exige. She would become jealous, wouldn´t she.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The driver of the 4C that the camera is in, has a much better skill set than any other driver he passed. A few of those cars should have given the 4C some trouble, yet he walked away from them without trouble.

Good driving, who ever you are.
Driver with the camera in his car has A LOT more confidence under braking than the cars he is overtaking! Great driving..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had 4 Lotus..........2 x Elise and 2 x Exige.

I've never driven a 4C but have ordered on the view that I see the 4C an evolution.
Or maybe I should say the next generation of this type of car.

The MK3 Exige for me has lost a little direction........the price is a hike as well.

Just my thoughts and nothing else.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, the driver in the video knows what he's doing. The lead driver in the white Alfa was taking the wrong line everytime, braking too early, etc.

That is ridiculously frustrating when you're tailing someone and no room to pass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Which car has a greater level of durability over 100,0000 miles.

Nothing more annoying over the entire ownership experience than a car failing on a continual basis.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exige V6 will be faster than 4c, will handle better, has probably equal brand cachet, costs similar, and from the (top of the range / more expensive) one at Goodwood, is as well / better put together

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well, an Exige V6 would have cost me 20 000 Euro more. That's standard. If I wanted to have the roadster with the extremely nice interior, that would have been more like 30 000 more. That's about a Megane RS. So Exige V6 or 4C + Megane RS... Exige would still not do it for me.
If they were priced the same, probably Exige, because I love Lotus and it is whopping fast.

But it just isn't with the market here in mainland Europe. Actually, here it goes into the same price, tax and insurance bracket as a Nissan GT-R. Which when it comes to be being faster....

1 - 20 of 274 Posts